• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Filson made improvements after 2017? My new 48-hour bag I just bought directly from Filson has a date code of 2019. I've only used it twice but handle straps don't show any signs of wrinkling.

Filson definitely made improvements after 2017/2018. IIRC mid to late 2018 this QC issue was reigned in but what you see being offered since 2019 till today is a different bridle leather, or at least a different finishing treatment. It’s pretty darn flawless but in many cases it lacks character, which some might find clashing versus other eras.

Popular example I use. Here are two of my Talon Era Filson’s. I don’t own the MTB anymore and I just sold the hat...yup you heard that correctly.

1E141E2D-DC4E-4203-B2EE-E3685965CF42.jpeg

heq206

Reaction score
Filson definitely made improvements after 2017/2018. IIRC mid to late 2018 this QC issue was reigned in but what you see being offered since 2019 till today is a different bridle leather, or at least a different finishing treatment. It’s pretty darn flawless but in many cases it lacks character, which some might find clashing versus other eras.

Popular example I use. Here are two of my Talon Era Filson’s. I don’t own the MTB anymore and I just sold the hat...yup you heard that correctly.

View attachment 1674138

Really appreciate you taking the time for your input and for adding photos of your older bags.

Beautiful bags you got there! I love the look of the "thin" padded shoulder strap!

tripreed

Reaction score
100% ZERO issues with that bag. That will fit super easily.
Any main line airline will have no problem. I've put my zippered tote underseat on Delta, SW, United in the last year. Just ensure the zippered side is pointed away from the aisle or the beverage cart will fight with your straps. YMMV on Spirit, Frontier, or other discount carriers.

Thank you very much, guys!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of non-bag, non-clothes Filson offerings, Christmas presents getting some use. One for splitting firewood and the other for toting it. The former made by Estwing in the USA. You may be able to see “Filson” on the handle. The latter is the same twill cloth as the bags. (Monogram by a friend not included.) 87BE26AA-3003-40A6-B750-BBDDC4B4F952.jpeg

mohamed alfaris

Reaction score
hi guys
did you see this or I am late to the game, anyhow what do you thing about it? its so expensive but very beautiful despite my current twill one isn't so functional as I thought it would.
which is more durable the twill or this one?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 12.38.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 12.38.55 PM.png
    562.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
hi guys
did you see this or I am late to the game, anyhow what do you thing about it? its so expensive but very beautiful despite my current twill one isn't so functional as I thought it would.
which is more durable the twill or this one?
Well of course the leather would be more durable. In the end though, it’s gotta be twill for me, Filson does it so well!

Stratkat

Reaction score
… I must add though, that my medium field bag gets more use than all my Filson gear (except my packer hat), it’s always by the front door, ready to go on an adventure!

mohamed alfaris

Reaction score
thank you Stratkat , mine gets the least use maybe because I keep it in the car filled with car essentials , also I don't like the strap it keep slipping from my shoulder, despite I feel bad doing it I bought Filson new cloth strap, which is far more stable and comfortable but not as classic looking. it might be because I didn't break in the leather?
regarding the new leather one I am so tempted despite the price, I like the color combination and shiny look . even though like you I like twill more , I really don't know

Stratkat

Reaction score
thank you Stratkat , mine gets the least use maybe because I keep it in the car filled with car essentials , also I don't like the strap it keep slipping from my shoulder, despite I feel bad doing it I bought Filson new cloth strap, which is far more stable and comfortable but not as classic looking. it might be because I didn't break in the leather?
regarding the new leather one I am so tempted despite the price, I like the color combination and shiny look . even though like you I like twill more , I really don't know
I wouldn’t feel bad, that’s a really good strap! I really should get a few myself. Mine currently has the wider strap sans pad. It works great for the field bag because I usually don’t carry a huge amount of weight in it. I love the thing…

mohamed alfaris

Reaction score
I wouldn’t feel bad, that’s a really good strap! I really should get a few myself. Mine currently has the wider strap sans pad. It works great for the field bag because I usually don’t carry a huge amount of weight in it. I love the thing…
good to know I am not alone :) I got one to try it out and it seem I am getting another one from my small field bag

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm going to be selling a couple of my favorite Filson bags. Only reason is that I am traveling a lot less for work and really don't need them as much. Plus - I'm funding ANOTHER bag that I just bought on the big bay. More on that later.

1. Vintage Large Carry-On (242). As you'll see in the pics, the leather is the buttery leather
Library - 2 of 9.jpeg
Library - 1 of 9.jpeg
Library - 3 of 9.jpeg
Library - 4 of 9.jpeg
Library - 5 of 9.jpeg
Library - 9 of 9.jpeg
Library - 8 of 9.jpeg
Library - 7 of 9.jpeg
Library - 6 of 9.jpeg
Library - 2 of 9.jpeg
Library - 2 of 9.jpeg
you only hear about on Filson bags. This thing is in truly incredible shape. Talon zippers, old-school tag, the heavy twill is perfect.This is truly a one-of-a-kind item.

I'll also be posting a Small Pullman in my next post

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm going to be selling a couple of my favorite Filson bags. Only reason is that I am traveling a lot less for work and really don't need them as much. Plus - I'm funding ANOTHER bag that I just bought on the big bay. More on that later.

1. Vintage Large Carry-On (242). As you'll see in the pics, the leather is the buttery leather
View attachment 1675725 View attachment 1675726 View attachment 1675727 View attachment 1675728 View attachment 1675729 View attachment 1675730 View attachment 1675731 View attachment 1675732 View attachment 1675733 View attachment 1675725 View attachment 1675725 you only hear about on Filson bags. This thing is in truly incredible shape. Talon zippers, old-school tag, the heavy twill is perfect.This is truly a one-of-a-kind item.

I'll also be posting a Small Pullman in my next post

One of the best looking 242 examples I have seen. The leather looks perfect. I have gotten a lot of miles out of my 242. I like it a lot for business travel.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s a whole world out there. Who knew? First biz trip on a looong time. 242, vintage Schott, tweed.

View attachment 1673793

View attachment 1673792
Nice. Another 242 in action. And like me you use it for business. One thing I love about is that it’s tough as nails: I never worry where I put it down or if it’s checked at the gate. It never seems to look any worse for wear.

My only criticism is that when you hand carry it, the handle is attached to the top flap so it pulls up on it giving the bag an odd elongated appearance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads