• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I do have 2 and they both fit the same. Very much true to size. I’m a medium in the Mack cruiser and in the short cruiser. 5’11” 170ish average build. It’s a great piece. I use them both often over sweaters/hoodies and find them incredibly useful.

I’ll second the true to size. I’m an XL in a Mack and nearly everything else Filson (xxl in Short Cruiser). I’m an XL in the Work Vest and like how it fits me and allows layering like TinMan describes. They are good quality Filson items that I do not use for actual work, for what that is worth.

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Does anyone here own a Tom Beckbe Tensaw jacket? Been looking for one in Tobacco or Navy, size Medium

CCF1897

Reaction score
Does anyone here own a Tom Beckbe Tensaw jacket? Been looking for one in Tobacco or Navy, size Medium
Yes, two. I have several products from them, don’t believe they make the Tensaw in navy but I could be wrong. I’ve done/do field testing on their pre-market products from time to time as well. I do believe they are currently having a warehouse sale.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been so insanely busy. I’m sorry, my intention was not to drag this out. My house is in construction mode again and work has not exactly been without complication lately… a few pics of the renovation to give you a feel for what I’m dealing with haha. Anyone who has worked with demolishing plaster and lathe knows…

View attachment 1610015 View attachment 1610016 View attachment 1610017 View attachment 1610018
Ah yes... when in the mid-1800's was your house built?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the well wishes from the members here in my absence. My good friend @TinMan3 has reached out to me a couple of times to check in, but it was @Stratkat that brought me back. It’s no mystery that the two of us have been at odds over the years, but to see his posts wishing me well, touched me to the core. It brought me back! Thanks brother!!!!

I’m doing much better now. Was going through hell for awhile. First my best friend in this whole world passed away from Kidney Failure. We battled it for 2 months; we did everything we could for him, and I gotta hope we helped him pass on into the next life. There’s a emptiness in my home, but even more, an emptiness in my soul. I’m a better man for knowing him.

View attachment 1610094

Those of you with dogs (or cats) that have blessed your life will understand. I was the first man that he let into his heart after 5 years of abuse and neglect. He died at peace in his forever home with his forever family around him. Aside from that i was nearly homeless.

Very sorry to hear about your loss brother. It's amazing the relationship we can have with our pet-companions, and all I can say is your grief offers a pretty good insight to the amazing home you provided for your pal. Every dog deserves a place like that, especially the ones that come from an abused background. (I stopped counting in my teens how many animals we had over the years between strays we found homes for and family pets - it was almost 80 and my mom wasn't nearly finished yet. My first dog was a beagle my then-fiancé-now-wife and I found on the side of the road, so she was "Roadie"). Anyway, something made me click on this thread again after a long-ish absence myself, and glad to find you back and the community as strong as ever. That's a great thing in this world.

Things are looking up for me now. Call it a new outlook on life, but I’m in a good place now and I’m so relieved to return to the forum. We got something special here, unlike anything else I’ve seen before, and I’m grateful to be a part of it.

Here’s several Filson-ish Pictures in my absence. I have a new exciting project in the works. I don’t want to reveal too much, but it involves a Talon Era #258...in Otter Green of course. It’s a unique project to say the least, one that i can’t imagine has been attempted before.

View attachment 1610099

View attachment 1610100

View attachment 1610101

Here’s to many more posts to come. I’m excited to learn what I’ve missed and to do what I do best seemingly...create conversation.

:)

Last edited:

Vamp-ire

Reaction score
Yes, two. I have several products from them, don’t believe they make the Tensaw in navy but I could be wrong. I’ve done/do field testing on their pre-market products from time to time as well. I do believe they are currently having a warehouse sale.

They are? Was that why the original Tensaw was sold out :/

I know for a fact I saw an image of a navy Tensaw on thwir website.

Ugh the warehouse sale was on the 8th :/

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toward the end actually, 1894, just a few years pre-Filson. When we bought the house it still had the old knob and tube and cloth wiring throughout. Unchanged in over 100 years! Dangerous, but pretty cool. Lol.

Wow - I guess some of that is regional. I grew up in a house that was built in 1847. My parents were the third family to own the house, and while most of the upstairs had been (relatively) modernized, the downstairs was pretty... original. I remember my dad and a friend pulling down the plaster and lathing and the mushroom-clouds it created between the floorboards - lol. That's hard work (I was only 11, so my main job was to help sweep up). Looks like you've got a cool project :)

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic diversion.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - I guess some of that is regional. I grew up in a house that was built in 1847. My parents were the third family to own the house, and while most of the upstairs had been (relatively) modernized, the downstairs was pretty... original. I remember my dad and a friend pulling down the plaster and lathing and the mushroom-clouds it created between the floorboards - lol. That's hard work (I was only 11, so my main job was to help sweep up). Looks like you've got a cool project :)

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic diversion.
The quantity of dust is unbelievable. Regular drywall is a cakewalk in comparison. The rooms pictured had an estimated 6k pounds of plaster in them. It’s not too off topic really, this house has been my life for the last 18 months and I’ve gotten to use lots of my Filson gear. The dry tin pants are the clear mvp. They brush off nails and other sharp edges with ease and I still have no holes or other issues with them after a year of hard use. I thought I was going to be sending them in for repair at some point but now I’m not sure I’ll ever need to haha. But the waxed work vest has been great in combo with one of the heavy duty USA made hoodies and my goatskin gloves for carrying out debris. Countless hours and probably more Advil than I’d like to admit but man it’s an awesome thing when you get to see your work paying off!

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Off the board a bit over the next 10 days. Cycling in the wilds with limited signal. Waxed canvas bags though!

9D6B2F57-A7EB-4BF6-833E-5362DF5A4A2C.jpeg

160B1D8D-22E7-46F5-AF0D-820E6E13900A.jpeg

Bespoke49er

Reaction score
First post on Filson Bag Thread & on Style Forum. I recently acquired a Filson #239 XL Outfitter bag in OG. 6th Filson bag overall after getting my feet wet with a #266 Sportsman Utility Bag (Tan), a #243 Medium Pullman (Navy), a #70232 Medium Field Bag (Navy) & 2x #70246 Medium Travel Bags (Navy & OG). Both MTBs and now the Outfiter were pre-owned and this is my first need for a real rehab. No provenance on the XL Outfitter beyond Talon zippers and no build tag, so I’m assuming a 1st gen. I removed the leather zipper pulls & shoulder strap and started cleaning the bag with a solution of cold water & Jason Markk cleanser as well as Obenauf’s HDLP for the leather. Thankfully no odor issues to deal with. I’m now torn between an attempted rewax or leaving the bag as is. I’ve read every post on this thread back to 2009 regarding rewaxing Filson rugged twill bags. Great tips & lots of good debate on the pros/cons so thanks to all of you for the information & views on the topic! I plan to use the bag to haul my fly fishing gear as I explore my home state of AK, so I’m leaning towards a rewax using the Fjallraven wax bars. In addition to increasing the water repellency, I wouldn’t mind trying to rehab the rugged twill as it seems pretty well worn. I’d also like a bit darker color, but something short of the full “wet” look, as the bag appears to have faded over the years. I’m on the hunt for a Medium or Large Outfitter if anyone has any taking up space in their closet or garage. Thanks to the “pros from Dover” for all the great info on Outfitters & I look forward to posting a pic post rehab. ? AEA17C2A-1F6D-4ECD-825E-D3499B9CF850.jpeg 037BD70A-762C-4682-9C59-83E600AF0BCE.jpeg 20F2BA3D-CA2E-4BFC-8213-EFD60D8674A0.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
I'd leave the bag as is, twere it mine. Or start on the bottom so you know how it'll look and can hide it if you don't like it. I rewaxed one bag - tin cloth - and didn't like it. My only advice is start small. You can always add more. But as my buddy Stephen King says, "Done bun can't be undone."

Bespoke49er

Reaction score
I'd leave the bag as is, twere it mine. Or start on the bottom so you know how it'll look and can hide it if you don't like it. I rewaxed one bag - tin cloth - and didn't like it. My only advice is start small. You can always add more. But as my buddy Stephen King says, "Done bun can't be undone."
? Thxs @nevadabob! Happened to start w/ a light coat on the bottom last night. Will see what I think of it after I finish my morning cup of coffee.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Guys! There is some SWEET new Smokey stuff that just popped up in the "New Arrivals" section of Filson's website...

The Belt, Ranger Hat and Twill Pouch are pretty much my three sirens at the moment.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys! There is some SWEET new Smokey stuff that just popped up in the "New Arrivals" section of Filson's website...

The Belt, Ranger Hat and Twill Pouch are pretty much my three sirens at the moment.
I have a feeling that ranger hat is going to go very quickly. The belt is very cool too. I’m a sucker for the waxed cotton caps as well. Similar to the USFS ones from a few years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads