• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WJR

Reaction score
Seattle Outlet Permanently Closed (Marysville, WA)?

Hey folks, this may have already been addressed but I didn't see it in the past few pages. I live in the Seattle metro area and was going to go to the Seattle Outlets in Marysville. But, when I checked the Filson Outlet hours, yelp is saying the store is closed and it no longer shows on the store directory for the outlet mall.

Does anyone know when and why this happened? I remember when the outlet store used to be farther north up in Burlington, WA. Filson's website still shows an outlet store in Minnesota.

I am not sure exactly when it closed, but yes this is a recent event. I called the Seattle outlet a month or so ago looking for a particular bag and was told that it was their last week to be open. The Eagan, MN outlet is the last one open and items were sent to Eagan from Seattle based on what the associate told me. I can tell you that I have ordered from Eagan several times and they have always done an excellent job.

PS - nice TRD Pro 4Runner

Uniquest

Reaction score
Keep the tweed one! That was a very limited run and an unusual one in that Filson didn't just produce a bag in a new color - it went out and worked with another company's signature material to create something different.

The Harris Tweed, Sebago and Le Chameau bags, in my opinion, are tops when it comes to a wow factor and Filson. I have yet to see a tweed briefcase in the wild.
O
Honestly it’s a great edc pack. I still think that I will be going back to the briefcase since I just like how it carries a bit better, but the convenience of the backpack is really great. The big front pocket is never full and is extremely convenient similar to the front flap on the original briefcase.

Do you have the leather briefcase as well?

When you say ‘carries better’, do you mean as far as comfort is concerned or accessibility or ?

I’m trying to decide between the leather Journeyman and the leather 256. Would be nice to have both!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really good to be able to take a trip here in the UK now restrictions are easing.

The rolling duffle is such a beast. Lots of space and the wheels just make it so much nicer than the deadweight of regular duffles. Medium field bag remains a go-to.

96EC0B1C-F9F5-480C-A286-12734800877B.jpeg

And my first Filson purchases for a while. The Ranger was on deep discount (approx $110) - unheard of here in the UK so had to grab one. It’s the second edition so no leather buckles, but I do like the quick release brass clips.
And finally a Filson tshirt (made in USA). Seems like I should have got one of these years ago.

F897D6E5-5EC2-4D67-9BDA-908DE75055DB.jpeg

hope everyone doing well!

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really good to be able to take a trip here in the UK now restrictions are easing.

The rolling duffle is such a beast. Lots of space and the wheels just make it so much nicer than the deadweight of regular duffles. Medium field bag remains a go-to.

View attachment 1648348

And my first Filson purchases for a while. The Ranger was on deep discount (approx $110) - unheard of here in the UK so had to grab one. It’s the second edition so no leather buckles, but I do like the quick release brass clips.
And finally a Filson tshirt (made in USA). Seems like I should have got one of these years ago.

View attachment 1648349

hope everyone doing well!
Hey stranger. That Ranger is a nice one. I'm waiting for them to stock their new backpack (looks to be the replacement for the Ranger). I think those buckles are an improvement as they allow quicker access to the contents. Do you miss any kind of organization inside?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey stranger. That Ranger is a nice one. I'm waiting for them to stock their new backpack (looks to be the replacement for the Ranger). I think those buckles are an improvement as they allow quicker access to the contents. Do you miss any kind of organization inside?
Hey! Yes, been a bit quiet here hasn’t it? Partly lack of @OtterMeanGreen!

Saw the “new ranger” with the outer pocket. Looks like it’s wax cotton not rugged twill though? I’m fine with lack of organization on the original. I’ve got the 262 rucksac as well if I need pockets. I like this ranger for the larger size and simplicity. It’ll probably be my default for the motorcycle and throwing in the back of the Land Rover. Here’s a couple of shots out for an early breakfast recently.

71E94722-3D76-4528-833B-C1B07C9560DF.jpeg
D0E52DFF-5387-4A7B-81EA-A7DECA378BA9.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
Also took a short trip to Vegas this week. Brought my MOB and Journeyman. Wanted to take the Vans rucksack but I really do prefer the journeyman.. The Levi’s jacket was sitting in the trunk the whole time as temps never dropped below 95 f..

D3130DB2-17BF-4BD8-BF1F-7A26457D69E4.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
Hey! Yes, been a bit quiet here hasn’t it? Partly lack of @OtterMeanGreen!

Saw the “new ranger” with the outer pocket. Looks like it’s wax cotton not rugged twill though? I’m fine with lack of organization on the original. I’ve got the 262 rucksac as well if I need pockets. I like this ranger for the larger size and simplicity. It’ll probably be my default for the motorcycle and throwing in the back of the Land Rover. Here’s a couple of shots out for an early breakfast recently.

View attachment 1648381 View attachment 1648382
Where did @OtterMeanGreen run off to this time? Really hope he’s doing alright. Pretty soon I might have to change my name similar to his given this latest addition he might like. I was a big fan of tan but lately found myself having equal numbers of these two colors.

2AFEA98D-D2C1-47CB-B24A-D0007E77979E.jpeg

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
That Journeyman looks fantastic in navy. Took me a moment to tell it wasn't black!

Speaking of black, does anyone have pictures of a patinated black twill briefcase or duffel? I want a 257 in black and am keen to see how they age, but whilst shots of worn-in and old Filson gear in OG and Tan are everywhere, a patinated black twill item is pretty rare!

(I get that patina of the fabric will be less obvious, but it will still be there... all the pics of black briefcases I've seen still have stiff leather and clean canvas.)

Thanks a tonne, anyone who might share their well-used black Filson! :inlove:

Uniquest

Reaction score
Small Field Bag - Question for men.

I’m looking for a ‘take everywhere’ bag to carry the items I usually cram in my pockets.

Currently using a Arcteryx Mantis 2 fanny pack/sling bag worn over the shoulder or carried by hand. It holds my wallet, phone, AirPods, insulin/meter, glucose tabs, keys, small pouch with misc items.

My backpack and bags are Filson, I don’t care for their waist/fanny packs but the small field bag is tempting. A little larger in size than the Mantis but I could use the extra space for a battery charger etc.

To those who own the bag for carrying pocket items on a daily basis how do you like carrying it? Is it comfortable to wear, items easy to access?

I’m hoping it doesn’t look too purse like due to the smaller size, not a huge deal, I know it will get more manly looking with age.

Still deciding on color, actually like the leather, but otter green maybe more masculine. Hard to tell until I see it in real life I guess.

Much appreciated if you could post photos of your small field bag.

Thanks!

Stratkat

Reaction score
Small Field Bag - Question for men.

I’m looking for a ‘take everywhere’ bag to carry the items I usually cram in my pockets.

Currently using a Arcteryx Mantis 2 fanny pack/sling bag worn over the shoulder or carried by hand. It holds my wallet, phone, AirPods, insulin/meter, glucose tabs, keys, small pouch with misc items.

My backpack and bags are Filson, I don’t care for their waist/fanny packs but the small field bag is tempting. A little larger in size than the Mantis but I could use the extra space for a battery charger etc.

To those who own the bag for carrying pocket items on a daily basis how do you like carrying it? Is it comfortable to wear, items easy to access?

I’m hoping it doesn’t look too purse like due to the smaller size, not a huge deal, I know it will get more manly looking with age.

Still deciding on color, actually like the leather, but otter green maybe more masculine. Hard to tell until I see it in real life I guess.

Much appreciated if you could post photos of your small field bag.

Thanks!
Honestly, I never used mine much, my wife inherited it. I find the med to be a perfect size.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I never used mine much, my wife inherited it. I find the med to be a perfect size.
How did you guys carry your medium field bag. Cross body? Leather strap or one of the nylon ones?

Uniquest

Reaction score

i find once something the size of a medium field bag gets filled up it gets weighty in which case I prefer a backpack.

Stratkat

Reaction score
i find once something the size of a medium field bag gets filled up it gets weighty in which case I prefer a backpack.
I don’t necessarily carry it full, in fact half full typically, I like the option of being able to stuff my flannel into it if it gets too warm to wear. Prefer the 2 pockets on the front, and the back pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads