• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Looks smaller than normal. And the straps do not extend to the back like that.
I’ve never seen one like this.
but the design and hardware would suggest first generation

singjai

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I was thinking.. I’ve been trying to get a decent condition first gen brown one for quite some time so hoping it’s large enough. Not being able to put a strap on it is also a bummer.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
My first gen

Attachments

• 72692EB9-951F-46E6-A26B-97C465D835C5.jpeg
    72692EB9-951F-46E6-A26B-97C465D835C5.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 45
  • CB67AB65-9FA1-4BD0-BF60-A5F716E1A8D6.jpeg
    CB67AB65-9FA1-4BD0-BF60-A5F716E1A8D6.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 52

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I recently acquired a first Gen that could use some conditioner. Any suggestions for something that will condition but not change the color much? The color on my specimen is exquisite. I’m not with it for the next week so I’ll have to post pictures later. If it were a knife sheath, I would use Obenaufs. This needs a much gentler touch.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a vintage leather satchel on eBay and noticed it doesn’t really look like any of the vintage ones I’ve seen. This one has a slightly different looking body and no rings for shoulder strap. Does anyone know what this is or what era? @GzStudio @TinMan3 @OtterMeanGreen

View attachment 1618337
View attachment 1618338
View attachment 1618339
I have not seen this bag before. It’s definitely smaller than their other satchel. I know that they made another special edition of the satchel where the straps went all the way around in the 90s, but this is not that. I’m wondering if this was maybe a salesman sample of some kind? Either way, cool bag. I hope the size works out for you.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a first Gen that could use some conditioner. Any suggestions for something that will condition but not change the color much? The color on my specimen is exquisite. I’m not with it for the next week so I’ll have to post pictures later. If it were a knife sheath, I would use Obenaufs. This needs a much gentler touch.
Allen Edmonds leather conditioner or Bick4.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

In a slight diversion, but in the spirit of things outdoorsy, here’s a few photos from my bicycle trip from the last 2 weeks. 9 days, camping, 500+ km and lots of hills, in the north east of the UK, on the border with Scotland. Many castles, and some Viking and Roman stuff too.

Oddly, no Filson gear got taken in the end, as I needed everything to be as light as possible. Of note though were my waxed cotton duck panniers and handlebar bag, and 2 Pendleton wool shirts which are great for riding in.

24D99C79-EF64-4A99-8754-25971392BF2E.jpeg
71A0F40E-C352-4277-8324-25ADFABA21E3.jpeg
I
2613EFC6-05DD-4E4A-AEBA-602BCC4271A4.jpeg

82633125-5A1A-466C-A060-E4AD9F9F96BB.jpeg

E08A4110-03F7-41B7-A2A2-6E0D2BF9A7DE.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
I'm glad you're back, speedy! I was looking at the earlier pictures of your bike and now these - isn't that a pretty aggressive posture for touring? It seems to me like one would prefer being a little more
upright. How mich time were you soending in the saddle each day?

I spent a summer playing soccer in Europe and especially liked the UK. I've no idea why my ancestors ever wanted to leave.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey - good question. It’s a short / high stem so on the tops and hoods it’s very relaxed and upright. The drops are a little lower but actually super comfortable, and I spent most of my time there, uphill, downhill and off road.

I'm glad you're back, speedy! I was looking at the earlier pictures of your bike and now these - isn't that a pretty aggressive posture for touring? It seems to me like one would prefer being a little more
upright. How mich time were you soending in the saddle each day?

I spent a summer playing soccer in Europe and especially liked the UK. I've no idea why my ancestors ever wanted to leave.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey - good question. It’s a short / high stem so on the tops and hoods it’s very relaxed and upright. The drops are a little lower but actually super comfortable, and I spent most of my time there, uphill, downhill and off road.
Plus barcons! That saddle angle is a little, um, unusual.

what gearing do you use?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads