• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WJR

Reaction score
Nice find! 1204...just made the cut for 2004 :fonz:

I miss my OG Talon 246. It truly was one of my all time favorite Filson’s. What are your plans for the 248?

Thank you. I have been using my navy suit cover and duffles for business travel. I plan to use the OG 248 for personal travel where I like to take extra clothes for exercise and contingency for extending a trip.

WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally not Filson related, but what are you guys wearing for cologne? I’ve been wearing Fahrenheit since 94, thinking of a change…

Personally speaking I've distanced myself from colognes utilizing dry alcohol and have opted for something with a different kind of firewater :lol:

I've used their bar soap in the past with very positive results so I figured I'd give the natural cologne a try, off to a very good start so far.

bourbon cologne.jpg

I'm a huge Duke Cannon proprietor; I've had many of their 10oz Soap Bars and the Bourbon Beard Balm, so naturally I thought I'd give the Solid Cologne a try. Even if I just end up with the cool embossed tin, I'm already a winner. With either you won't smell like a bar, trust me, just a manly woodsy scent with an undertone of bourbon notes (honey, vanilla, oak, etc)

DCSC.jpg

Reactions: WJR

Bespoke49er

Reaction score
On the good news front, at least for Alaskans, it appears Filson is opening a retail location in the SEA-TAC airport! Maybe someday the “Alaskan Outfitter” will honor us with a retail location in Anchorage, where over one-third of state’s population resides….

53666F72-AF45-492B-8F72-1CE10FE85F35.jpeg

14538A91-F5BF-4AEC-8DB5-7B5B56AECBA9.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a Filson post but I know at least one member who will appreciate this. Our brother from the other side of the pond @speedy611 . I decided now was no better time to fix an issue with my feet. A little backstory; I have big feet :fonz: . But I also have a condition that I’ve been living with for 25 years where my toes randomly dislocate. I’ve been researching that barefoot shoes (or minimilist footwear) can strengthen my ligaments, so the deep dive began.

My shoes are now Lems Trailheads, which are now of the minimalist variety. A small company of about 8 people in Colorado:

0A2CADF5-16FF-4E86-97AF-26049D9857C5.jpeg

Your feet are connected to the earth, free to move around as God intended. 2 hours in these and my feet were exhausted, which can only mean that something is getting stronger.

7724ED76-AFB8-4208-AE40-416CB718E673.jpeg

Now for the big reveal. Keeping in mind I am the furthest thing from the a-typical “hipster”, these sandals will most certainly make the difference where it counts. Now I just have to find a way to assimilate...with my wardrobe

05258326-709A-4C25-AD0F-95A719446B47.jpeg

Patina anyone?

096F62BC-7EB5-4459-86A9-48A69EE90115.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the good news front, at least for Alaskans, it appears Filson is opening a retail location in the SEA-TAC airport! Maybe someday the “Alaskan Outfitter” will honor us with a retail location in Anchorage, where over one-third of state’s population resides….

View attachment 1710520
View attachment 1710521

I would love to get an Alaskan perspective on Filson, given the beginnings of the company. Keeping that in mind, I would also like to hear what they think about this $895 garment. The Klondike Wool Anorak. Looks warm...but not for that price.

C745E2E6-41B0-431A-97D8-59DC3139317B.png

With New Jersey winters soon approaching soon, with it’s 5 degrees Fahrenheit and below, I’m more than happy with this combination.

My 1960 Style No.16 Forestry Cruiser paired with my Otter Green Ultralight Vest. Since I sold my Rugged Twill Logger Cap I’ll have to replace it with my handmade watchcap my aunt made me (picture pending)

B8A3436E-5C5D-4845-8AD1-337D5E843C6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Goofy

Reaction score
Not a Filson post but I know at least one member who will appreciate this. Our brother from the other side of the pond @speedy611 . I decided now was no better time to fix an issue with my feet. A little backstory; I have big feet :fonz: . But I also have a condition that I’ve been living with for 25 years where my toes randomly dislocate. I’ve been researching that barefoot shoes (or minimilist footwear) can strengthen my ligaments, so the deep dive began.

My shoes are now Lems Trailheads, which are now of the minimalist variety. A small company of about 8 people in Colorado:

View attachment 1710543

Your feet are connected to the earth, free to move around as God intended. 2 hours in these and my feet were exhausted, which can only mean that something is getting stronger.

View attachment 1710542

Now for the big reveal. Keeping in mind I am the furthest thing from the a-typical “hipster”, these sandals will most certainly make the difference where it counts. Now I just have to find a way to assimilate...with my wardrobe

View attachment 1710540

Patina anyone?

View attachment 1710541
That patina must be accompanied by a filthy stench.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That patina must be accompanied by a filthy stench.

I don’t speak from experience but I would think the open air would combat that. But then again no more then a pair of sweaty socks crammed inside a pair of Allen Edmond Strands on a hot summer day...foot coffins as I now refer to those as. Yeah one could argue I’ve embraced the barefoot shoe lifestyle :cool:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t speak from experience but I would think the open air would combat that. But then again no more then a pair of sweaty socks crammed inside a pair of Allen Edmond Strands on a hot summer day...foot coffins as I now refer to those as. Yeah one could argue I’ve embraced the barefoot shoe lifestyle :cool:

Open air definitely does not help, though the leather top sole of Birks combats the funk better than the rubber on Teva or Chaco sandals.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Open air definitely does not help, though the leather top sole of Birks combats the funk better than the rubber on Teva or Chaco sandals.

I guess like with anything it’s how you care for them. Like keeping them dry and out of sitting water or maintaining the suede footbed and the corks. For cork upkeep i ended up settling on Kelly’s over what Birkenstock sells; I like the end results better (glossy instead of matte).

71C9BCF0-225A-4991-B874-71508C420B34.jpeg

What I liked about Birkenstock is that you can dress them up or down. Now I just have to find a barefoot dress shoe. Lems retired these boat shoes, which I’ve been trying to locate in a 13/14

0E085F08-3615-4B41-B06C-8F07ECED9204.jpeg

Today they just offer these Nine2Fives, which I’m not sold on yet. At the very least, they don’t stand out like your typical minimalists. Speaking of which isn’t the company located in your town?

BC7B05EE-A0EF-4B8D-8D15-13DF610AACC0.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As ever @OtterMeanGreen you have an amazing memory. Yes, I’m a fan of minimal and zero drop shoes. I also wear birk Boston clogs in rotation with my redwings. I was for a while a beta tester of some Xero shoes products and I still think their sandals are about the best around.

In one of my occasional “off topic but somehow vaguely relevant for Filson folk with similar tastes, here’s a project I’ve been working on. (Please be gentle @Stratkat!)

This box of bits was acquired for £15

0FD45180-460E-4224-B910-36957D871F1B.jpeg

and has become
AAAB6F3C-5DF4-4DB9-96F9-512D28BF8123.jpeg

I’ve never done a guitar before so lots of learning on the electrics, setting the neck, leveling frets etc. Hard to see but the strap is also done by me on a vintage 1940s singer sewing machine that can handle both fabric and the leather ends. Lastly wood turned control knobs in local cherry. All very satisfying. It plays well and sounds good, at least to my untutored ear.

Sorry not to be posting more - busy at work and working at home so the gear doesn’t get as much use as I’d like!

View attachment 1710543

View attachment 1710542

View attachment 1710540

Patina anyone?

View attachment 1710541

Last edited:

Cbfox

Reaction score
As ever @OtterMeanGreen you have an amazing memory. Yes, I’m a fan of minimal and zero drop shoes. I also wear birk Boston clogs in rotation with my redwings. I was for a while a beta tester of some Xero shoes products and I still think their sandals are about the best around.

In one of my occasional “off topic but somehow vaguely relevant for Filson folk with similar tastes, here’s a project I’ve been working on. (Please be gentle @Stratkat!)

This box of bits was acquired for £15

View attachment 1710970

and has become
View attachment 1710972

I’ve never done a guitar before so lots of learning on the electrics, setting the neck, leveling frets etc. Hard to see but the strap is also done by me on a vintage 1940s singer sewing machine that can handle both fabric and the leather ends. Lastly wood turned control knobs in local cherry. All very satisfying. It plays well and sounds good, at least to my untutored ear.

Sorry not to be posting more - busy at work and working at home so the gear doesn’t get as much use as I’d like!

Nice work. I haven’t posted here in quite a while (still working remote 60% of the time and little air travel). But I’m working on something similar for the bassist in the family band:

758D7A5D-11E2-4FB3-A5B3-28845AFB9842.jpeg

This is before sanding/clear nitro and polishing which I hope to get around to in the next week or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads