• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

singjai

Reaction score
Anyone have any comparison shots of the Navy vs OG Journeyman? Been looking for one and ended up purchasing a navy one which was my second choice.

Probably won't arrive for a few days but curious on your guys' thoughts on the two colors. The navy is a good addition since I don't have that color but can't help to think OG being more versatile?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any comparison shots of the Navy vs OG Journeyman? Been looking for one and ended up purchasing a navy one which was my second choice.

Probably won't arrive for a few days but curious on your guys' thoughts on the two colors. The navy is a good addition since I don't have that color but can't help to think OG being more versatile?

Maybe this will help you, maybe it won't, but as far as from a patina standpoint I would side with Navy over Otter Green. Sure 22 oz pure Rugged Twill Tan & Otter Green patina better, but Tin Cloth is a different animal and I have yet to see a good example Journeyman in Tan or Otter Green patina in a way I liked.

Case in point. The Otter Green Tin Cloth just looks dirty to me (like Tan does)

og journeyman.jpg

Navy Tin Cloth (and Rugged Twill) patina in a way I can only describe as "raw denim like". There is a white marking similar to the weft of a nice pair of patinaed raw denim

9A6CE40E-CB9A-43C5-8719-F7F8F386D5E0.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
Maybe this will help you, maybe it won't, but as far as from a patina standpoint I would side with Navy over Otter Green. Sure 22 oz pure Rugged Twill Tan & Otter Green patina better, but Tin Cloth is a different animal and I have yet to see a good example Journeyman in Tan or Otter Green patina in a way I liked.

Case in point. The Otter Green Tin Cloth just looks dirty to me (like Tan does)

View attachment 1481833

Navy Tin Cloth (and Rugged Twill) patina in a way I can only describe as "raw denim like". There is a white marking similar to the weft of a nice pair of patinaed raw denim

View attachment 1481841
Thanks, this is helpful. Looks like the tin cloth OG lightens up quite a bit. I’ll try to hunt down some pics of navy after some heavy usage. Although doesn’t matter much since I’ve already bought it!

also, were all the navy ones made with Mostly twill while the other colors were tin cloth?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, this is helpful. Looks like the tin cloth OG lightens up quite a bit. I’ll try to hunt down some pics of navy after some heavy usage. Although doesn’t matter much since I’ve already bought it!

also, were all the navy ones made with Mostly twill while the other colors were tin cloth?

The Navy I had was a first edition. The tin cloth was on the storm flap and the front pocket. We have already established, through other members, that Tan was not part of the First Edition releases. IIRC only Otter Green, Navy, and Black were part of the official debut. I honestly can't find a Navy with more patina then the one I had (now owned by @linablair ). I know @Soletrane has one but he hasn't been around in awhile...hope everything is okay with him.

GzStudio

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen - Looks like someone just bought it.

Speaking of bags on eBay, anyone got thoughts on this one and whether it's legit? Looks like it has a Filson stamp on it but no other tags indicating it's a Filson..

View attachment 1480391
View attachment 1480390
View attachment 1480389

I've seen someone post a prototype bag on another group on Facebook and it was much more refined:

View attachment 1480392
View attachment 1480393
View attachment 1480394

this is not a filson bag. That is all.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
So there is a new Ford Bronco x Filson collaboration. Interesting. There are a few Filson x Bronco branded items, three to be precise: a small duffle bag, a t-shirt and a water bottle. The new items are on the Filson website. I'm not particularly interested in either the vehicle or the branded items. But, I was looking at the information available on the vehicle mashup yesterday. I found a curiosity that should be right up this thread's alley.

Look at this picture. Which Filson bag is shown to the left?

1603378825942.png

Click HERE to see the article about the 2021 Ford Bronco two-door Trail Rig concept vehicle in which this picture appears. Twill, adjustable post-latching leather strapping...oh, tell me about that!!

Let the sleuthing begin!

Reactions: WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there is a new Ford Bronco x Filson collaboration. Interesting. There are a few Filson x Bronco branded items, three to be precise: a small duffle bag, a t-shirt and a water bottle. The new items are on the Filson website. I'm not particularly interested in either the vehicle or the branded items. But, I was looking at the information available on the vehicle mashup yesterday. I found a curiosity that should be right up this thread's alley.

Look at this picture. Which Filson bag is shown to the left?

View attachment 1482160

Click HERE to see the article about the 2021 Ford Bronco two-door Trail Rig concept vehicle in which this picture appears. Twill, adjustable post-latching leather strapping...oh, tell me about that!!

Let the sleuthing begin!

I had not known about this collaboration until I saw your post, so thanks for sharing. Wow! I'm shocked that Ford is also going after Jeep's collaboration deal with Filson, of all brand manufacturer's to do a collaboration with. This isn't the first time Ford has done a collaboration either, as they have worked closely with Eddie Bauer in the past. Then again Ford is taking a huge shot at Jeep's customer base with the new Bronco, so maybe I'm not so shocked as I first thought

The bag I have not seen before, but it looks like a Tool Rollup of some kind. Whatever it is, it appears to be custom made for Ford in the same way Jeeps Collaboration bags were

jeep.jpg

jeep 2.jpg

Speaking of Ford x Filson, have any of you seen this yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: WJR

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward a tool roll of some kind too. That was my first thought as well. Although, unlike the "made for" bags shown in the Jeep picture you posted, the one we are talking about looks like a stand alone bag. Maybe it's something new to be released. I'll be keeping an eye out, that much is certain.

As for your link, that's what I'm talking about. I read that it will be debuted in Seattle on Friday. I expect it is tomorrow's Friday but I'm not in Seattle so I didn't pay close attention.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Yup, Filson makes a tool roll, and that's what A Jedi M sees in the photo. It's $125. Used to be $85, I think.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Yup, Filson makes a tool roll, and that's what A Jedi M sees in the photo. It's $125. Used to be $85, I think.

It is not the current Tool Roll. The current Tool Roll does not have the leather tabs on it. See? The straps are free floating.

1603382788696.png

I'm still leaning toward it being a type of tool roll. It just isn't the one currently offered. That's all I'm saying.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Specialized Filson Car tools roll?
For jack, wrench etc.

"For the low, low, low price of $595!"

Yeah. I made that up. I think it's bound to be a ridiculous price like that. Now, if they added a Mackinaw lining, that would be an entirely different story, of course.

Yes, this is my ultra sarcasm filled post for today.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
The Navy I had was a first edition. The tin cloth was on the storm flap and the front pocket. We have already established, through other members, that Tan was not part of the First Edition releases. IIRC only Otter Green, Navy, and Black were part of the official debut. I honestly can't find a Navy with more patina then the one I had (now owned by @linablair ). I know @Soletrane has one but he hasn't been around in awhile...hope everything is okay with him.

here’s mine

Attachments

• 237C1CCC-5D4A-4B27-88C5-96BE5A4E3E20.jpeg
    237C1CCC-5D4A-4B27-88C5-96BE5A4E3E20.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 38

nevadabob

Reaction score
Interesting...that's an older model. I didn't realize they'd pulled the tabs off of it. The internet machine has pictures if you enter a search into the googles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads