• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for giving Chance a loving life he could never have dreamed of in those dark early days. You all must have been his entire world, but boy do they become our world as well and they leave outsize holes when they leave and there is rarely a harder decision. ❤
No dogs here but totally get it as we have 2 cats who are part of the family. We lost a kitten to a feline corona virus (!) 3 years ago so…feel for you @OtterMeanGreen

found this pic online the other day -
6316346A-7CD6-44E3-A880-CF5E58145962.jpeg

I’m in the process of rebuilding/ renovating a guitar so seemed appropriate. I might be needing advice from our resident luthier @Stratkat!

This is my starting point …
40C7ED9A-E9D2-4ECE-BBF4-06871F5A8283.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for giving Chance a loving life he could never have dreamed of in those dark early days. You all must have been his entire world, but boy do they become our world as well and they leave outsize holes when they leave and there is rarely a harder decision. ❤

Thank you so very much for your condolences. You are absolutely right! Chance gave us so many happy memories in the 7.5 years he spent as a part of the family. I know I won't forget him and all the incredible times we shared for the rest of my days, for as many as I have left. I use to say about Chance that he once dreamed of a better life, a life that every dog deserves, only to wake up to a nightmare. Now he has nightmares of his old life (which I witnessed plenty).... but he now wakes up to a dream.

What's even crazier and meant to be was a gift I received for Christmas, less then 3 months before his passing. You see when Chance was rescued the family that had him before was taken into custody and arraigned in court. The Foster Mom (who to this day I refer to as Aunt Sue) took the Stand in Chances' defense and publicly shamed the couple. The punishment didn't fit the crime but at least she got to tell them to their faces what awful monsters they were. However they never revealed Chance's breed or how old he was. So all we had to go by was a dental assessment, which could've been anything given his emaciated state. We went with the earliest date which was age 5, but he could've just as easily been 7. The date he came home to his Forever Family was the date we gave him as his "Rebirth Day" (10-28-2013).

After 6 months in our family his Foster Mom made this collage for us.

4F34D3B0-5A2E-431F-B3AB-5ADAB2B51A2D.jpeg

What I was starting to get at before with this Christmas gift was this. Until that day we never saw a dog that looked like our Chance. We looked everywhere too, I can't even begin to explain how many failed google searches. There was one dog that resembled his face but that lead fell flat. It wasn't until that book "Why Dogs Are Better Then Cats" (no offense to our Cat brothers and sisters :fonz: ) that the search found us.

I was thinking; “ wouldn’t it be cool if I found a dog that looked exactly like one of ours” not thinking for a second I’d flip to the very page that feartured Chance’s long lost kin:

6DCA1C22-49EF-4707-8F4A-181B80F84E12.jpeg

With this inscription right next to it (like Fate was trying to tell us something).

0E405395-A74C-446D-B0F6-9951A2360A9C.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Captured the 257 in work mode whilst chilling with a dark lager at the busstop Bavarian on the way home from assessing final term student paramedic residentials. Storm season necessitates the emergency Blunt brolly, which fits nicely in an end pocket. The Thermos King is rather a tighter fit at the other end due to its shoulders, but 'tis non-negotiable (no coffee = no workee) and I appreciate the good location despite the squeeze.

I have a love:hate relationship with the internal pockets. I love good organisation in a bag but they encroach so much into the middle space that there is no middle space. I'd have preferred them upon the wall of the first section with sturdier backing so that they did not flop medially so much; on the upside I appreciate things remaining where they are put within each pouch. I know others here have amputated those internal structures but such a radical procedure seems risky.

The bag has become somewhat bedazzled, coming to me as it was a blank canvas (I can't help myself; you should see my office!). My friend on the end is Sally, vintage Prada robot; many of the pins you may recognise, whilst the luggage tag is off my LV Tadao that was my work bag for 8 years before moving from the coated canvas to the waxed canvas side. They really need to include strap keepers to keep the tails in order on these shoulder straps, it does rather flap. View attachment 1686914 View attachment 1686915 View attachment 1686916

I love what you created with your 257!! That Prada Bot tells me you have a fun loving character and the various pins you have placed really help it stand out from the bunch. Also great job at utilizing both end pockets, that's something I have yet to do with mine.

I can’t compare to the quantity of pins but I really am still loving my Filson of Great Jones Street adorned Filson, which is also a collectors item considering the NYC location is permanently closed :( . That’s where I also bought my Rugged Twill Logger Cap that recently sold.

BCD12141-2FA2-45FA-AD29-46E49A3497D2.jpeg

Maybe I’ll add a few more one day

FD1D1E28-5739-49FE-B93B-3A9899F16D8B.jpeg

I must admit, even though the newer NY Flagship location is infinitely larger and features more items and vintage art, I will always have more of a connection with Great Jones, since it was my first Filson store.

A little piece from Filson when the location opened in 2014

271A4B3B-2B4A-44D3-9665-5823AE90EA36.jpeg

Not much wider then 2 parked cars (for scale). I took both of these photos in November 2018. That was two months prior to meeting @mgrennier and @Davey13 at the new Flagship location not far away in Union Square.

C95D718C-C00D-4108-ABCB-4C404AC76ECF.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No dogs here but totally get it as we have 2 cats who are part of the family. We lost a kitten to a feline corona virus (!) 3 years ago so…feel for you @OtterMeanGreen

View attachment 1687153

I’m in the process of rebuilding/ renovating a guitar so seemed appropriate. I might be needing advice from our resident luthier @Stratkat!

View attachment 1687154

Thanks Speedy! It’s been almost 7 months since he left us, but the sting is still there when I start thinking about him. Luckily over the years I took over 2000 pictures and videos of him, so I have much to remind myself how blessed I was. I’m sure the same is to be true with your 4 legged family members.

I will say that from the posts I’ve seen from yourself and @Stratkat make having cats seem pretty cool! Sorry for sounding like a newb but that’s what I am. I’ve only ever had dogs since I was born. Who knows, maybe one day that will change.

Also excited for your new project. The patina on that old guitar is liquid cool! What are you going to be preserving from the bones?

Last edited:

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen I cannot comprehend the cruelty of people. Thank goodness there are plenty of wonderful folk in the world too such as Chance's rescuers and yourselves to redress the harm where possible. Those monsters should have been locked away in a similar manner and left to rot. :censored:

On a happier note, that's pretty neat to find his furry doppelganger in that book! The scruffy ones seem always so charming in their cheery disarray. I bet he left fluff on everything; you can always tell those with beloved pets due to their light dusting of fur. I even have Toot fur on my office chair and she's never visited, whilst my still-fresh Filsons are similarly coated yet she's never carried them! :tongue:

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Two months into becoming a Filsonette, and I am already seeking a third bag. Anyone have a Small Field Bag they're not using? I don't mind marks so long as the leather is in good condition. Would prefer OG or black but happy to consider tan too.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone was interested in a pretty well preserved XL Talon Era Duffel. It features the wide shoulder strap we all know and love. Pretty fair price too, minus that cost for shipping.

Filson XL.PNG

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG - sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I think it's wonderful you were able to provide such an awesome life, home and companionship after what he went through. My mom picked up stray animals often when I was a kid - I stopped counting in my early teens as the number approached 80 (she still keeps dog and cat food in her glove compartment). She currently has three foster dogs and three foster cats.

My wife and I found a stray beagle ~1yo on the side of the highway not long after we were out of college - she was scratched to hell, very beat up from being in the woods, covered in fleas and very skinny. We named her Roadie and had her for a dozen years before we realized that my wife's recurring bouts with bronchitis were because she was allergic to dogs. Roadie went to live with my mother for another 7 years.

We lost our 15yo Maltipoo in August, and it's been rough on the family. Your pic of the last time you saw Chance reminded me of the same pic I have of "Cookie." I comfort myself and my family that we had so much time and so much love for this family member, and that's what we can do. The dogs deserve it, and there are so many that don't get a chance to experience it. I hope you take comfort in the incredible gift you were able to provide to Chance.

Hope this finds you well - cheers!

Stratkat

Reaction score

View attachment 1687153

View attachment 1687154
Fantastic Strat, hopefully not a relic job!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG - sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I think it's wonderful you were able to provide such an awesome life, home and companionship after what he went through. My mom picked up stray animals often when I was a kid - I stopped counting in my early teens as the number approached 80 (she still keeps dog and cat food in her glove compartment). She currently has three foster dogs and three foster cats.

My wife and I found a stray beagle ~1yo on the side of the highway not long after we were out of college - she was scratched to hell, very beat up from being in the woods, covered in fleas and very skinny. We named her Roadie and had her for a dozen years before we realized that my wife's recurring bouts with bronchitis were because she was allergic to dogs. Roadie went to live with my mother for another 7 years.

We lost our 15yo Maltipoo in August, and it's been rough on the family. Your pic of the last time you saw Chance reminded me of the same pic I have of "Cookie." I comfort myself and my family that we had so much time and so much love for this family member, and that's what we can do. The dogs deserve it, and there are so many that don't get a chance to experience it. I hope you take comfort in the incredible gift you were able to provide to Chance.

Hope this finds you well - cheers!

Thanks brother!! Sorry for your lose. That sounds like quite the life you were able to provide for Cookie. Maltipoo's are very adorable. I had one go after my leg once in a customers house, it felt like I was getting attacked by a tissue :) . Thanks for the kind words and I do take comfort in that sentiment. I extend the same to you!

That's a really great memory of your youth, hold onto it. Even though I can't share in that experience, most of our 4 legged family members came from rescue shelters...or the pound/kennel, as it was once called. Chance may have been the one with the most emotional freight but believe it or not he wasn't the worst case our family took in. The story would break your heart, so I'm gonna omit it, but basically Chance gave us a second chance to love a dog like that again, which is why his name was so perfect.

Your mom certainly has the gift such as our "Aunt Sue", it takes something I can't imagine to be a Foster parent, to human or animal. Roadie sounds like a perfect name for her and that sounds like she had a life most dogs dream of, despite her beginnings. Chance was the oldest dog we ever had in our family, but it's hard not to feel cheated since he was only in it for 7.5 years of his life. Saying that I can't imagine what it must feel like to have a dog that long, multiple times, that truly is a gift!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen I cannot comprehend the cruelty of people. Thank goodness there are plenty of wonderful folk in the world too such as Chance's rescuers and yourselves to redress the harm where possible. Those monsters should have been locked away in a similar manner and left to rot. :censored:

On a happier note, that's pretty neat to find his furry doppelganger in that book! The scruffy ones seem always so charming in their cheery disarray. I bet he left fluff on everything; you can always tell those with beloved pets due to their light dusting of fur. I even have Toot fur on my office chair and she's never visited, whilst my still-fresh Filsons are similarly coated yet she's never carried them! :tongue:

I'm pretty sure one of his abusers was an elementary school teacher if you could believe that. If it wasn't for her underage daughter who tried to turn in Chance to a shelter, they never would've followed her home (because she was underage) and sent in an undercover investigator.

Thanks, it was further proof that miracles exist, especially in the times when we need them the most. Chance was certainly a scruffy dog, but surprisingly didn't leave much of his hair anywhere. I made this for my Mom for her Birthday, 2 months prior to his passing. The main photo was actually the very first photo we saw of Chance when we were searching for a dog. It was the only photo of him on the website, which I thought was odd, then I met him for the first time and realized why. His Foster Mom knew that many wouldn't want to take in a dog so damaged; emotionally and physically.

IMG_4522.JPG

As some of you might recall, for awhile now I was searching for a Ranger Green GR2 to replace my Coyote Brown (or Filson Tan as I call it), which I was planning on selling soon after. When Chance passed, I realized that he was connected to it and there was no way I could ever part with it.

IMG_3073.JPG

I recently used it, along with my Filson 264 when I traveled to Iowa and Indiana for a trip to the Iowa State Fair, Field of Dreams movie site, and Indianapolis Speedway.

IMG_6881.JPG

Last edited:

nicholasjohn

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone have any feedback on the Sportsman bags, either the original and heritage? Thinking of getting one for my Dad for his 60th, he’s an avid sportsman and general country pursuits type.

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
Posting my current "hunt" list, in case anyone has a lead they'd be so kind as to share. I know some of these are long shots, but this group is undoubtedly one of the best places to ask :)

- Tan zippered tote with Talon zipper.
- Filson x Harris Tweed 256 briefcase in green or blue.
- Black zippered tote (any version).
- Journeyman backpack blue (1st or 2nd get preferred)
- Any Filson x Nanamica bags.

Cheers ?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone have any feedback on the Sportsman bags, either the original and heritage? Thinking of getting one for my Dad for his 60th, he’s an avid sportsman and general country pursuits type.
Get it. It's one of the best Filson bags ever put into production. I am not really an avid sportsman, but find reasons to use mine ALL THE TIME. Such a great form factor, tough as a box of nails, looks great dirty or clean. Great bag. Probably the only one in my entire collection (about 10 bags) that I would never consider selling. Just too good as an all-purpose bag.

Right now, mine is in the back of the Jeep holding winter gear - gloves, winter hats, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads