• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

qfise

Reaction score
Adding to what @singjai has written, a great way to visually tell whether it’s a 1st or 2nd Edition is the straps, do they have brass rivets or is the leather sewn into the cloth material. While the 2nd Edition did utilize sewing, that Edition is still far superior to the newest generation.

Rivets

View attachment 1671386

Vs sewn in straps

View attachment 1671387

Another identifier is the backstrap. The 1st and 2nd editions utilized bridle leather, while the newest generation uses flimsy and less sturdy cloth.

First Edition Brooks Brother collaboration with leather backstrap

View attachment 1671390

The fabric backstrap has a weak spot that can cause separation from heavy loads. For full shot of the backstrap refer to the 2nd photo

View attachment 1671389

Finally the interior layout comes to mind. The newest generation has one less pocket in the main compartment, which you can use to fit a phone or a similar small device. The 1st & 2nd Editions had this pocket. My advice is if you’re going to buy a journeyman strive for a 1st but since those are incredibly rare (rivets), an early 2nd Edition is a great alternative.

As you can see there is no pocket, like the very first picture, which is a true 1st edition. The best identifier is the “Motto Tag” sewn into it.

View attachment 1671388

Thank you so much for explaining me in such a great detail! After seeing the differences now I definitely want the 1st gen Journeyman!Is it hard to get the hands on Journeyman x Brook Brothers edition? I would buy it immediately :) it wouldbe a perfect edition to my 256 briefcase and small duffle from 2006.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for explaining me in such a great detail! After seeing the differences now I definitely want the 1st gen Journeyman!Is it hard to get the hands on Journeyman x Brook Brothers edition? I would buy it immediately :) it wouldbe a perfect edition to my 256 briefcase and small duffle from 2006.

You’re quite welcome! We had a member here @Soletrane (wherever he is hope he’s alright), that had a true 2nd Edition Journeyman in Navy. His posts definitely motivated and inspired many of the past and current owners on this forum. So I wouldn’t rule one out if a good one comes along. They’re still pretty rare but not as much as an early or late 1st Edition. Patience is the ultimate trait if you want to find one of those...and persistence :fonz: . We have at least 4 members here who were lucky enough to locate a 1st, but also a well preserved 1st Edition

I’ll keep an eye out for one in my daily searches. The Brooks Brothers Collaboration is probably just as hard if not harder to find then the regular “riveted” Journeyman. However that’s not to say I haven’t seen one or two in my travels.

sindrearg

Reaction score
Since we're talking about the Journeyman.
This is my most recent mailcall, recieved this a couple of days ago.
Made back in june 2015.
A never used 2nd edition navy twill,
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

singjai

Reaction score

The brooks brothers versions will probably be the hardest to come by. I think most people here with a gen 1 or gen 2 journeyman have navy ones. I know three other members here with green but none with tan (brooks brothers only maybe?). I love the navy since all my other bags are tan or green and the navy accompanies each one well.

1C0E5033-BAA9-428F-A83E-BC4BB4D9D015.jpeg

9AB1A802-2DDF-47FE-B4C4-FF7FB208DF36.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re quite welcome! We had a member here @Soletrane (wherever he is hope he’s alright), that had a true 2nd Edition Journeyman in Navy. His posts definitely motivated and inspired many of the past and current owners on this forum. So I wouldn’t rule one out if a good one comes along. They’re still pretty rare but not as much as an early or late 1st Edition. Patience is the ultimate trait if you want to find one of those...and persistence :fonz: . We have at least 4 members here who were lucky enough to locate a 1st, but also a well preserved 1st Edition

I’ll keep an eye out for one in my daily searches. The Brooks Brothers Collaboration is probably just as hard if not harder to find then the regular “riveted” Journeyman. However that’s not to say I haven’t seen one or two in my travels.

Hi OMG,
Thanks for the shout out. I have had a lot of events unfold over the pandemic including brief job loss coupled with no travel meant I wasn’t posting or buying. Everything is good now. And in fact, I am using the navy Journeyman frequently as I do a lot of shorter domestic business trips as opposed to longer international ones when I used to post more 5-6 years ago.

My favorite work bag is a 2nd Gen Filson Leather Satchel but the Journeyman sees
much more use now that I don’t go into an office everyday but travel for a few days overnight frequently. The Journeyman always seems to be able to carry that little bit extra like when we were gifted corporate hoodies at one work meeting. The packing of NR headphones plus a light sweater for plane or train alone almost guarantees I have to go with a backpack over a briefcase.

I added Defy chest straps with this awesome military grade metal Austrian cobra buckle so now the Journeyman straps stay high on the shoulders even with a stuffed bag and when I am walking around for hours. The top leather loop is staying put and not separating.

I mostly pair it with my oldest Filson bag, the 242 for 2-4 night trips.
ACE3EDBE-4B1F-40A0-8B2B-07AA3368BB68.jpeg
2BA7758E-6E91-4C00-8937-269DF3878BB1.jpeg

I have never seen another backpack that even tempted me in the slightest once I got the Journeyman. Except perhaps a second Journeyman in otter green.

Some crappy hotel room photos of the Journeyman attached.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi OMG,
Thanks for the shout out. I have had a lot of events unfold over the pandemic including brief job loss coupled with no travel meant I wasn’t posting or buying. Everything is good now. And in fact, I am using the navy Journeyman frequently as I do a lot of shorter domestic business trips as opposed to longer international ones when I used to post more 5-6 years ago.

My favorite work bag is a 2nd Gen Filson Leather Satchel but the Journeyman sees
much more use now that I don’t go into an office everyday but travel for a few days overnight frequently. The Journeyman always seems to be able to carry that little bit extra like when we were gifted corporate hoodies at one work meeting. The packing of NR headphones plus a light sweater for plane or train alone almost guarantees I have to go with a backpack over a briefcase.

I added Defy chest straps with this awesome military grade metal Austrian cobra buckle so now the Journeyman straps stay high on the shoulders even with a stuffed bag and when I am walking around for hours. The top leather loop is staying put and not separating.

I mostly pair it with my oldest Filson bag, the 242 for 2-4 night trips. View attachment 1671808 View attachment 1671809

I have never seen another backpack that even tempted me in the slightest once I got the Journeyman. Except perhaps a second Journeyman in otter green.

Welcome home Soletrane! Wasn’t the same without you brother! Glad to hear that you’re alright! Your Journeyman still looks great. Excited to catch up and hear about your Filson adventures and updates. I myself have some of those. Sold my #246, selling my Talon Tote, sold my Journeyman to another member here. Still have my 257 & 264 though, and have zero plans on selling either.

My No.257 is just too much of a Filson icon to let go

4DD8AC0C-1F8A-42D8-B420-C121048DE7AC.jpeg

And the No.264 makes a sweet support bag for my GORUCK GR2 34L. Issued both for my recent weeklong vacation to Iowa & Indiana.

BFD4DF37-60D4-49D0-A5D6-241769EE9CDA.jpeg

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi OMG,

I mostly pair it with my oldest Filson bag, the 242 for 2-4 night trips. View attachment 1671808 View attachment 1671809

Great to hear from you @Soletrane and good to hear that you are back in the saddle enjoying your Filsons again. Your journeyman is looking great. I may have to look into the strap you’re referring to at some point since I picked up a leather journeyman a little while back. I wouldn’t mind a leather satchel pic or two at some point when it’s convenient! The satchel has always interested me but never felt as practical as a 256. I actually have one that I may take out some time and just carry for a bit!

sindrearg

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to source two discontinued items from the Filson x Magnum collection.
1. Small Field Camera Bag
2. Photographers Backpack
Both preferably in otter green and in a pristine/like new condition.
I know that K&M in NYC recently sold out their old stock with brand new "Photography Backpacks", but I was a couple of hours to late.
Does have one of them laying around collecting dust or know about someone who might have one of them?
leather-camera-strap-review-03974.jpg

Kindest regards,

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to source two discontinued items from the Filson x Magnum collection.
1. Small Field Camera Bag
2. Photographers Backpack
Both preferably in otter green and in a pristine/like new condition.
I know that K&M in NYC recently sold out their old stock with brand new "Photography Backpacks", but I was a couple of hours to late.
Does have one of them laying around collecting dust or know about someone who might have one of them?
View attachment 1671926
Kindest regards,
Those are sweet bags. I've recently downsized my photo gear - no longer carry the heavy Nikon SLR and long lenses. Just carry the Leica Q2 now (which might be the best, and most fun, camera I've ever used - but I digress).

I modified my medium field bag a little bit. Added some different hardware to make it more easily accessible and bought a brightly colored padded insert to keep my gear inside safe. Give some thought to the medium field bag if you're unable to source the field camera bag you posted above.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi OMG,

Good to see you back, Soletrane. Sorry for the rough patch you went through but sounds like you're back on your feet. I also changed jobs (wasn't laid off, just presented with an opportunity and took it). Only downside is that I went from traveling nearly EVERY week to only personal travel. Have some Filson bags gathering dust!

AkCoco

Reaction score
Hello!
Have been looking for a leather/suede carry-on for when travelling opens up. Been eyeing the weatherproof carry-on shown here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114845889271?epid=0&hash=item1abd5932f7:g:YssAAOSwWhtgwm6-

Any experiences here on that bag? Functional? Resilient? Worth the price?

Have also been looking at their rugged suede duffel as an alternative to a Frank Clegg duffel. Anyone here experienced both and have som preference?

I live en europe so I mostly scan the second hand market for Filson. Not a big market here..

qfise

Reaction score
Is Filsons original leather conditioner a good alternative to obenaufs hdlp? Since I’m in Europe it’s a bit more difficult to get my hands on obenaufs.

qfise

Reaction score
The brooks brothers versions will probably be the hardest to come by. I think most people here with a gen 1 or gen 2 journeyman have navy ones. I know three other members here with green but none with tan (brooks brothers only maybe?). I love the navy since all my other bags are tan or green and the navy accompanies each one well.

View attachment 1671747

View attachment 1671748

Navy is really beautiful, sometimes I wish my collection was in navy instead of OG. But I started noticing how my OGs are getting patina which makes me like them even more! That’s why I would like to find journeyman in OG :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads