• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are all those leather conditioners pretty good? I was considering getting the one at Filson’s website. I have an older messenger bag that the leather is pretty dry but not sure of the era since there’s no tag.
thanks

I haven't heard any reviews of this stuff but it is the only dedicated conditioner Filson now sells on their website.

For years they sold Obenauf's HDLP which I've had nothing but success using on Filson's (sometimes) difficult bridle leathers (including Talon, YKK, Filson YKK). Many on here have used it and swear by it for their Filson's. I don't think any of the aforementioned conditioners were used by more then one or two members, so I cannot recommend either.

Last edited:

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I've only ever used Saphir products for my leather shoes/boots. They've done an excellent job conditioning, colouring and creating a shine on all my leather shoes, whether they were entry level gyw or more expensive hw. If it's good enough for those more delicate leathers, should be good for workwear leather.

Are all those leather conditioners pretty good? I was considering getting the one at Filson’s website. I have an older messenger bag that the leather is pretty dry but not sure of the era since there’s no tag.
thanks

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Built with "Industrial-Grade Rugged Twill". An interesting bunch of marketing gobbledygook

industrial grade.PNG

Dano2875

Reaction score
Anyone know why 50s mackinaw cruiser feel thinner then the newer cruisers? Just bought a 50s plaid cruiser in great condition and it feels thinner.

Attachments

• 8B4EFBE0-3BF6-41AE-9B3D-999FB5C1B63D.jpeg
    8B4EFBE0-3BF6-41AE-9B3D-999FB5C1B63D.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 6483324E-2950-486C-8C64-4CD76CEFA3BC.jpeg
    6483324E-2950-486C-8C64-4CD76CEFA3BC.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 69

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt anyone else's experiences but I never had anything less than outstanding success applying Bick 4 conditioner to anything leather. Two things I especially like about it is it has never darkened any of my lighter leathers and it won't excessively soak into the leather. Any excess simply sits there and can be wiped off.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt anyone else's experiences but I never had anything less than outstanding success applying Bick 4 conditioner to anything leather. Two things I especially like about it is it has never darkened any of my lighter leathers and it won't excessively soak into the leather. Any excess simply sits there and can be wiped off.

Have you applied it on a Filson Talon Era leather before?

I will give you that, it doesn't darken the leather, which is why I applied it to my Natural Tanner Goods Tooling Leather wallet before selling. I wouldn't have any problem applying it to boots or belts, but not my Filson's.

I ruined part of my Talon #264 shoulder strap with just a little, and it was definitely in need of hydration. It drank several coats of the Obenauf's shortly after, but there is a couple of inches of bridle that is still noticeably affected. After applying the HDLP the sueded Talon Era leather smoothed out to its quintessential appearance except for this part, which has the "elephant knee effect" that @Soletrane is always referring to. Only thing I will say about this particular look is that it has a wet hydrated appearance to it, unlike the Bedrock (year specific) dry crackly look to it. I should've chose a less visual area when testing, so the fault is my own.

IMG_3974[1].JPG

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Added a new bucket list item to my minimalist EDC collection. This one was a difficult trigger pull but one that I have been thinking about for 3 years now. I was able to lock in an almost unheard of 20% off too, which is why I finally caved to the pressure. @M635Guy gets a lot of the credit here, he was my inspiration. Thanks buddy!

Ashland Leather Fat Herbie made with Natural Horween Shell Cordovan

View attachment 1507255

View attachment 1507259

Encouragement!

Congrats sir - I think you'll really love it. It holds an amazing amount of stuff and maintains a slim profile.
I seem to be an enabler...

In any case, here's where mine sits today
ksTxtQs.jpg

That doesn't really capture the depth and tones very well, but you can see the great patina.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats sir - I think you'll really love it. It holds an amazing amount of stuff and maintains a slim profile.
I seem to be an enabler...

In any case, here's where mine sits today
ksTxtQs.jpg

That doesn't really capture the depth and tones very well, but you can see the great patina.

Haha thanks man! I’m sure that I will. Since I sold my Tanner Goods I’ve already made a commitment towards it. I should note that it does fit in the front pockets of pants, so unlike what it says on the website, it does serve as a front pocket wallet. I’ve never in my life been a back pocket kind of guy, so that might matter to those considering it.

Yours has such a rich patina to it, can’t wait for mine to look like that, but I am in no rush. I bought a good quality horsehair brush and Saphir Cordovan Cream for those rare times I will Condition it. That was not cheap ($9 an ounce), but there really is no better product when it comes to treating Shell Cordovan. I intend on brushing it often though, which was a recommendation from the guys at Ashland Leather, who (as you know) also work for Horween Leather Co.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TinMan3 found a pretty nice deal for a potential Chauncey carrier, plus you can always make them an offer for a price you think is fair. Love when sellers include that feature

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
View attachment 1509834
My Black Friday Filson Outlet purchases.
SuedeTote, Limited Edition Cape coat, unknown model Filson moccasin boots.
Boots appear to be well made but not the hand made Russell Collaboration one's.
Sale was 30% off already low prices.

Those are three really nice items. I only have the tote and love it. The other two look fantastic too. Nice haul.

So-33

Reaction score
Anyone know why 50s mackinaw cruiser feel thinner then the newer cruisers? Just bought a 50s plaid cruiser in great condition and it feels thinner.
[/QUOTE
From past experience in the early 70's I had purchased a Mackinaw Cruiser in the same in the same buffalo plaid pattern at a thrift store.
It was very old at that time. It was in good shape and the material was thinner.
Being an active teenager it only lasted a couple of years before wearing out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads