• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I know this topic has been addressed before, but thought I'd ask instead of trying to read through hundreds of pages trying to find a general answer/consensus on whether or not leather wrinkling on only one side of my 256 bag is normal?

I bought the bag in December 2017 (date code is: 0817). I was using it as an EDC until the pandemic and have rarely used it since March 2020.

The leather straps on my bag are wearing unevenly and the backside leather strap is very wrinkly. However, on the front side strap (away from my body when I carry on my shoulder); the leather looks great. I did not apply HDLP or other leather conditioner prior to using, but I have applied it maybe 1 or 2 months after first use once I noticed the wrinkling. I've been applying condition at least yearly since.

• Should I have applied HDLP to leather (to both sides: skin and under) prior to using?
  • Or is this common with newer bags (2015+)?
  • Or could the wrinkling/waffle wear have been caused because that strap rubs against my body when bag is slung on my shoulder?
There will be people that respond that are MUCH BETTER leather experts than me, but I believe that is, at least partly, due to the natural variation of leathers. Many on here will say that Filson has gotten away from using the best quality leather bits on their bags over the past several years. That may also be true.

I have several Filson bags and the leather on many of mine look worse than yours does (I have a 256, 257, 48 hour, Sportsman, Large Carry-On (242) and a small Pullman). Some look better. I should take a side-by-side-by-side pic of all the leather handles and you'll see varying levels of perfection. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

That said, NONE have failed and I don't expect any to ever fail. Yours look pretty good, to my eye.

heq206

Reaction score
There will be people that respond that are MUCH BETTER leather experts than me, but I believe that is, at least partly, due to the natural variation of leathers. Many on here will say that Filson has gotten away from using the best quality leather bits on their bags over the past several years. That may also be true.

I have several Filson bags and the leather on many of mine look worse than yours does (I have a 256, 257, 48 hour, Sportsman, Large Carry-On (242) and a small Pullman). Some look better. I should take a side-by-side-by-side pic of all the leather handles and you'll see varying levels of perfection. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

That said, NONE have failed and I don't expect any to ever fail. Yours look pretty good, to my eye.

Appreciate your insight! Yeah, they're not brittle and I'm not worried about them failing. Just wondering if there was something I could have done to have them wear/age evenly.

My collection has grown quite a bit over the years since the 256. Earlier this summer, I picked up a well used 257 from 2009 and the leather straps were soft, but didn't have the waffle/elephant skin texture. It did have a small crack in the leather that developed on the surface. I ended up selling it partly because of that and because it overlapped with my other bags and wouldn't get used.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your insight! Yeah, they're not brittle and I'm not worried about them failing. Just wondering if there was something I could have done to have them wear/age evenly.

My collection has grown quite a bit over the years since the 256. Earlier this summer, I picked up a well used 257 from 2009 and the leather straps were soft, but didn't have the waffle/elephant skin texture. It did have a small crack in the leather that developed on the surface. I ended up selling it partly because of that and because it overlapped with my other bags and wouldn't get used.
I have the 256 and the 257 and find myself carrying the 257 more. I removed the inner divider on the 257 which has basically made it act more like a wider 256 (that divider was unecessary in my mind and just added weight). Plus, I only go to the office occasionally and I tend to carry more stuff these days when I go. I've sometimes thought of selling one of them but I don't see that happening.

tripreed

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues taking a zipper tote as a "personal item" on a flight recently? My wife was concerned that they might deem it too large, though it doesn't really seem bigger than my Filson laptop bag that I've taken on multiple flights. Any insight appreciated.

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues taking a zipper tote as a "personal item" on a flight recently? My wife was concerned that they might deem it too large, though it doesn't really seem bigger than my Filson laptop bag that I've taken on multiple flights. Any insight appreciated.

Recently travelled on Delta, had a 257 and zippered tote, carried them on no problem.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% ZERO issues with that bag. That will fit super easily.

Close Horse

Reaction score
Any main line airline will have no problem. I've put my zippered tote underseat on Delta, SW, United in the last year. Just ensure the zippered side is pointed away from the aisle or the beverage cart will fight with your straps. YMMV on Spirit, Frontier, or other discount carriers.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I know this topic has been addressed before, but thought I'd ask instead of trying to read through hundreds of pages trying to find a general answer/consensus on whether or not leather wrinkling on only one side of my 256 bag is normal?

I bought the bag in December 2017 (date code is: 0817). I was using it as an EDC until the pandemic and have rarely used it since March 2020.

The leather straps on my bag are wearing unevenly and the backside leather strap is very wrinkly. However, on the front side strap (away from my body when I carry on my shoulder); the leather looks great. I did not apply HDLP or other leather conditioner prior to using, but I have applied it maybe 1 or 2 months after first use once I noticed the wrinkling. I've been applying condition at least yearly since.

• Should I have applied HDLP to leather (to both sides: skin and under) prior to using?
  • Or could the wrinkling/waffle wear have been caused because that strap rubs against my body when bag is slung on my shoulder?

I can tell you that this topic has definitely been discussed more then a few time here, so I won’t go into great detail. I’ll only say that it’s been found that some of Filson’s bridle leather around the year 2017 suffered from QC issues. Not saying every bag was affected but there was more then a few on here to serve as examples. Who knows why this year there were so many issues.

If you have a 2017 build date Filson throw them away....I KID I KID...but seriously, just enjoy them for what they’re worth. Will they fail on you? Probably not. Modern day bridle from Filson doesn’t suffer from this oversight. Will the leather patina like the Talon Era or even the YKK Era? Definitely not. But improvements were made, so hats off to them.

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree completely. Different hides, different wear patterns. No risk of failure. For some part of the charm and patina, for others an irritant.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here interested in a brand new, never used tan rucksack? Ordered for the gf but it turns out she doesn’t like the look and it’s comically large on her. Happy to provide all the pics you want. Shoot me an offer.
Where are you based?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi @heq206 ,
The clicking of that strap could come from the belly part of the cow or other flimsy area of the of the hide . Do not worry about it!.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fully packed my 48h duffle today for the first time. Gosh, this bag it' s beautiful but it weights a ton!

heq206

Reaction score
I can tell you that this topic has definitely been discussed more then a few time here, so I won’t go into great detail. I’ll only say that it’s been found that some of Filson’s bridle leather around the year 2017 suffered from QC issues. Not saying every bag was affected but there was more then a few on here to serve as examples. Who knows why this year there were so many issues.

If you have a 2017 build date Filson throw them away....I KID I KID...but seriously, just enjoy them for what they’re worth. Will they fail on you? Probably not. Modern day bridle from Filson doesn’t suffer from this oversight. Will the leather patina like the Talon Era or even the YKK Era? Definitely not. But improvements were made, so hats off to them.

So Filson made improvements after 2017? My new 48-hour bag I just bought directly from Filson has a date code of 2019. I've only used it twice but handle straps don't show any signs of wrinkling.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality of the cow hides in 2017 was terrible. The cows suffered much stress from the " vacas locas syndrome".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads