• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I stand corrected! I'm sorry for doubting you, nevadabob.

I like this older version better. It's much more stylish. I have no use for a $125 tool roll though.

Really? Of all the bags I've got and this is where I decide to draw the line? At the moment, yes. I reserve the right to change my mind like the weather when it comes to Filson bags and products though. So, ...yeah. (shoulder shrug)

Thanks guys. It wasn't nearly the mystery I thought it was. Better luck next time, I guess.

linablair

Reaction score
I'm loving the navy Journeyman! Since mid-July, our college campus has been open with very limited faculty, staff and students on campus. I'm one of those on campus several times a week, so I've had lots of opportunity to carry the Journeyman. The organization, which is so limited in other Filson bags is great and it's very comfortable to carry! I would agree that the patina on the navy is similar to raw denim. I've got some other tin cloth items that are OG and definitely prefer the navy.

IMG_2109.jpg

Maybe this will help you, maybe it won't, but as far as from a patina standpoint I would side with Navy over Otter Green. Sure 22 oz pure Rugged Twill Tan & Otter Green patina better, but Tin Cloth is a different animal and I have yet to see a good example Journeyman in Tan or Otter Green patina in a way I liked.

Case in point. The Otter Green Tin Cloth just looks dirty to me (like Tan does)

View attachment 1481833

Navy Tin Cloth (and Rugged Twill) patina in a way I can only describe as "raw denim like". There is a white marking similar to the weft of a nice pair of patinaed raw denim

View attachment 1481841

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm loving the navy Journeyman! Since mid-July, our college campus has been open with very limited faculty, staff and students on campus. I'm one of those on campus several times a week, so I've had lots of opportunity to carry the Journeyman. The organization, which is so limited in other Filson bags is great and it's very comfortable to carry! I would agree that the patina on the navy is similar to raw denim. I've got some other tin cloth items that are OG and definitely prefer the navy.

View attachment 1482909

She’s looking great Lina, glad you are getting some use out of it, more I can say about my Filson’s. Although today I am using my 1994 Built #260 Open Tote to carry my stuff for my biweekly cigar overnight trip.

Some more patina since I last saw it. What’s the significance of that blue pin?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to post this sooner but I wanted to share one thing several of my Filson’s over the years have shared in common.

0E2995FD-68B5-4B65-8966-9524BC5977E8.jpeg

BF05EEE5-54E5-4E60-A0AC-9E984557C6C7.jpeg

C1EBAD5C-8310-41E2-ACB7-661F576AA8EC.jpeg

seven20

Reaction score
Any of you guys looking to purchase a like new 70258? I acquired one with the idea that I would use it when going back to the office. Love the bag, and the size. Only problem is my job has moved me to full time remote meaning I won't have a lot of reason to keep an additional briefcase.

Figured I would offer it to you guys before I put it on the auction site.

Edit: It's tan....and I’ll make someone a deal to not have to hassle with eBay and their fees/taxes

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1482909
Loving looking at your books in the background. The yellow spined one at left “increasing persistence” seems very apt for both a Filson bag, as well as the current times we find ourselves in!
Bag looks great and interesting you find it wears like denim - is that the tin or twill or both that’s doing that?

NamelessStream

Reaction score
Love these photos @TinMan3! I’ve got to stop looking at the work vests. Too tempting.
We don’t go in for doggy-bags on this side of the pond but I’m 100% certain that the dog in your 260 isn’t the interpretation we we were looking for :).
Pity no redwings this year, but perhaps a blessing in disguise? My closet is pretty full. I have enough for 1 pair for each day of the week and then 4 possible dress boots for Sundays...

Meanwhile, what we call half term here - a break in the fall semester. Out with the kids ( possibly before we all get locked down again). Someone was praising Mack cruisers - I’m firmly in that camp. Did CC Filson ever imagine this kind of “horse” in the woods?

View attachment 1480482
That is awesome.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same strap used for all of them?

Good guess. Certainly wasn’t them being all Otter Green with the #264. Since I don’t have a new car yet, I am still patiently waiting for a good Otter Green #248 LTB to appear. Then I’ll have equally the same Tan vs Otter Green

Last edited:
Reactions: WJR

linablair

Reaction score
Loving looking at your books in the background. The yellow spined one at left “increasing persistence” seems very apt for both a Filson bag, as well as the current times we find ourselves in!
Bag looks great and interesting you find it wears like denim - is that the tin or twill or both that’s doing that?

I'd agree - it's been great to put the journeyman to use. Speedy - the tin is what is wearing differently and picking up patina more quickly. I would agree about the book title!

OMG - the pin is a Keith Haring. :)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is that the tin or twill or both that’s doing that?

I'd say both. I've mentioned on here in the past that Navy patina's in a way similar to Raw Denim, specifically the white markings that mimic the weft. Below is a secondhand #70256 I found on poshmark

weft.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
Got me a Journeyman! Really like the navy twill, would've been a much better bag had they done away with the tin cloth. Looks much nicer and darker in person, especially after adding a coat of wax.

Built 12/12 - had no idea these have been in production for so long. Thought these were a fairly new.

IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_1973.JPG

Last edited:

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Got me a Journeyman! Really like the navy twill, would've been a much better bag had they done away with the tin cloth. Looks much nicer and darker in person, especially after adding a coat of wax.

Built 12/12 - had no idea these have been in production for so long. Thought these were a fairly new.

View attachment 1485198 View attachment 1485199
You got yourself a first edition.

You’re the third in here with a navy

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1485198 View attachment 1485199

Congratulations on that incredibly rare find. My old Journeyman (riveted) was built on 1113, so yours is considerably older. I’m not positive but it just might be the oldest Navy here.

Where did you find that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads