• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

singjai

Reaction score
Congratulations on that incredibly rare find. My old Journeyman (riveted) was built on 1113, so yours is considerably older. I’m not positive but it just might be the oldest Navy here.

Where did you find that?
For some reason I thought these were introduced post 2015 lol.

I found it online. The seller said it was unused but the tin cloth looked a little faded so not sure he was being truthful... Aside from that it looks great.

Samgoody

Reaction score
So what is the consensus on which colors patina the best in Tin Cloth, like on a 24 Hour Briefcase? Does it go Navy, Otter Green, and Tan last? It seems like it might be the opposite order of Rugged Twill.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is the consensus on which colors patina the best in Tin Cloth, like on a 24 Hour Briefcase? Does it go Navy, Otter Green, and Tan last? It seems like it might be the opposite order of Rugged Twill.

I already posted my thoughts on previous page. IMO Navy Patina’s the best without giving off the dirty look that I’ve seen Tan & Otter Green do. I had an OG 24HR & a Navy Journeyman and prefer the Navy, since it patina’s similar to raw denim. However if I had to pick between Tan & Otter Green, I’d choose the latter

linablair

Reaction score
Got me a Journeyman! Really like the navy twill, would've been a much better bag had they done away with the tin cloth. Looks much nicer and darker in person, especially after adding a coat of wax.

Built 12/12 - had no idea these have been in production for so long. Thought these were a fairly new.

View attachment 1485198 View attachment 1485199
The fresh wax looks great. Might have to do that myself!

CCF1897

Reaction score
It comes down to preference and what "BEST" means to you. If you like the hard worn look go with tan, if you like the fade go with OG and if you like white on blue go with Navy. My wife has used a Navy tote everyday for three years and I can't tell it's been used (leather excluded), not a bad thing and I'm not sure she would want it to look beat up. I wear tin chaps in the woods on a half day hunt and they look like i've had them for a decade. My tin hunting coat would be nasty to some, every mark, blood stain, dirt stain etc tells a story of where I've been in it and I love it.

CCF1897

Reaction score
I forgot to get a photo of gear from my North Dakota trip. The large Mossy Oak zip tote has been getting a lot of use. The one piece I have taken on almost every journey.
Yes, I love that thing. It has many functions and is almost always in use even if it’s just housing training bumpers. This last trip it was my day bag since the weather was so all over the place I needed to carry more gear than I typically would when leaving the lodge.

nevadabob

Reaction score
There are some pretty good deals right now on The Sierra Trading Post website.
69BE7ACD-B6F9-46B9-BD7A-5F1D6DC7B243.png

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but received my first Filson apparel tonight. A cobalt Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser. Unfortunately, it’s a touch short for me and not my favorite pattern, but I’m excited to repair it and use it for another generation.

Thoughts on having it cleaned and removing a stain? Don’t know much about cleaning wool but don’t want to risk wrecking it!

Attachments

• 4E406EE9-08B8-44A4-BD1C-7033358CBB30.jpeg
    4E406EE9-08B8-44A4-BD1C-7033358CBB30.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 21
  • CB60A46C-9E1D-4ECB-ABB9-D762D7DB068C.jpeg
    CB60A46C-9E1D-4ECB-ABB9-D762D7DB068C.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1C9E235E-CCEE-405B-ACC8-0ED1001D8045.jpeg
    1C9E235E-CCEE-405B-ACC8-0ED1001D8045.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 20
  • ACD46B5B-ACE5-4BA1-A60F-F3414E82E008.jpeg
    ACD46B5B-ACE5-4BA1-A60F-F3414E82E008.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 527BE849-31FC-4485-B718-5FA335F3330A.jpeg
    527BE849-31FC-4485-B718-5FA335F3330A.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

hilltop1

Reaction score
It comes down to preference and what "BEST" means to you. If you like the hard worn look go with tan, if you like the fade go with OG and if you like white on blue go with Navy. My wife has used a Navy tote everyday for three years and I can't tell it's been used (leather excluded), not a bad thing and I'm not sure she would want it to look beat up. I wear tin chaps in the woods on a half day hunt and they look like i've had them for a decade. My tin hunting coat would be nasty to some, every mark, blood stain, dirt stain etc tells a story of where I've been in it and I love it.

Hey I am a big fan of the classic tan in both twill and tin. Love the way it wears and shows age. Recently picked up a tan tin cloth jacket and it is now my primary work coat. Some folks seem to like the unworn blue jeans with cuffs showing and work boots and others go for the duck hunter look...haha I guess I am more in the duck hunter category even though I have never hunted anything. But I have always loved real patina from working (or playing) outside and I have found the classic filson tan perfect for that.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I am a big fan of the classic tan in both twill and tin. Love the way it wears and shows age. Recently picked up a tan tin cloth jacket and it is now my primary work coat. Some folks seem to like the unworn blue jeans with cuffs showing and work boots and others go for the duck hunter look...haha I guess I am more in the duck hunter category even though I have never hunted anything. But I have always loved real patina from working (or playing) outside and I have found the classic filson tan perfect for that.

So what is the consensus on which colors patina the best in Tin Cloth, like on a 24 Hour Briefcase?

I’m pretty sure that the intention of the question was centered around luggage, since the 24HR was mentioned and not clothing. Especially considering many Tin Cloth Garments are only offered in classic Tan, and will patina differently since they are used differently, for the most part. I know for one thing I prefer that look over anything else available. When it comes to Filson garments, Tin Cloth is usually compared against Mackinaw Wool.

Last edited:

nevadabob

Reaction score
How did it turn out? I smoked my first one a couple months ago and did not turn out like I hoped!

It was probably my fifth or sixth try. It went to 198 degrees in about 7 hours, then hung out there in that range for another five hours. I pulled it when one probe was at 201 and another at 204. We haven't cut into the point yet, but the flat was very good - all except under the point was a little tough like it didn't get quite to the right temp. Anyway, always fun!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads