• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I am a big fan of the classic tan in both twill and tin. Love the way it wears and shows age. Recently picked up a tan tin cloth jacket and it is now my primary work coat. Some folks seem to like the unworn blue jeans with cuffs showing and work boots and others go for the duck hunter look...haha I guess I am more in the duck hunter category even though I have never hunted anything. But I have always loved real patina from working (or playing) outside and I have found the classic filson tan perfect for that.
I agree with this 100%. Nothing looks cooler than a well patina’d tan tin cloth jacket. I’ve always been a tan supporter for both tin cloth and twill as it is the original and the most classic Filson color that outsells the other colors by a long shot. I also love how it takes on an almost leather look with enough coats of wax on it. I have yet to achieve that but there are plenty on here that have.

Samgoody

Reaction score
Great points.

Yeah, I was originally thinking about luggage only, and wondering whether most people's Tin Cloth luggage color preferences (Navy > Green > Tan) is the opposite of most people's Rugged Twill color preferences (Tan > Green > Navy).

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I quite like my black tin

D0845158-E157-408F-9D48-1DC4E04A8368.jpeg

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but received my first Filson apparel tonight. A cobalt Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser. Unfortunately, it’s a touch short for me and not my favorite pattern, but I’m excited to repair it and use it for another generation.

Thoughts on having it cleaned and removing a stain? Don’t know much about cleaning wool but don’t want to risk wrecking it!
Welcome. Double Mack’s are great things. I would say that if you aren’t sure about the size or the colour it’s worth being patient for the right one. I had a double that had shrunk a bit and just wasn’t “right”. A bit short, a bit restrictive.

Cleaning - a little dish soap and cold water and air dry for spot stains. Whatever you do don’t warm or hot wash / dry.

Repair - depends on how bad. Options: contact Filson and enquire. Take to a local tailor or haberdasher. For really small things like holes do it yourself.

Good luck with it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was originally thinking about luggage only, and wondering whether most people's Tin Cloth luggage color preferences

Don’t worry I knew what you meant. As mentioned above Tin Cloth luggage patinas different then the Tin Cloth Garments Filson has used for as long as they have, so I personally wouldn’t advocate comparing them in the same sentiments. I don’t think they’re identical in wearing patterns, especially considering most of the Tin Cloth luggage are more akin to business travel or leisure then outdoor work or hunting. YMMV

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome. Double Mack’s are great things. I would say that if you aren’t sure about the size or the colour it’s worth being patient for the right one. I had a double that had shrunk a bit and just wasn’t “right”. A bit short, a bit restrictive.

Cleaning - a little dish soap and cold water and air dry for spot stains. Whatever you do don’t warm or hot wash / dry.

Repair - depends on how bad. Options: contact Filson and enquire. Take to a local tailor or haberdasher. For really small things like holes do it yourself.

Good luck with it.

thanks for the advice! I’ll give that a try. Hoping Filson can help me out with repairs.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry I knew what you meant. As mentioned above Tin Cloth luggage patinas different then the Tin Cloth Garments Filson has used for as long as they have, so I personally wouldn’t advocate comparing them in the same sentiments. I don’t think they’re identical in wearing patterns, especially considering most of the Tin Cloth luggage are more akin to business travel or leisure then outdoor work or hunting. YMMV
Why do you think tin cloth luggage isn’t as akin to the outdoors/hunting? While it is true that tin cloth was first used on pants and jackets, it has been used on bags going back to the tin cloth large buckle field bag that was definitely design for the field. The Excursion bag is made specifically for outdoor use with a separate compartment for dirty boots and shoes and it is tin cloth entirely. The large tin cloth tote is an excellent all purpose bag that can be used for sporting gear and all kinds of other outdoor gear.

I think each has their own unique uses as tin cloth is much lighter and more obviously waxy while twill has a more heavy dry feel, but neither seem to me that they would cater better to the business vs outdoor crowd so just curious what your original thoughts were.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The large tin cloth tote is an excellent all purpose bag that can be used for sporting gear and all kinds of other outdoor gear.

There’s a lot of things that “can be” used for different hobbies and professions, only price and better available options play a factor in that. True the Excursion Bag was created for outdoor use, but it’s not very common, in fact (if memory serves me), it was discontinued rather quickly because the consumer base just wasn’t buying it when the 22oz Twill Outfitter Bags served that purpose much better.

Besides this guy, I have not seen many examples of Tin Cloth luggage being used out in the field

EB065B92-3734-44EB-BB4B-6C8850A47CC0.jpeg

The average (the bulk of users) and most popular Tin Cloth luggage pieces are either the 24HR Briefcase or the 48HR Duffel. Those are predominantly used for leisure or business carry. Sure you have bags like The Journeyman or the Heritage Sportsman, which use both Tin Cloth & Twill, but it’s not very common seeing either outside a car, airport or city environment. That’s why I ended it with YMMV, because it’s the exception not the rule. I’m not saying it can’t be done, hasn’t been done, and certainly not shouldn’t be done. Again, when you have much better options such as a #266 (or w/e # Filson now uses), why would you opt for the less capable Heritage, especially considering it holds considerably less (one dimensional surrounding pockets). However we definitely have at least one member here who uses the Heritage for camping I believe.

The reason for me commenting multiple times was to reiterate the point of the question and because I thought the goalposts were being moved to incorporate Tin Cloth Garments. There’s no defense on that, as most Tin Cloth items are Tan and wear differently because they are different, considering a garment item is not a luggage piece. That’s all I was saying.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but received my first Filson apparel tonight. A cobalt Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser. Unfortunately, it’s a touch short for me and not my favorite pattern, but I’m excited to repair it and use it for another generation.

Thoughts on having it cleaned and removing a stain? Don’t know much about cleaning wool but don’t want to risk wrecking it!

Without the Build Tag I am unable to lock down an era or year in which this was manufactured. The all stainless colored snaps are certainly it’s best clue though. I have seen many Double Mack’s use a combination of Black and Stainless in my searches. The Logo Tag is pretty much too general for my knowledge, because it was used between several decades or so.

@old.timers.closet is your best bet to truly locking down a good build date estimation

Reaction score
Without the Build Tag I am unable to lock down an era or year in which this was manufactured. The all stainless colored snaps are certainly it’s best clue though. I have seen many Double Mack’s use a combination of Black and Stainless in my searches. The Logo Tag is pretty much too general for my knowledge, because it was used between several decades or so.

@old.timers.closet is your best bet to truly locking down a good build date estimation

thanks for weighing in! It definitely is missing some more definitive markings.I emailed Old Timers Closet and they were super helpful. They thought is was postUnion/pre Woolmark, and probably a 70s/80s. That lines up with who I received it from as well.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really sure what the point is of this "bag", I guess you could call it. It's basically like an extra pocket with organization. Definitely an interesting design and love the build tag location on the back, but imagine that the leather restricts anything of real depth that you want to fit.

Extra Pocket.PNG

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really sure what the point is of this "bag", I guess you could call it. It's basically like an extra pocket with organization. Definitely an interesting design and love the build tag location on the back, but imagine that the leather restricts anything of real depth that you want to fit.

View attachment 1486908
When you get married, part of the ritual is the removal of the testes. Those are then given to your partner as the ultimate symbol of the end of your life. Sometimes, your partner likes to keep them handy as an extra reminder. Hence this convenient testicle tote.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you get married, part of the ritual is the removal of the testes. Those are then given to your partner as the ultimate symbol of the end of your life. Sometimes, your partner likes to keep them handy as an extra reminder. Hence this convenient testicle tote.

I wouldn’t know anything about that, still flying solo. That’s a pretty tight fit BTW, I think the Small Field Bag would suit that task much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads