• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
PS, to anyone interested - those short lined denim cruisers are still being made. I thought they were a one shot Johnny limited run, but production was just halted because of the rona. I saw plenty in one of the Filson stores recently. Not sure if they've been restocked online.

Tinman - do you still have the trapper, or did you end up using it? I thought it was an intriguing bag - not unlike the possibles pouch. Just not sure I'd be confident to pull off either.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Ahhh you spotted it… it is not the trapper pack, but a reveal to come soon. I think @A JEDI IM will probably recognize it :)
Oh boy. Now I’ve gotten pulled into a guessing game. Hmmm. The only thing I can think of is Leather Journeyman. I don’t think my Rugged Canvas Rucksack has straps just like that. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m not home to check and my Rugged Canvas Rucksack is en route back from Filson repairs. When it was first made, a couple stitches on the leather trim did not catch the canvas. The frayed end of the canvas was exposed. I finally sent it in after four years.

Back to the mystery at hand. It might be that Workshop Rucksack I favored almost a year ago. Green with lots of incredible leather on it. I’m changing my answer and going with the Workshop Ruck. If so, damn, man!! I still think about that one. If you somehow picked it up, it is a reveal indeed!

nevadabob

Reaction score
Filson cooler bag! No, that's not the dungenness patch...although I do want one! DE0D1971-4212-4E57-B817-ADF6273F1610.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
Oh boy. Now I’ve gotten pulled into a guessing game. Hmmm. The only thing I can think of is Leather Journeyman. I don’t think my Rugged Canvas Rucksack has straps just like that. Maybe I’m wrong. I’m not home to check and my Rugged Canvas Rucksack is en route back from Filson repairs. When it was first made, a couple stitches on the leather trim did not catch the canvas. The frayed end of the canvas was exposed. I finally sent it in after four years.

Back to the mystery at hand. It might be that Workshop Rucksack I favored almost a year ago. Green with lots of incredible leather on it. I’m changing my answer and going with the Workshop Ruck. If so, damn, man!! I still think about that one. If you somehow picked it up, it is a reveal indeed!

Ya, I'm going to go with the leather journeyman, as well. Just did a little snooping around on The Internets.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like @TinMan3 is dragging this thing out like a @OtterMeanGreen reveal? It reminds me of that really old Heinz tv commercial “Anticipationnnn…it’s keepin’ me waaaaiting….”

BTW, @OtterMeanGreen would have solved this within an hour based on the clock orientation of the rivets or some other arcane detail the rest of of would miss. I do hope that fellow is alright.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like @TinMan3 is dragging this thing out like a @OtterMeanGreen reveal? It reminds me of that really old Heinz tv commercial “Anticipationnnn…it’s keepin’ me waaaaiting….”

BTW, @OtterMeanGreen would have solved this within an hour based on the clock orientation of the rivets or some other arcane detail the rest of of would miss. I do hope that fellow is alright.
I’ve been so insanely busy. I’m sorry, my intention was not to drag this out. My house is in construction mode again and work has not exactly been without complication lately… a few pics of the renovation to give you a feel for what I’m dealing with haha. Anyone who has worked with demolishing plaster and lathe knows…

1F3BA17C-63F9-4282-AFD2-65D95DA11293.jpeg
838AF3DF-E8CE-4C50-A746-618081280B4F.jpeg
A7619306-D8A4-4508-B3E6-3BBB7BED1D89.jpeg
B1FAEFA9-FC5F-4BCF-8D31-F1E5E9541AD6.jpeg

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without further ado, my friends @A JEDI IM and @nevadabob were correct, I found a new weatherproof leather journeyman for an unbelievable price, well less than a new standard journeyman. I was initially conflicted because I have been looking for the otter green journeyman for a very long time, but the leather bag is SO nice. What really made up my mind was that the leather will be easier to clean and I like the patina better on the leather than the otter green twill/tin cloth. So this will be my dad bag. The only thing it’s lacking is lots of organization, but really the large front pocket is good enough for me.

1FD3779A-1F00-4420-8B37-33E16B022C92.jpeg
BC6E44D7-49AC-421E-85A3-52E5FE4ADF78.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
Yes!! Great call. I don't think you'll regret not having much organizational space. Infant gear is much larger than you'd think and doesn't smash easily into tiny pickets anyway.

That's a heckuva remodel! What space are you guys creating?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes!! Great call. I don't think you'll regret not having much organizational space. Infant gear is much larger than you'd think and doesn't smash easily into tiny pickets anyway.

That's a heckuva remodel! What space are you guys creating?
Well, we started with the kitchen, garage and back porch along with the floors early last year. Last fall we focused on the 3rd floor where we are currently living which is like an in law suite, and now we are remodeling (or really rebuilding) the second floor bathroom and the “master” bedroom/closet and small 4th bedroom. There won’t be a single room in this house that didn’t get a massive overhaul. Once we’re done with the second floor all that’s left will be some windows and the basement, which we will be waiting on until after the baby comes. Yeesh I’m ready for a break haha.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I appreciate the well wishes from the members here in my absence. My good friend @TinMan3 has reached out to me a couple of times to check in, but it was @Stratkat that brought me back. It’s no mystery that the two of us have been at odds over the years, but to see his posts wishing me well, touched me to the core. It brought me back! Thanks brother!!!!

I’m doing much better now. Was going through hell for awhile. First my best friend in this whole world passed away from Kidney Failure. We battled it for 2 months; we did everything we could for him, and I gotta hope we helped him pass on into the next life. There’s a emptiness in my home, but even more, an emptiness in my soul. I’m a better man for knowing him.

BADD7FE5-3E4D-4DF9-A5AB-BE25F7E123DF.jpeg

Those of you with dogs (or cats) that have blessed your life will understand. I was the first man that he let into his heart after 5 years of abuse and neglect. He died at peace in his forever home with his forever family around him. Aside from that i was nearly homeless.

Things are looking up for me now. Call it a new outlook on life, but I’m in a good place now and I’m so relieved to return to the forum. We got something special here, unlike anything else I’ve seen before, and I’m grateful to be a part of it.

Here’s several Filson-ish Pictures in my absence. I have a new exciting project in the works. I don’t want to reveal too much, but it involves a Talon Era #258...in Otter Green of course. It’s a unique project to say the least, one that i can’t imagine has been attempted before.

5BC5BECC-E4D2-493B-8E4F-9297830CB946.jpeg

B6CB35C9-1E82-48F5-BD52-DC5F20BBA914.jpeg

F8F11909-C67D-4B64-96E8-942FA5E51224.jpeg

Here’s to many more posts to come. I’m excited to learn what I’ve missed and to do what I do best seemingly...create conversation.

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I appreciate the well wishes from the members here in my absence. My good friend @TinMan3 has reached out to me a couple of times to check in, but it was @Stratkat that brought me back. It’s no mystery that the two of us have been at odds over the years, but to see his posts wishing me well, touched me to the core. It brought me back! Thanks brother!!!!

I’m doing much better now. Was going through hell for awhile. First my best friend in this whole world passed away from Kidney Failure. We battled it for 2 months; we did everything we could for him, and I gotta hope we helped him pass on into the next life. There’s a emptiness in my home, but even more, an emptiness in my soul. I’m a better man for knowing him.

View attachment 1610094

Those of you with dogs (or cats) that have blessed your life will understand. I was the first man that he let into his heart after 5 years of abuse and neglect. He died at peace in his forever home with his forever family around him. Aside from that i was nearly homeless.

Things are looking up for me now. Call it a new outlook on life, but I’m in a good place now and I’m so relieved to return to the forum. We got something special here, unlike anything else I’ve seen before, and I’m grateful to be a part of it.

Here’s several Filson-ish Pictures in my absence. I have a new exciting project in the works. I don’t want to reveal too much, but it involves a Talon Era #258...in Otter Green of course. It’s a unique project to say the least, one that i can’t imagine has been attempted before.

View attachment 1610099

View attachment 1610100

View attachment 1610101

Here’s to many more posts to come. I’m excited to learn what I’ve missed and to do what I do best seemingly...create conversation.

Oddly, I was thinking about our family dog this morning. It wasn’t thinking I was doing as much as I was still mourning his loss over two years on. Grief/trauma are very weird, non-linear, non-proportional things. I’ve had much worse happen in my life than losing him. But, dang, that one still gets me way more than it should. I’m very sorry for your loss, OMG. I sympathize with it. Dogs can be such amazingly loving creatures. Their absence leaves a palpable void.

I’m glad you are back and mostly okay, OMG. Although I remain concerned about the “nearly homeless” comment. I hope that is truly sorting itself and you are fully back in the game of life. If you want to talk about it, there are some Talon zipper loving Filsonites who, I am sure, would lend you their ear.

Finally, your latest project…. Let me just say that one should not combine twill and unicycling. It won’t end well for the twill or your body. Words to live by, right there. I look forward to seeing what OMG Labs, Inc. is cooking up now!

Please take care of yourself.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Without further ado, my friends @A JEDI IM and @nevadabob were correct, I found a new weatherproof leather journeyman for an unbelievable price, well less than a new standard journeyman. I was initially conflicted because I have been looking for the otter green journeyman for a very long time, but the leather bag is SO nice. What really made up my mind was that the leather will be easier to clean and I like the patina better on the leather than the otter green twill/tin cloth. So this will be my dad bag. The only thing it’s lacking is lots of organization, but really the large front pocket is good enough for me.

View attachment 1610055 View attachment 1610056

That’s a really great looking backpack. The leather Journeyman is really a refined piece. The padding sewn into the back, the nice, thick wool on the underside of the straps. I briefly thought I might get rid of mine. Seeing pictures of it has reminded me that I should keep it in the stable and find uses for it. I expect it will be a great dad bag and will have amazing stories to tell by the time your offspring heads to high school. Great choice, I think. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score

View attachment 1610094

View attachment 1610099

View attachment 1610100

View attachment 1610101

I know exactly how you feel. We lost our cat, Greyson, 10 yrs ago. He had slowed down over his last year, and there came a day when he pretty much told us it was time. We took him in and I held the little guy and whispered in his ear till he was gone and it just broke my heart. They become so much apart of you. The worst thing I’ve had to experience first hand. To make it even more difficult, he was pretty well known to the staff at the pet hospital, so many filed in to say goodbye, I still get a lump in my throat when we pass the place. I can say this though, we gave him the best life we could, and I’m sure you did as well. I wish I could say in all honesty you get over it, but it still brings me down if I dwell on it. Sorry for your loss...

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Can anybody help me out with the Wax Work vest sizing?
I think @TinMan3 had one.
what size you wearing, what size are your other coats etc. TIA

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody help me out with the Wax Work vest sizing?
I think @TinMan3 had one.
what size you wearing, what size are your other coats etc. TIA
I do have 2 and they both fit the same. Very much true to size. I’m a medium in the Mack cruiser and in the short cruiser. 5’11” 170ish average build. It’s a great piece. I use them both often over sweaters/hoodies and find them incredibly useful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads