• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

seven20

Reaction score
My latest purchases came yesterday and I thought I'd share a couple of photos. Either of these would make excellent Christmas gifts! There's the small brass lockback knife and the Filson and Brant bottle opener.

View attachment 1501205

It's funny...I knew that the knife was small. It said something about a 2'' or so blade, but for some reason I was shocked at how small the bottle opener is. I guess I didn't read the sizing of it.

View attachment 1501206

The knife is great. It seems well-made and has good heft for its size. It did, however, come absolutely loaded in machine oil and even after a couple of wipes was still oozing some from the interior bits. It is only marked with Filson and USA - I have no idea who produced this knife but it will fit excellently in a change pocket.

View attachment 1501207

The bottle opener is a real conversation piece. I am very verry happy with it for only $18. It doesn't come sharpened (which would have been but, but...I understand), and the braided wire keeper is a nice touch. Despite their miniature sizes, neigther of these pieces feel like they will ever wear out or break.

View attachment 1501208

Below is a photo of my every-day (ok let's be honest - couple-of-times-every-day) bottle opener I've had for probably ten years. My brother got it for me for Christmas one year. It's made by Craftsman and has opened every bottle with ease. Haven't had a chance to test out the Filson one yet - I can tell it won't have the same leverage - but I may keep it hanging from my BBQ apron for those times when I just can't be troubled to walk back inside to fetch the Craftsman.

View attachment 1501209
I have this same craftsman bottle opener! I got it when I was 21 from my mom

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy do I have something to share with the group. Call it a bucket list item, it’s been on my radar for years and I finally decided it was high time to change that and fire the missile. Can I provide anymore pilot references here? I’m positive that several of you have heard of this company and maybe even a few have seen these proudly worn on the big screen.

It’s Randolph Engineering which has had the military contract with the US Army, US Navy & US Air Force since 1977. They’ve supplied well in the hundreds of thousands to pilots and military personnel. I am neither, but I am an aviation enthusiast and have been for most of my life. I have a new watch reveal upcoming that will certainly pair well with this.

29D9CFA2-1AB5-486C-8424-E9F465E5142A.jpeg

I don’t even want to say what I paid for these (prescription glasses). But the frames are 23K Gold and the lenses are AGX Green, a classic Naval Aviator look. The temples are called “Bayonets” which were designed to fit under pilots headsets without breaking the noise barrier. I intend on wearing these for decades to come. Excited to see how the 23K gold patina’s.

Several notable wearers. Most noteworthy was Jon Hamm’s portrayal of Don Draper in Mad Men. His size is the same as mine (52mm) and also 23K Gold

E2436E61-3D2F-4441-BFBF-070F45586FC5.jpeg

Robert De Niro’s emphatic (or psychotic) character in Taxi Driver

16BDBAF1-CF66-4E2D-87B9-9437A261A963.jpeg

Robert Redford in Spy Game...and many many more.

D3A58A79-58C4-4478-A65E-58CC71BF2BBB.jpeg

Family owned and operated in Randolph Massachusetts

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I have this same craftsman bottle opener! I got it when I was 21 from my mom
I’ve got one too. I gave one to my brother as a gift once too. My axe head bottle openers are on the way.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Boy do I have something to share with the group. Call it a bucket list item, it’s been on my radar for years and I finally decided it was high time to change that and fire the missile. Can I provide anymore pilot references here? I’m positive that several of you have heard of this company and maybe even a few have seen these proudly worn on the big screen.

It’s Randolph Engineering which has had the military contract with the US Army, US Navy & US Air Force since 1977. They’ve supplied well high in hundreds of thousands to pilots and military personnel. I am neither, but I am an aviation enthusiast and have been for most of my life. I have a new watch reveal upcoming that will certainly pair well with this.

View attachment 1503218

I don’t even want to say what I paid for these (prescription glasses). But the frames are 23K Gold and the lenses are AGX Green, a classic Naval Aviator look. The temples are called “Bayonets” which was designed to fit under pilots headsets without breaking the noise barrier. I intend on wearing these for decades to come. Excited to see how the 23K gold patina’s.

Several notable wearers. Most noteworthy was Jon Hamm’s portrayal of Don Draper in Mad Men. His size is the same as mine (52mm) and also 23K Gold

View attachment 1503229

View attachment 1503231

View attachment 1503234

Cool!! I learned something today. I look forward to seeing them.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool!! I learned something today. I look forward to seeing them.

Thanks! You just did :fonz: that first photo are it. That’s my custom Midori Travel Journal underneath.They took almost a month to make after I ordered them, a very painfully impatient waiting period for me after dropping that kind of dough, as they were out of network everywhere I searched.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Thanks! You just did :fonz: that first photo are it. That’s my custom Midori Travel Journal underneath.They took almost a month to make after I ordered them, a very painfully impatient waiting period for me after dropping that kind of dough, as they were out of network everywhere I searched.

they are very nice, OMG. VERY nice.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
We were talking about these flasks a while back, well theyare having one of their sales right now...

I wanted a Roosevelt flask to “complete” my collection. But, I like the older, mire crinkled looking finish (light hammer marks) compared to the current heavy hammer marks. The lighter, crinkled version can be seen near the bottom of the product page.

Regardless, they make neat stuff. I never really got it until we talked about it here. My eyes were opened and I’m using mine in a decorative capacity at the moment. Surely, function will follow.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new watch reveal upcoming that will certainly pair well with this.

BTW, it’s not this. I’ve found something even better looking (personally speaking) and also has a bit more of a rich history in aviation. The band is coming all the way from England and is made from actual NOS military surplus parachute parts. I just placed my order with the owner and it’s built to spec. No spoilers I’m afraid...not my style :lol:

D0A75BC6-C31A-412C-BDE2-928B7A59C3F4.jpeg

Also it’s hard to tell by my photo but this better emphasizes the green in American Grey (AGX) which help enhance greens & yellows

C39FE8D5-AF52-486A-AE99-2968E8B4D4FE.jpeg

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
BTW, it’s not this. I’ve found something even better looking (personally speaking) and also has a bit more of a rich history in aviation. The band is coming all the way from England and is made from actual NOS military surplus parachute parts. I just placed my order with the owner and it’s built to spec. No spoilers I’m afraid...not my style :lol:

View attachment 1503409

Also it’s hard to tell by my photo but this better emphasizes the green in American Grey (AGX) which help enhance greens & yellows

View attachment 1503412
Dude, you need a pilot license. (wink)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted a Roosevelt flask to “complete” my collection. But, I like the older, mire crinkled looking finish (light hammer marks) compared to the current heavy hammer marks. The lighter, crinkled version can be seen near the bottom of the product page.

Regardless, they make neat stuff. I never really got it until we talked about it here. My eyes were opened and I’m using mine in a decorative capacity at the moment. Surely, function will follow.
I have the Bromwell flask from STP. Really great. Bought my son one for his 22nd birthday. Shot of his brand new one and mine with a little patina.

Attachments

• 42ADF928-C726-4E9F-B7B9-F13B2BE4CBA4.jpeg
    42ADF928-C726-4E9F-B7B9-F13B2BE4CBA4.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 113

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It’s Randolph Engineering which has had the military contract with the US Army, US Navy & US Air Force since 1977. They’ve supplied well in the hundreds of thousands to pilots and military personnel. I am neither, but I am an aviation enthusiast and have been for most of my life. I have a new watch reveal upcoming that will certainly pair well with this.

View attachment 1503218

I don’t even want to say what I paid for these (prescription glasses). But the frames are 23K Gold and the lenses are AGX Green, a classic Naval Aviator look. The temples are called “Bayonets” which were designed to fit under pilots headsets without breaking the noise barrier. I intend on wearing these for decades to come. Excited to see how the 23K gold patina’s.

View attachment 1503229

View attachment 1503231

View attachment 1503234

Have about 6 pair of Randolphs, won't wear any other sunglasses since I found them. So if any of you guys want a few doze pair of Maui Jims......

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Have about 6 pair of Randolphs, won't wear any other sunglasses since I found them. So if any of you guys want a few doze pair of Maui Jims......

I love my one pair of Maui Jims. They fit me perfectly and really do their job well. Hmmm. I guess I should find them and put them back into use now that I listen to myself. Noted.

These Randolphs I will have to consider. You gents have got me thinking.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I have the Bromwell flask from STP. Really great. Bought my son one for his 22nd birthday. Shot of his brand new one and mine with a little patina.

Great photo and commentary. I love how your’s looks. I haven’t pressed mine into use. You have. Either I need to step up my game or you need to slow yours. I’m guessing this one is my issue. Noted again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads