• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I dunno if you guys follow Jack Dorsey, but he started a website that's kind of a big deal. Here's his latest...

5D116AED-8E43-4079-9148-CEE86DBFDEBF.png

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno if you guys follow Jack Dorsey, but he started a website that's kind of a big deal. Here's his latest...

View attachment 1568930

So I guess we could see future price increases because demand increases and subsequent supply diminishes, or at the very least a new deviation in overall build quality. Like many other things before (Abercrombie, Eddie Bauer, etc) we might also expect to see major structural and characteristical consequential changes, thanks to the millions of followers of some disconnected and deluded (my opinion) tech billionaire with an influence so big, it’s not entirely inconceivable.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed a nice stroll to the beach with Hilma and Chauncey on this fine Sunday afternoon. 41 and windy was a bit chilly but the lines cruiser is completely wind proof and with a long sleeve Henley underneath I was more than comfortable. Also wearing my dry tin pants here. I can’t wait for it to jump up another 30 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be 60 and sunny and I’m definitely ready for it!

8A481E22-E653-47F9-9C71-25BC280B8AE0.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I guess we could see future price increases because demand increases and subsequent supply diminishes, or at the very least a new deviation in overall build quality. Like many other things before (Abercrombie, Eddie Bauer, etc) we might also expect to see major structural and characteristical consequential changes, thanks to the millions of followers of some disconnected and deluded (my opinion) tech billionaire with an influence so big, it’s not entirely inconceivable.
Yeah maybe so but that’s a bit of a far cry from nevadabobs post. I think prices will go up because they keep selling out of their Seattle-made garments and from what I hear they are operating at capacity, so the limited supply and growing demand will likely equal +++pricing. The hooded mac that was $850 is basically sold out. The Mack this year is sold out online and they’ve been sold out of a lot of the tin cloth garments since fall of last year. I mean, that’s leaving a lot of money on the table. I think the more likely observation would be that more manufacturing is going to keep getting pushed over seas due to limited capacity onshore. Like the mile marker that’s been made in Seattle forever went overseas this year. That’s one of the first “staples” to make the transition and it won’t be the last.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
If you ever see a medium field bag at a solid price, I’m your huckleberry!

I’ve got one in tan that has never been used. It still has the tags on it. I would need to look at the manufacturing date but I expect it is within the last few years. If you are interested, I’ll find it and figure out what I need for it.

thewinedown

Reaction score
I’ve got one in tan that has never been used. It still has the tags on it. I would need to look at the manufacturing date but I expect it is within the last few years. If you are interested, I’ll find it and figure out what I need for it.
I’d entertain it. I really don’t need so I’m a little on the fence right now. But, maybe I’d hit you back down the line.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah maybe so but that’s a bit of a far cry from nevadabobs post. I think prices will go up because they keep selling out of their Seattle-made garments and from what I hear they are operating at capacity, so the limited supply and growing demand will likely equal +++pricing. The hooded mac that was $850 is basically sold out. The Mack this year is sold out online and they’ve been sold out of a lot of the tin cloth garments since fall of last year. I mean, that’s leaving a lot of money on the table. I think the more likely observation would be that more manufacturing is going to keep getting pushed over seas due to limited capacity onshore. Like the mile marker that’s been made in Seattle forever went overseas this year. That’s one of the first “staples” to make the transition and it won’t be the last.

That was kind of my point and how I look at certain situations, not to say I always expect the worst to happen, but in this particular case, if it doesn’t it sort of feels like a win. I agree though, Filson is unequivocally operating at capacity in the States and more off-shoring might ease some of their supply/demand challenges. Unfortunately in the process that could offer itself new challenges (PR wise) when it starts to conflict with their Americana brand image, as more and more of their MiUSA products are pushed offshore.

Last edited:
Reaction score
View attachment 1568373

It might just be a strange coincidence but I just bought a Rye that is rumored to be Doc Holliday's go to whiskey. It was also once the official medicinal whiskey of the US Navy way back during the World Wars. It's exceptionally good for the price. Oldest whiskey line in the US. It was also a featured episode on the critically acclaimed series Boardwalk Empire (modern reference)

View attachment 1568375
One of the best mixing ryes there is. Good flavor and a great price point.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was kind of my point and how I look at certain situations, not to say I always expect the worst to happen, but in this particular case, if it doesn’t it sort of feels like a win. I agree though, Filson is unequivocally operating at capacity in the States and more off-shoring might ease some of their supply/demand challenges. Unfortunately in the process that could offer itself new challenges (PR wise) when it starts to conflict with their Americana brand image, as more and more of their MiUSA products are pushed offshore.
Yes I agree. the more they make off shore the more it begins to feel like their on shore manufacturing in just a cheap trick to keep their customers thinking the business is still rooted in supporting the US labor force when the reality is a lot of that is smoke and mirrors with USA centered branding but very little actual USA impact. Regardless I think they would like to make more in the US, it’s just either not profitable enough or they don’t have the capacity.

When @speedy611 and I were at the Filson store in London the store manager was explaining that making a shirt in the US doesn’t cost that much less in labor time than making a jacket, so in order to be able to make shirts in the US they would have to charge far more than they currently are which is already outrageous at retail. I personally think that tells you a lot about the exceptional margins that they expect on their products, but it does make sense why they would be reluctant to make lower cost items in Seattle.

sindrearg

Reaction score
Hi!
Might be a long shot, but I'm still shooting my shot. I'm looking after a black or navy coloured Journeyman backpack in a "pristine" or "like new" condition. Doesn't matter which generation.
If you're interested in selling or know about one, please DM me.

Kindest regards,

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Might be a long shot, but I'm still shooting my shot. I'm looking after a black or navy coloured Journeyman backpack in a "pristine" or "like new" condition. Doesn't matter which generation.
If you're interested in selling or know about one, please DM me.

Kindest regards,

Not a long shot at all, although it could be if you were searching for a 1st Edition, which comes around only several times a year if that. Actually I had recently sourced a 1st Edition Navy Journeyman with Rivets, at the request of another member. He didn’t take it but it’s certainly proof that more are out there. What’s your price point? Keep in mind the new (and lesser quality versions) go for $395 on the Filson website. The common 10% discount brings it to just over $355. So I would start there myself, as Filson’s continue to succeed value/resale wise on secondary markets.

sindrearg

Reaction score
Not a long shot at all, although it could be if you were searching for a 1st Edition, which comes around only several times a year if that. Actually I had recently sourced a 1st Edition Navy Journeyman with Rivets, at the request of another member. He didn’t take it but it’s certainly proof that more are out there. What’s your price point? Keep in mind the new (and lesser quality versions) go for $395 on the Filson website. The common 10% discount brings it to just over $355. So I would start there myself, as Filson’s continue to succeed value/resale wise on secondary markets.
If I'm able to source down a 1st or 2nd gen, that would be solid. Preferably a 1st gen in black if I'm lucky enough.
I'm more than happy to pay the needed money for one in a really good condition, we're looking at atleast 355-400$ on the budget.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics