• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1626715123947.png
This bag has been 'coming soon' for several weeks now. Anyone have any thoughts on it? I'm going to buy it as soon as it's available, but they are testing my patience!
1626715123947.png

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
This bag has been 'coming soon' for several weeks now. Anyone have any thoughts on it? I'm going to buy it as soon as it's available, but they are testing my patience!

I'm curious to get your take on it. It seems functionally pretty similar to the ranger backpack. I like the volume of space in the ranger, and the straps are pretty comfortable.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to get your take on it. It seems functionally pretty similar to the ranger backpack. I like the volume of space in the ranger, and the straps are pretty comfortable.
It does look functionally the same and I've considered the Ranger (you can find it on clearance in some places for $99 or so). I think this one might be a good size for weekends or overnights (or just general 'change of clothes' scenarios). I had the Journeyman (and it's wonderful) but I decided I'm not a 'backpack-kind-of-guy' and prefer my 257 or 256 for my daily carry. I would view this backpack as a vacation bag (either as the primary or secondary bag). Will let you know once I am able to order it and get it.

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
In an effort to quell my significant other’s concerns about the number of Filson bags I have been acquiring as of late, I’m thinking of selling a few of my 257s, and thought I’d put it up here first to see if anyone is interested in one. I’ve got a 257 in navy, brown, and black (all with Filson branded zippers) that are available. If anyone is interested shoot me a DM :cool:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In an effort to quell my significant other’s concerns about the number of Filson bags I have been acquiring as of late, I’m thinking of selling a few of my 257s, and thought I’d put it up here first to see if anyone is interested in one. I’ve got a 257 in navy, brown, and black (all with Filson branded zippers) that are available. If anyone is interested shoot me a DM :cool:
I have a 257, so no thank you.

However, I will repeat what you said:
"In order to quell my significant other's concerns with the number of Filson bags I now own, I'm thinking of selling one of my two favorites. I have a small pullman with great leather and a 242 Carry-On bag with some of the prettiest, vintage, bad-ass looking beautiful leather you've ever seen on a Filson bag. Immaculate shape, both.

Only selling one since it's a serious case of overlap. They're both nearly equal in size and I really don't need both.

If there is interest, I can post pics.

ap10046

Reaction score
Another shameless plug! But here's a deal
Will throw in a brand new Defy Insidious Cobra Buckle sling with the leather handle ($220) for free on purchase of the Nanamica 257

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
That Nanamica 257 is incredible. What year did it come out? I have serious regret that so many fantastic collaborations are now long gone before I even began seriously considering a Filson... :-(

heq206

Reaction score
Seattle Outlet Permanently Closed (Marysville, WA)?

Hey folks, this may have already been addressed but I didn't see it in the past few pages. I live in the Seattle metro area and was going to go to the Seattle Outlets in Marysville. But, when I checked the Filson Outlet hours, yelp is saying the store is closed and it no longer shows on the store directory for the outlet mall.

Does anyone know when and why this happened? I remember when the outlet store used to be farther north up in Burlington, WA. Filson's website still shows an outlet store in Minnesota.

Uniquest

Reaction score
I concur with Tinman’s observations. If nylon is acceptable to you, the Dryden is nice. I recently got one on sale and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I can look more closely at it if you tell me what you are trying to accomplish. EDC is different for each of us.

The traditional Rucksak shown above in Tinman’s picture is always classic. How big are you? I’m a big guy (6’ and 220#) and the Rucksack shown above is kind of small on me. Still, it‘s so classic looking, I won’t let myself part with it. The Tin Cloth Backpack is tiny on me. It’s still a great looking piece though. I have one of those I’m going to have to let go. I need to see if my daughter might want to rock it before I do so. Looking at the current backpack selection, I can sort of see your conundrum, especially if you’ve already eliminated the Journeyman. The Journeyman is one of the only bags I haven’t owned. Well, in rugged twill. I have one in leather and I realize it is smaller than the twill version.

I understand wanting something larger. But, don’t discount the beauty of having your hands free. I commute on a train and then walk several blocks to work (normally). I don’t carry briefcases. I’m much better off with a backpack. It keeps my hands free and allows me to carry a tote or other packages. I can see wanting to go larger. For me, larger is preferred generally so long as it has a laptop sleeve and at least two pockets, preferably one outside and one small one inside. More than that is acceptable too.

Wow, this has been quite the ramble. I’m sorry I’m not more concise this morning. Let us know how we can help.

What’s your thoughts on the leather Journeyman as an EDC bag?

I’m looking for a ‘take everywhere’ bag for a laptop, notebook, battery pack, cords and to carry all the stuff that’s usually crammed and my pockets.

Hoping it will fit my frame well, I’m 5’ 11”, 180 pounds.

Thanks!

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m looking for a ‘take everywhere’ bag for a laptop, notebook, battery pack, cords and to carry all the stuff that’s usually crammed and my pockets.

Thanks!
I’m about your size and I find that the pack is a great edc. I should caveat that Filson has an array of good edc options, but if the leather journeyman is what has got your eye then it is definitely a good option. The only complaint some people might have is that it’s definitely heavier than the tin cloth version, but for me I don’t mind it at all knowing it’s more substantial and will likely outlast the waxes cotton versions and IMO will age better. I posted a couple pics here a while back but I’ll post them again for you to get a feel for size to body ratio. I’m 5’ 11’ 170.

D972FF4C-B956-4D5F-9951-2A13C389EBB0.jpeg

417FAF40-C393-41ED-9E95-5F0E9C8FD990.jpeg

219D2AB1-5B91-4D2D-B3BA-E61B94E9F86B.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score

Thanks!

I was going to ask Tinman to take this one. I’m glad he did. He knows the answer(s) to your questions better than I do because he’s wearing the leather Journeyman daily. It looks great on you, Tinman. It really is a great backpack. It is not large. But, it is likely large enough for the EDC needs of most of us.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask Tinman to take this one. I’m glad he did. He knows the answer(s) to your questions better than I do because he’s wearing the leather Journeyman daily. It looks great on you, Tinman. It really is a great backpack. It is not large. But, it is likely large enough for the EDC needs of most of us.
Honestly it’s a great edc pack. I still think that I will be going back to the briefcase since I just like how it carries a bit better, but the convenience of the backpack is really great. The big front pocket is never full and is extremely convenient similar to the front flap on the original briefcase.

Uniquest

Reaction score
Honestly it’s a great edc pack. I still think that I will be going back to the briefcase since I just like how it carries a bit better, but the convenience of the backpack is really great. The big front pocket is never full and is extremely convenient similar to the front flap on the original briefcase.

Thank you, TinMan & Jedi.

Very helpful! The leather Journeyman ticks a lot of boxes and looks great too. Haven’t seen any better or comparable options to date.

Ideal would be to own both the leather Journeyman and the leather 256 ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads