• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CCF1897

Reaction score
How’s everyone doing?

any new acquisitions?
I was able to pick up this years Wool Packer for a highly reduced price from a online dealer in XL. It is absolutely beautiful, the deep color pattern is my favorite, and for my taste the best I have seen on these to date. Extremely high quality and well made. Not sure what my plans are for it yet, I would like to keep it and will likely end up wearing it every now and then, when the deal popped up I acted quick and grabbed it.
Lined Wool Packer Coat (filson.com)

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I was able to pick up this years Wool Packer for a highly reduced price from a online dealer in XL. It is absolutely beautiful, the deep color pattern is my favorite, and for my taste the best I have seen on these to date. Extremely high quality and well made. Not sure what my plans are for it yet, I would like to keep it and will likely end up wearing it every now and then, when the deal popped up I acted quick and grabbed it.
Seems like everyone who owns one loves it

Stratkat

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a pretty special coat. Ironically the first year I bought it was on a trip to New England in January. It was perfect for that trip

originalhype

Reaction score
Here something that people have not notice and Filson is not saying this and hopefully they will say something about it.
I am sure their telerance is sewing is 1/4" due to the thickness but they should be adding more to the fabric - this way the thickness could stay the same or at least a bit wider.

Seems like filson is making the briefcase thinner by 1/4." To you it may not seem much but when putting a lot of stuff in the briefcase will make a difference.

Cinder color is old. The briefcase was bought last year.

br1.jpg br2.jpg br3.jpg

WJR

Reaction score
originalhype,

With all due respect, your measurements and presentation do not seem to be completely apples to apples. The cinder briefcase is more expanded versus the tan. Perhaps you could demonstrate with both bags being equally expanded. Otherwise, the pictures do not do your comparison justice.

originalhype

Reaction score
originalhype,

With all due respect, your measurements and presentation do not seem to be completely apples to apples. The cinder briefcase is more expanded versus the tan. Perhaps you could demonstrate with both bags being equally expanded. Otherwise, the pictures do not do your comparison justice.

understood and I thought I needed to expand it first but I was measuring from seam to seam. This way It did not need to expand. I tried to expand the tan but it did not make a major difference in the thickness. Maybe the tan will be the same thickness in 3-4 years but that would be a detriment to the filson QC.

Reactions: WJR

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been giving the Filson railsplitter selvedge a run for the last 6 months and thought I would give you guys an update.
Great jeans. Standard fit, not skinny on me by any means. Good for working in and ease of movement. They stretched out a lot, so if you’re like me and plan to wash infrequently, you’ll want them a little snug to start with. Anyways, these have been worn on average 5x per week at least since November 6th, 2020. Here are the pre-first wash results.

5EA3FD12-BFCE-488E-854C-17626729009B.jpeg

247E7C72-0E00-44D6-9E0F-7201E0F2F880.jpeg

Personally, I’m really happy with how they have faded over the first 6 months of wear. I don’t want extremely high contrast fades so I will probably wash every couple of months going forward. These are really good jeans. Nothing more or less. I think they do the Filson name proud even if they weren’t made in the Seattle factories. For those of you that don’t know they were made to Filson’s specifications in a major denim manufacturing plant in LA. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I’ve been giving the Filson railsplitter selvedge a run for the last 6 months and thought I would give you guys an update.
Great jeans. Standard fit, not skinny on me by any means. Good for working in and ease of movement. They stretched out a lot, so if you’re like me and plan to wash infrequently, you’ll want them a little snug to start with. Anyways, these have been worn on average 5x per week at least since November 6th, 2020. Here are the pre-first wash results.

View attachment 1605484
View attachment 1605485
Personally, I’m really happy with how they have faded over the first 6 months of wear. I don’t want extremely high contrast fades so I will probably wash every couple of months going forward. These are really good jeans. Nothing more or less. I think they do the Filson name proud even if they weren’t made in the Seattle factories. For those of you that don’t know they were made to Filson’s specifications in a major denim manufacturing plant in LA. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

can we see a pic of you going full Canadian tuxedo? denim cruiser, rail splitters, and the cone mills 256 ?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can we see a pic of you going full Canadian tuxedo? denim cruiser, rail splitters, and the cone mills 256 ?
I will tell you, the denim cruiser and rail splitters has been happening frequently. I asked my wife if she is embarrassed to be with me when I do and she said she thinks it looks great since I wear it confidently. If you know her, she wouldn’t lie either haha. Anyways, I have not gone FULL tux with the briefcase yet but when I do I’ll be sure to post it. ?

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will tell you, the denim cruiser and rail splitters has been happening frequently. I asked my wife if she is embarrassed to be with me when I do and she said she thinks it looks great since I wear it confidently. If you know her, she wouldn’t lie either haha. Anyways, I have not gone FULL tux with the briefcase yet but when I do I’ll be sure to post it. ?
I know this to be true about your wife! But - pics or it didn’t happen :)

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this to be true about your wife! But - pics or it didn’t happen :)
I looked through my phone and found no photos!! So I had The wife take one this morning at the Farmer’s Market. This is post-wash on the pants and I’m not gonna lie I miss the slightly deeper blue from before. Definitely the best fading I’ve gotten though in a first wash. Also LOVE the goatskin gloves. They’re perfect when you just need to cut the wind and are extremely comfortable.

6A146DA5-9CE3-4E17-80B5-DBCD1B4FDD8E.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
Bonus points for a popeye hat - and is that the trapper backpack? All leather, couple-of-a-kind-type-of-thing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads