• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
thank you Stratkat , mine gets the least use maybe because I keep it in the car filled with car essentials , also I don't like the strap it keep slipping from my shoulder, despite I feel bad doing it I bought Filson new cloth strap, which is far more stable and comfortable but not as classic looking. it might be because I didn't break in the leather?
regarding the new leather one I am so tempted despite the price, I like the color combination and shiny look . even though like you I like twill more , I really don't know

The leather version has a wool backing on the strap pad. Whether that makes it slip more or less, I do not know. But, it sure is a nice touch.

mistersock

Reaction score
hey guys!
could somebody post a picture of the medium field bag with a 13" notebook in it? does it fit well enough or... nah?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather version has a wool backing on the strap pad. Whether that makes it slip more or less, I do not know. But, it sure is a nice touch.
I can say for 100% sure that the wool backed straps that come with the weatherproof collection are my favorite strap Filson has ever made. It’s like the old pad less but with a little more support to cut the weight of the bag.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys!
could somebody post a picture of the medium field bag with a 13" notebook in it? does it fit well enough or... nah?
Medium field bag with a MacBook Pro 13 inch.

Going to be selling this one as I don’t use it. Let me know if interested.
… I must add though, that my medium field bag gets more use than all my Filson gear (except my packer hat), it’s always by the front door, ready to go on an adventure!
Stratkat - I don't find myself using the med field bag all that much. Can't find a reson for it

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium field bag with 13 inch MacBook Pro

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 65

PotatoPot

Reaction score
Anyone has experience using filson bags in their weatherproof leather? Am tempted to get their small field bag in leather but still on the fence.. wondering how their patina is like… would love it if anyone has pictures to share. Thank you!

mohamed alfaris

Reaction score
I can say for 100% sure that the wool backed straps that come with the weatherproof collection are my favorite strap Filson has ever made. It’s like the old pad less but with a little more support to cut the weight of the bag.
thank you friends I noticed that add-on and glad to know its great strap as I find the current one not so stable unless you have to wear it as cross body .
may I ask TinMan3 which model you have?

mohamed alfaris

Reaction score
Going to be selling this one as I don’t use it. Let me know if interested.

Stratkat - I don't find myself using the med field bag all that much. Can't find a reson for it
I agree with you ,I tried to force my self to use it but found it a bit bulky for everyday use. so I kept it in the car to store essentials. what do you use as everyday bag if I may ask? I actually bought the leather medium I hope the leather one would be more practical, if not I might return it for small leather field bag.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you ,I tried to force my self to use it but found it a bit bulky for everyday use. so I kept it in the car to store essentials. what do you use as everyday bag if I may ask? I actually bought the leather medium I hope the leather one would be more practical, if not I might return it for small leather field bag.
My every day carry is the 257 these days. I have a 256 (original brief) but I find it just a wee bit too small for what I carry. Since I'm not going to the office every day - only once every 2-3 weeks, I tend to carry MORE those days and the 257 is just a better size for me.

That said, I did remove the inner divider in my 257. I thought it was just extra weight and it provides the advantage of a larger center section. I have an AER slim pac for my electronics and it slides in there nicely.

That said, I just purchased a Filson X Magnum Harvey messenger bag that MAY end up replacing the 257 as EDC. We will see - I get it in the next couple days.

mohamed alfaris

Reaction score
My every day carry is the 257 these days. I have a 256 (original brief) but I find it just a wee bit too small for what I carry. Since I'm not going to the office every day - only once every 2-3 weeks, I tend to carry MORE those days and the 257 is just a better size for me.

That said, I did remove the inner divider in my 257. I thought it was just extra weight and it provides the advantage of a larger center section. I have an AER slim pac for my electronics and it slides in there nicely.

That said, I just purchased a Filson X Magnum Harvey messenger bag that MAY end up replacing the 257 as EDC. We will see - I get it in the next couple days.
nice buy I was looking for one myself as photographer but they were too expensive at the time, now I regret not buying it, I bought a camera insert from Billingham, one as half insert the other as full insert with color that is rare to be available I hope the new leather one will be more practical though. I will share a photo once I get it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 5.54.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 5.54.31 PM.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 5.54.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 5.54.38 PM.png
    481.8 KB · Views: 50

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you friends I noticed that add-on and glad to know its great strap as I find the current one not so stable unless you have to wear it as cross body .
may I ask TinMan3 which model you have?
I have the leather 256. It’s a wonderful bag. I also have the leather journeyman which is also fantastic. I’ve got more miles on the 256 than the journeyman though and it has patinad well. I’ll get some pics sometime if you would like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads