• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I caved and bought the Oil Finish Rucksack, and am happy with it! No problems with the finish quality at all. Tag says made in Vietnam. All stitching is tight and straight, and seams are tidy and even. I loaded it with gym and work gear to come into campus this morning so snapped some quick pics to share here for anyone interested.

The inside has a full-length padded laptop pocket, plus a space behind it that is useful for a light jacket, magazines, paperwork etc. The rest of the main compartment is a cave with no pockets nor other organisation. There is a drawstring neck closure to the main compartment that can stay folded down and out of the way, but in that position it covers the laptop sleeve (no problem if you don't use it).

The side bottle pockets are flat, so consume inner space if you insert a bottle; if the pack were full it'd be a PITA to get a bottle back in after removing it if stuff shifts a little. The front pockets have no internal organisation. The G-hooks to close the flap work well but you must ensure they're completely seated all the way in or will slide open.

In these shots it is empty and the sides trapeze out. I might customise mine with snaps on each side near the top to cinch it in a bit when not full. It really is a giant rectangle.

View attachment 1669753 View attachment 1669754 View attachment 1669755 View attachment 1669756 View attachment 1669757 View attachment 1669758
Those boots look like the ones from the book “Wild”, which is a fantastic read by the way!

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Beautiful addition man! Love the contrast with the otter green and the red action tag. By the way I recall you searching for a 24HR Briefcase. I’ve been on the lookout for one but the market is just not on our side right now, as they are quite overpriced on the secondary market. I personally would not pay over $250 for one, but exceptions can be made. If you found a first edition (around 2014) I would snag it. I found a 2014 navy version that is pristine, and for such a low price too. The seller is on point!!

Ok, so your "patinas like a fine pair of raw denim" bloody ate away at me and, I confess, I wavered... messaged the chap to see if he'd ship to Australia... and he won't, so I'm safe, haha! :laugh:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so your "patinas like a fine pair of raw denim" bloody ate away at me and, I confess, I wavered... messaged the chap to see if he'd ship to Australia... and he won't, so I'm safe, haha! :laugh:

Australia? I had no idea, but very cool! How’s the Filson community in the Land Down Unda? I’m surprised he wouldn’t ship to you, eBay takes care of all of that with their Global Shipping Program. All you have to do is ship to Kentucky and they take care of all the rest. His loss, but maybe a good thing because now you can hold off until your dream Otter Green comes along.

qfise

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying Journeyman backpack as I like how it looks but I remember ages ago reading how there was some difference between the older and newer version. Could someone please tell me what is the difference?

singjai

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying Journeyman backpack as I like how it looks but I remember ages ago reading how there was some difference between the older and newer version. Could someone please tell me what is the difference?
The older ones were made of mainly rugged twill with a bit of tin cloth. Now it's the opposite.

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Australia? I had no idea, but very cool! How’s the Filson community in the Land Down Unda? I’m surprised he wouldn’t ship to you, eBay takes care of all of that with their Global Shipping Program. All you have to do is ship to Kentucky and they take care of all the rest. His loss, but maybe a good thing because now you can hold off until your dream Otter Green comes along.

I think there are some here, but surely nothing like in the States. I'm in regional Queensland and have never seen another in the wild, though since getting into Filson I'll sure be keeping my eyes open next time I'm in one of the State capitals!

And... I think I'm broken now. I think I want a Navy 24hr, not OG. I have the rucksack in green and the navy is a colour that's more casual than my black 257 but tidier than the green. :oops:

Is there much difference between those early models named 72hr and the later 24hr models? They both have the same model number so I'm assuming it is just the name that changed.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are some here, but surely nothing like in the States. I'm in regional Queensland and have never seen another in the wild, though since getting into Filson I'll sure be keeping my eyes open next time I'm in one of the State capitals!

And... I think I'm broken now. I think I want a Navy 24hr, not OG. I have the rucksack in green and the navy is a colour that's more casual than my black 257 but tidier than the green. :oops:

Is there much difference between those early models named 72hr and the later 24hr models? They both have the same model number so I'm assuming it is just the name that changed.

Filson spotting is one thing I miss while working in NYC. All the more reason for yourself to stand out from the bunch I say.

Haha that wasn’t my intention when I was suggesting Navy, especially with a name like mine. However I have owned a beautiful Navy first edition Journeyman. I really do think you’ll love the color, plus Navy and Otter Green are a good color combination.

As for the 24HR versus 72HR, they are indeed the same they just changed it because it’s basically false advertising. I guess whoever suggested you can get 72 hours out of that briefcase must’ve been a minimalist to the extreme. Although seeing tags with the number 72 on it is a great identifier of a true first edition, so in a way it helps having that oversight.

Rubicon101

Reaction score
Filson spotting is one thing I miss while working in NYC. All the more reason for yourself to stand out from the bunch I say.

Haha that wasn’t my intention when I was suggesting Navy, especially with a name like mine. However I have owned a beautiful Navy first edition Journeyman. I really do think you’ll love the color, plus Navy and Otter Green are a good color combination.

As for the 24HR versus 72HR, they are indeed the same they just changed it because it’s basically false advertising. I guess whoever suggested you can get 72 hours out of that briefcase must’ve been a minimalist to the extreme. Although seeing tags with the number 72 on it is a great identifier of a true first edition, so in a way it helps having that oversight.
I have a og 72hr but it came with the built in phone charger which I found by accident and I really enjoy.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Adding to what @singjai has written, a great way to visually tell whether it’s a 1st or 2nd Edition is the straps, do they have brass rivets or is the leather sewn into the cloth material. While the 2nd Edition did utilize sewing, that Edition is still far superior to the newest generation.

Rivets

6CD4D8DB-BD99-4285-B56C-8366628FE8BF.jpeg

Vs sewn in straps

E1D61435-6FBD-4B8A-8171-132A091A9E53.jpeg

Another identifier is the backstrap. The 1st and 2nd editions utilized bridle leather, while the newest generation uses flimsy and less sturdy cloth.

First Edition Brooks Brother collaboration with leather backstrap

FD86D2AC-DA62-4D0E-B453-83081E56EB4C.jpeg

The fabric backstrap has a weak spot that can cause separation from heavy loads. For full shot of the backstrap refer to the 2nd photo

C5C37F3F-7ED8-4C0E-89A4-444129E7310F.jpeg

Finally the interior layout comes to mind. The newest generation has one less pocket in the main compartment, which you can use to fit a phone or a similar small device. The 1st & 2nd Editions had this pocket. My advice is if you’re going to buy a journeyman strive for a 1st but since those are incredibly rare (rivets), an early 2nd Edition is a great alternative.

As you can see there is no pocket, like the very first picture, which is a true 1st edition. The best identifier is the “Motto Tag” sewn into it.

F66D4F27-8497-4B1D-8F4E-549BC9D7DF27.jpeg

Last edited:

So-33

Reaction score
Epic one day only sale at Filson warehouse today in Seattle area. There was alot of enterprising people buying tens of thousand of dollars worth of the prime stuff.
They were the serious ones that got there early.
I arrived hour early and was 150 people back in line at 10:00 they let 75 in and gave them 1/2 hour to shop without policing the time limit, thousand or so were waiting by time I left.
Pricing ticket below shows costs.
Gold level was leather bags.
Four shown here, large and small Dawson luggage bags (Thick and soft leather premium stuff), Weather Proof Rolling Carry-on, Suede Duffle.
I, as most all could only buy as much as they could carry. You couldn’t put it down to look for more stuff. You had to guard your pile. There was no time to try it on, or think about it, just grab and move on.
It was a fun and nerve wracking at the same time.
Picture shows $1500.00 with 10% state sales tax. Retail tags price out just under $7,000.00.

Attachments

• D40A161C-86C4-4B70-97D9-2FDD0D06FC02.jpeg
    D40A161C-86C4-4B70-97D9-2FDD0D06FC02.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 6338B46E-EF30-4983-8ABB-D9EE7961808E.jpeg
    6338B46E-EF30-4983-8ABB-D9EE7961808E.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 119

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Epic one day only sale at Filson warehouse today in Seattle area. There was alot of enterprising people buying tens of thousand of dollars worth of the prime stuff.
They were the serious ones that got there early.
I arrived hour early and was 150 people back in line at 10:00 they let 75 in and gave them 1/2 hour to shop without policing the time limit, thousand or so were waiting by time I left.
Pricing ticket below shows costs.
Gold level was leather bags.
Four shown here, large and small Dawson luggage bags (Thick and soft leather premium stuff), Weather Proof Rolling Carry-on, Suede Duffle.
I, as most all could only buy as much as they could carry. You couldn’t put it down to look for more stuff. You had to guard your pile. There was no time to try it on, or think about it, just grab and move on.
It was a fun and nerve wracking at the same time.
Picture shows $1500.00 with 10% state sales tax. Retail tags price out just under $7,000.00.

Oh. My. Gosh. I would die. Was it all excess NOS kinda stuff? With those prices it'd be difficult to pass up anything regardless of actual 'need'!! ??

Oh and you could have used the bags and luggage to store smaller items to build a stash prior to checkout (though security might've looked at you funny... ?)!

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score

Thanks for the info! Yes, I figured a realist was behind the name change; the main reason I went for the 257 over the 24hr in the first place was volume and my need to lump textbooks around. What I'd really love is a 36hr, the same as 24hr from the front but with greater depth to the main compartment. I should give somebody in Seattle a call with advice... ?

Last edited:

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
The Filson warehouse sale was quite the madhouse. Here is some of my haul ? All bags except the Dawson bags were just $80 ?

Attachments

• 95755907-8C77-4AC8-BD6C-D17712A7891F.jpeg
    95755907-8C77-4AC8-BD6C-D17712A7891F.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 101
  • A1D57D3E-99E7-43B6-BA78-591BFBEAD778.jpeg
    A1D57D3E-99E7-43B6-BA78-591BFBEAD778.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 1F0016E6-85DE-4F4C-AE89-4E46355799F3.jpeg
    1F0016E6-85DE-4F4C-AE89-4E46355799F3.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 66CA1310-2A53-4096-9EF8-1F6B96558A60.jpeg
    66CA1310-2A53-4096-9EF8-1F6B96558A60.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 99

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads