• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Can someone advise on the differences, value, etc. of the following hats:

• Tin Cloth Packer Hat
  • Twin Falls Travel Hat
  • Summer Packer Hat

Stratkat

Reaction score
Here’s my answer to the complaint “I like duffles, but wish they had a zippered pocket for wallet, passports, etc”
944DA839-4E07-4DD9-8E69-30BBE4A9C2A8.jpeg

WJR

Reaction score
Yes, out of all the Smokey items for sale, the pouch stood out to me.

Wish they would make the pouches without the Smokey patch and charge a little less.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wish they would make the pouches without the Smokey patch and charge a little less.
Call the flagship. I’m sure they've got pouches without the Smokey and probably for about the same price. These are essentially a workshop item.

Stratkat

Reaction score

I’m not crazy about some of the Smokey emblazoned gear, but for some reason I really dig these. Would like to see a smaller one too.

Reactions: WJR

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading back from the store but couldn't help myself. Sneak preview of purchase... View attachment 1617782
BEST HAT IN YEARS! Not another as good since the USFS badge hat.

Seriously though, I was also in store today and almost bought a second of that hat since I liked it so much. Decided not to because I know they’ll make other things I can’t live without but man that’s a great hat. Can’t wait to see what else you got…

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw my bag sitting on the counter today and was reminded why I love it so much. I know each of you has a bag that you feel this way about. It’s just perfect for what I need. I honestly never thought it would be a 260. It’s so basic and without a zipper but it just fits the bill all the time. The “FRD” look also keeps it from looking pursy which I appreciate. Happy holiday weekend all!
C92732A0-B05E-479D-88B3-8E9F1E896ACB.jpeg

Last edited:

nevadabob

Reaction score
I really like the hat, too. This MTNTOUGH hat is really neat. The front half of the crown almost feels like neoprene and the back is a breathable mesh, but not that "trucker" style. Anyway, very good hat. The Smokey pouch is better than I hoped. I should have bought three, though. My girls are going to want one each. There's a Ruger LCR posed on top of it for size comparison.

Toyed with bringing home the filson/runabout goods watch cap. It was very well made, indeed. 51F48319-F29E-4F1C-AAE5-3674F6E0EE96.jpeg 9EB4F190-C673-4AEE-88F0-6B70349502EA.jpeg CBEB6102-4517-417C-B120-D92CCCE76003.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
Also, ended up having to call half of the stores in the United States, but I do have a Filson/Stetson Ranger Hat on the way! Should deliver the 8th.

I dropped a couple of watches off to have the batteries replaced and it was fun to habe the staff run around showing my Smokey watch to each other.

Learned a couple of new things chatting with employees today:

1. Tom Hanks has a Smokey watch.

2. Here's why Filson's website says the Smokey Ramger Hat is in extremely limited quantities: They made 30 total between the four sizes.

It's now completely sold out online in less than two days.

Both unsubstantiated, but they both came from Filson employees.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I dropped a couple of watches off to have the batteries replaced…

I’m glad you were able to find a hat. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on it.

I don’t have the Smokey watch but really wish I did. I do have quite a few of the Filson watches though. Would you mind telling me how much it cost you to have the batteries replaced? I should get all in my stable running again.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I'll let you know. One of my watches had the second hand fall off. Took it to Filson and they shipped to Shinola who sent it back to me free of charge. So far, this most recent interaction has cost the same amount, although I do expect an email from Shinola with a cost to replace the batteries. We'll see and I will share.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know. One of my watches had the second hand fall off. Took it to Filson and they shipped to Shinola who sent it back to me free of charge. So far, this most recent interaction has cost the same amount, although I do expect an email from Shinola with a cost to replace the batteries. We'll see and I will share.
I’ve had a shinola watch battery replaced and it was $25. A little pricey, but they test it for the appropriate pressurization and everything to make sure it can withstand it’s advertised water resistance. They did say that if you bought it new it comes with its first battery replacement for free.

singjai

Reaction score
I just picked up a vintage leather satchel on eBay and noticed it doesn’t really look like any of the vintage ones I’ve seen. This one has a slightly different looking body and no rings for shoulder strap. Does anyone know what this is or what era? @GzStudio @TinMan3 @OtterMeanGreen

B6EAD50C-3F92-4D81-9D00-DBEE5D28EF89.png

84940CEF-B661-46F0-94BD-01C682FC822C.png

93E96210-5EF0-4F54-86B7-3BFC8EAFF5F0.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads