• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am enjoying reading through all the posts and seeing everyone's collections, its amazing!
I have decided to get my first filson (small field bag), but am stuck between the otter green or the tan...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome. Otter shows less dirt, and the leather contrasts less. Tan in my view is the slightly more traditional colour. Both fade over time to become if not the same but certainly more similar. I and most here have bags in both colours.

The bigger question - why the small field bag, especially as a first purchase? I ha e the small and medium. The medium is only a little larger but much more useful if you are only going to have one or the other. A small field bag takes rain jacket, snacks and a smaller sized water bottle. And that’s it. The medium takes all that, and iPad and still has room for an unintended purchase of a book or small grocery item.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
We’ll put, Speedy. I have both the Small and Medium Field Bags and my uses have been identical to what you describe. I used my leather Small a lot as a PPE bag throughout the pandemic. I didn’t have much room for a water bottle. In fact, that’s one thing that bugs me a bit about that one. It doesn’t have room for a decent sized (larger) water bottle when I put my other typical items in it. Also, the rounded bottoms of each won’t allow a water bottle to stand in a corner of the bag. I use both bags though and haven’t decided on one over the other permanently. I love the aesthetics of both.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I've been waiting...patiently(ish)...to see what you've got there. It sure looks to be a Filson x Nanamica briefcase in beige....but I've never seen such a bag. Aaaaaaaand my curiosity is peaked :nodding:
my apologies friend … almost forgot about this, tied up with work this week.
glad you caught that little bit red in there. Will make the reveal later today

FilsonDude

Reaction score
D6A4EE5F-FDDC-4BB4-8927-39E418CF3D78.jpeg
EF7B9DC0-9CB7-40C5-A7A5-A79C90A0EF5D.jpeg

Stumbled upon this find totally by chance. I’ve seen this colorway before on other Nanamica bags but not as a 256. They call it British Tan.

There’s a red marker slash on the Red Label but I found nothing wrong with the bag. I definitely don’t “need” another 256 but I definitely couldn’t pass this color combo up. The lighter tan twill and natural leather goes together quite well in my opinion.

IVIozartsGhost

Reaction score
They call it British Tan.

That is really cool! I’ve seen that color in the totes, but not a briefcase let alone a Nanamica 256? That is a rad find!

Makes ya wonder if Filson has an archive of all the bags and variations that they’ve made over the last 15-20 years…?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope you're all doing well! It's been a minute since I've posted.

Don't shoot me, but I'm considering the Filson Ripstop Nylon backpack as I'm looking for something I can use for travel, day trips, gym clothes, etc. Does anyone have any experience with one? Any size comparisons? Let me know!

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope you're all doing well! It's been a minute since I've posted.

Don't shoot me, but I'm considering the Filson Ripstop Nylon backpack as I'm looking for something I can use for travel, day trips, gym clothes, etc. Does anyone have any experience with one? Any size comparisons? Let me know!

During my last visit to the store, I checked this one out. I like the look of the exterior pockets and was generally curious. If I remember correctly, I found the main compartment to be kind of narrow and tube-like. It turned me off because it felt like I wouldn’t be able to see/find things properly in it. That’s remarkable because my most recent EDC is a similar rucksack design. So, I was surprised it bothered me. This was only a quick perusal and pass on my part. I wasn’t specifically looking to purchase. Perhaps someone else will chime in with more specific experience.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During my last visit to the store, I checked this one out. I like the look of the exterior pockets and was generally curious. If I remember correctly, I found the main compartment to be kind of narrow and tube-like. It turned me off because it felt like I wouldn’t be able to see/find things properly in it. That’s remarkable because my most recent EDC is a similar rucksack design. So, I was surprised it bothered me. This was only a quick perusal and pass on my part. I wasn’t specifically looking to purchase. Perhaps someone else will chime in with more specific experience.
Thanks A JEDI.

I'm not sure if it will work for me. Bummed I can't find a backpack in the Filson line that works for my particular needs. Had the Journeyman - and love it, but sold it. May buy one again one day but the size of it overlaps my 257 (in terms of ability to carry my stuff) so probably won't go that route.

Really want a larger rucksack kind of bag - may consider the retired Ranger but haven't seen one in person in a long time.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks A JEDI.

I'm not sure if it will work for me. Bummed I can't find a backpack in the Filson line that works for my particular needs. Had the Journeyman - and love it, but sold it. May buy one again one day but the size of it overlaps my 257 (in terms of ability to carry my stuff) so probably won't go that route.

Really want a larger rucksack kind of bag - may consider the retired Ranger but haven't seen one in person in a long time.
I love my Ranger, but it is more of a black hole since it has no organization outside of a sleeve for the laptop. It’s great for packing a weekend worth of clothes like a small duffle, but not so good for EDC in my opinion.

45C36381-0542-4274-957E-ED8FDE033563.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I concur with Tinman’s observations. If nylon is acceptable to you, the Dryden is nice. I recently got one on sale and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I can look more closely at it if you tell me what you are trying to accomplish. EDC is different for each of us.

The traditional Rucksak shown above in Tinman’s picture is always classic. How big are you? I’m a big guy (6’ and 220#) and the Rucksack shown above is kind of small on me. Still, it‘s so classic looking, I won’t let myself part with it. The Tin Cloth Backpack is tiny on me. It’s still a great looking piece though. I have one of those I’m going to have to let go. I need to see if my daughter might want to rock it before I do so. Looking at the current backpack selection, I can sort of see your conundrum, especially if you’ve already eliminated the Journeyman. The Journeyman is one of the only bags I haven’t owned. Well, in rugged twill. I have one in leather and I realize it is smaller than the twill version.

I understand wanting something larger. But, don’t discount the beauty of having your hands free. I commute on a train and then walk several blocks to work (normally). I don’t carry briefcases. I’m much better off with a backpack. It keeps my hands free and allows me to carry a tote or other packages. I can see wanting to go larger. For me, larger is preferred generally so long as it has a laptop sleeve and at least two pockets, preferably one outside and one small one inside. More than that is acceptable too.

Wow, this has been quite the ramble. I’m sorry I’m not more concise this morning. Let us know how we can help.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all, anyone know where I can buy a NOS tan 256? Nothing super vintage or anything, I just dislike the softer/thinner twill that is used on the current versions. I had one that I bought in 2011 that was much thicker and robust feeling, so would like to get one from around that timeframe if possible

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads