• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I said it once I’ve said it a thousand times; posting a picture of a flask without a spirit is almost sacrilegious. To make up for these sins, I give you my Barrel Proofs of my collection with my Filson x Stanley Flask stealing the spotlight

F529FD92-4465-4530-AA83-CE03A06AD707.jpeg

Last edited:

jayvee

Reaction score
BTW, it’s not this. I’ve found something even better looking (personally speaking) and also has a bit more of a rich history in aviation. The band is coming all the way from England and is made from actual NOS military surplus parachute parts. I just placed my order with the owner and it’s built to spec. No spoilers I’m afraid...not my style :lol:

View attachment 1503409

Also it’s hard to tell by my photo but this better emphasizes the green in American Grey (AGX) which help enhance greens & yellows

View attachment 1503412

Steveo straps? Great stuff

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I said it once I’ve said it a thousand times; posting a picture of a flask without a spirit is almost sacrilegious. To make up for these sins, I give you my Barrel Proofs of my collection with my Filson x Stanley Flask stealing the spotlight

View attachment 1503468
Nice collection. That Rare Breed has become my daily drinker...

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, it’s not this. I’ve found something even better looking (personally speaking) and also has a bit more of a rich history in aviation. The band is coming all the way from England and is made from actual NOS military surplus parachute parts. I just placed my order with the owner and it’s built to spec. No spoilers I’m afraid...not my style :lol:

View attachment 1503409
When you get ready to upgrade I would highly suggest the IWC Pilot (Mark XVII is a particularly fetching reference) or the Breitling Navitimer.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you get ready to upgrade I would highly suggest the IWC Pilot (Mark XVII is a particularly fetching reference) or the Breitling Navitimer.

Wow, both are very nice. I always was more of a Breitling man (in my dreams). The bands of those watches are probably twice as expensive as the watch I am looking at. I don't think I could ever drop that kind of coin on a timepiece, but more power to those that can. If I had the funds though I would probably invest it towards one of these first...another bucket list item.

KTM 1290 Super Adventure R

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy do I have something to share with the group. Call it a bucket list item, it’s been on my radar for years and I finally decided it was high time to change that and fire the missile. Can I provide anymore pilot references here? I’m positive that several of you have heard of this company and maybe even a few have seen these proudly worn on the big screen.

It’s Randolph Engineering which has had the military contract with the US Army, US Navy & US Air Force since 1977. They’ve supplied well in the hundreds of thousands to pilots and military personnel. I am neither, but I am an aviation enthusiast and have been for most of my life. I have a new watch reveal upcoming that will certainly pair well with this.

View attachment 1503218

I don’t even want to say what I paid for these (prescription glasses). But the frames are 23K Gold and the lenses are AGX Green, a classic Naval Aviator look. The temples are called “Bayonets” which were designed to fit under pilots headsets without breaking the noise barrier. I intend on wearing these for decades to come. Excited to see how the 23K gold patina’s.

Several notable wearers. Most noteworthy was Jon Hamm’s portrayal of Don Draper in Mad Men. His size is the same as mine (52mm) and also 23K Gold

View attachment 1503229

Robert De Niro’s emphatic (or psychotic) character in Taxi Driver

View attachment 1503231

Robert Redford in Spy Game...and many many more.

View attachment 1503234

Family owned and operated in Randolph Massachusetts

Nice. I’ve had a pair for at least a decade and love them. Very hard wearing, look classic, very comfortable to wear. And not just another pair of Raybans or whatever.

if aviation is your thing check out Trent Palmer on YouTube. He and bunch of guys (including the incredible Mike Patey also with his own channel) are into STOL racing, bush planes and remote locations. Cool stuff.

I too have a bucket list item coming up. Just waiting for the right opportunity to take a photo worth sharing. Not Filson but definitely Americana with a long history.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. I’ve had a pair for at least a decade and love them. Very hard wearing, look classic, very comfortable to wear. And not just another pair of Raybans or whatever.

if aviation is your thing check out Trent Palmer on YouTube. He and bunch of guys (including the incredible Mike Patey also with his own channel) are into STOL racing, bush planes and remote locations. Cool stuff.

I too have a bucket list item coming up. Just waiting for the right opportunity to take a photo worth sharing. Not Filson but definitely Americana with a long history.
Sounds like Red Wing ... or Wolverine . . . or maybe a case of Budweiser?

nevadabob

Reaction score
Ok. So had this baby for about a week. My kids have gotten excited to use it when gofts come in for Mama.

But does anyone know an effective way to clean machining grease from a knife? I mentioned it in my earlier post but it's still got grease/lube leaking from every pore. I know the moving parts need some protection but this is crazy.

It's a perfect knife for what I bought it to do - break down boxes for recycling and cutting packaging tape but it is way too loaded with lube. Even with that, though, I really recommend this baby. Fun little USA made piece that will last as long as it will and won't cause depression when dunfur.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. So had this baby for about a week. My kids have gotten excited to use it when gofts come in for Mama.

But does anyone know an effective way to clean machining grease from a knife? I mentioned it in my earlier post but it's still got grease/lube leaking from every pore. I know the moving parts need some protection but this is crazy.

It's a perfect knife for what I bought it to do - break down boxes for recycling and cutting packaging tape but it is way too loaded with lube. Even with that, though, I really recommend this baby. Fun little USA made piece that will last as long as it will and won't cause depression when dunfur.
I would just keep wiping it away. Eventually the excess will work through. Otherwise you will have to disassemble. If you have break cleaner handy, it’s a great degreaser.

duckmaster

Reaction score
You may have to go scorched earth on it. Buy an aerosol can of carb cleaner or gun scrubber.

Try spraying the cleaner on a cloth and wiping your knife clean first. If you spray your knife down it will strip every bit of oil or grease off any metal surface even in the pivot where it needs lucubration. If you feel this is necessary be sure to apply a few drops of oil along the spring bar and in the pivot. Also If there is any discoloration on the brass from the carb cleaner Brasso should clear that up. After cleaning apply a light coat of a gun or 3 in 1 oil all over because all knives need a little oil for protection.

RuffyD

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place to ask, has anyone seen any Filson small duffles on sale? Looking for a tan one

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might As Well Have The Best....Ganja? :cool:

filson 1.PNG

That's a new one for me.
filson 2.PNG

nevadabob

Reaction score
I don't know what ganja is but those rolling papers are old! They were pre-pandemic freebies given out at stores. I have some and a set of matches. That guy set to make a killing of they sell!

I wouldn't trust a twill prophylactic these days. I think that new 18oz cloth would have too high a failure rate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads