• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude! That fifth picture (the second one with a waterfall in it) - I can't even tell what's going on. Is there a small pool around the base of the waterfall? Are all of those leaves to the left floating in the pool? Does the waterfall only fall to that small ledge and the rest is just a reflection? Is that D.B. Cooper warming himself by a fire just to the right of those two trees?

What is that place? It's beautiful!
It’s truly gorgeous and even more so in person. It’s called Minnehaha Falls and it’s near Eagan MN which is very close to the Mall of America. If you ever have the opportunity to visit this area in the second week of October (pretty specific I know) it’s an amazing place. There are trails and streams for finishing and some of the most beautiful foliage I’ve seen. We got lucky with beautiful weather as well since unusually it’s gray and cold. It’s was sunny and fairly warm!

Reactions: WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody Pour Over coffee aficionados here? I recently got back into the hobby. It’s been about 4 years since I sold my Cafe & Coffee Roastry. I bought all the supplies a year ago and it sat in a cabinet collecting dust. Yesterday I decided to change that and took the plunge. This was the only type of coffee we served, so the muscle memory was still there. The results: an oily fruit & floral forward brew.

Pour Over: Bee House Ceramic dripper
Filters: Melitta #2 White
Server: Hario Glass V60
Kettle: Hario Buono Slow Pour
Grind: Fine
Coffee: Ethiopian Single Origin Unwashed
Served: Neat

85FD2F82-87BE-47B3-97E8-38F8563774FB.jpeg

6E3D52EB-E0A0-4540-8719-D5FD27EB21F6.jpeg

4A1837D4-61EE-4E64-BF68-82256A926121.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen a modification/repair like this before...looks painful. I guess they were out of Chicago Screws.

ouch.PNG

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
I finally tried on a Mackinaw Cruiser tonight. We were out to eat and walked into Moose Jaw, I can’t believe I’ve never tried one on, I have plenty of wool vest from filson and stormy. I get what the hype is about. Needless to say, I now have a Blue Plaid mackinaw in my collection. Salesman gave 20% off on the spot. Wife happens to like blue plaid, it was the fastest filson purchase I have ever made.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally tried on a Mackinaw Cruiser tonight. We were out to eat and walked into Moose Jaw, I can’t believe I’ve never tried one on, I have plenty of wool vest from filson and stormy. I get what the hype is about. Needless to say, I now have a Blue Plaid mackinaw in my collection. Salesman gave 20% off on the spot. Wife happens to like blue plaid, it was the fastest filson purchase I have ever made.

I had one similar built in 1994, however I didn’t like how it fit me so @GzStudio took it off my hands. It was really nice though and in great like new condition

47801B91-933A-4CB3-8C83-5559D75D6825.jpeg

F5F8EEE6-D957-411A-9F73-6A7060FCCFA7.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
You all really know how to make a guy look forward to the cold weather. Fun stuff!! Thanks for sharing.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody Pour Over coffee aficionados here? I recently got back into the hobby. It’s been about 4 years since I sold my Cafe & Coffee Roastry. I bought all the supplies a year ago and it sat in a cabinet collecting dust. Yesterday I decided to change that and took the plunge. This was the only type of coffee we served, so the muscle memory was still there. The results: an oily fruit & floral forward brew.

Pour Over: Bee House Ceramic dripper
Filters: Melitta #2 White
Server: Hario Glass V60
Kettle: Hario Buono Slow Pour
Grind: Fine
Coffee: Ethiopian Single Origin Unwashed
Served: Neat
Not a huge brewed coffee fan (prefer true Espresso) but Kyoto produces a great cup of coffee. These days though, Im happy for Cold Brew. Much less acidic and mellow flavor. Make it easier to drink gallons of it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was worried for a second as the buyer I sold my Talon Era #246 to was in Upstate NY, however, my worries were rested when I saw the Build Tag, YKK zippers, and a 2nd look at the listing title. The MTB is in excellent condition and priced pretty fairly too for a true like-new first edition

246 1.PNG

singjai

Reaction score
@OtterMeanGreen - Looks like someone just bought it.

Speaking of bags on eBay, anyone got thoughts on this one and whether it's legit? Looks like it has a Filson stamp on it but no other tags indicating it's a Filson..

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I've seen someone post a prototype bag on another group on Facebook and it was much more refined:

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

thefringthing

Reaction score
So who snagged that Filson x Harris Tweed 256 that was on eBay today? ;)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last weekend was our annual fall trip up from Chicago through Wisconsin, to Red Wing Minnesota and eventually to the Minneapolis area. The leaves and landscapes were amazing this year. It’s always sort of a fun welcome to Filson wearing season trip. It’s also fun that there is a Filson outlet and store along the way. I picked up a handful of items from the outlet store though inventory was actually somewhat sparse in comparison to previous years. My favorite find from this year is a variant on the waxed work vest. This is exactly the same as my tan tin cloth just in a waxed denim. I feel like I’m becoming a denim person sort of on accident lol. This was made specifically for the Boston store and was never marketed in the catalog or online. And yes, this version was made in the USA. ?? I’m pretty excited about this piece. I also grabbed a pretty cool piece of “functional artwork” that I’ll share later. I hope you all enjoy the photos and @speedy611 no new Red Wng’s this year. No warehouse sale and I wasn’t going to pay full price when I already have more than I can wear ?.

View attachment 1478865
View attachment 1478864
View attachment 1478863
View attachment 1478862
View attachment 1478871
View attachment 1478872
View attachment 1478873
Love these photos @TinMan3! I’ve got to stop looking at the work vests. Too tempting.
We don’t go in for doggy-bags on this side of the pond but I’m 100% certain that the dog in your 260 isn’t the interpretation we we were looking for :).
Pity no redwings this year, but perhaps a blessing in disguise? My closet is pretty full. I have enough for 1 pair for each day of the week and then 4 possible dress boots for Sundays...

Meanwhile, what we call half term here - a break in the fall semester. Out with the kids ( possibly before we all get locked down again). Someone was praising Mack cruisers - I’m firmly in that camp. Did CC Filson ever imagine this kind of “horse” in the woods?

6DA43607-BE4A-4935-851A-EAE10400B67D.jpeg

Mack, tin vest, vintage flannel. Selvedge buckleback, 877 RW. In the Mack but not needed, RW insulated gloves.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love these photos @TinMan3! I’ve got to stop looking at the work vests. Too tempting.
We don’t go in for doggy-bags on this side of the pond but I’m 100% certain that the dog in your 260 isn’t the interpretation we we were looking for :).
Pity no redwings this year, but perhaps a blessing in disguise? My closet is pretty full. I have enough for 1 pair for each day of the week and then 4 possible dress boots for Sundays...

Meanwhile, what we call half term here - a break in the fall semester. Out with the kids ( possibly before we all get locked down again). Someone was praising Mack cruisers - I’m firmly in that camp. Did CC Filson ever imagine this kind of “horse” in the woods?

View attachment 1480482

Mack, tin vest, vintage flannel. Selvedge buckleback, 877 RW. In the Mack but not needed, RW insulated gloves.
I have at least that many RWs as well, and do love all of them that fit properly, but some more than others. My iron rangers are my very favorite for both comfort and style but I love my chukkas (all 3 pairs ?).

The work vest is quickly topping my Most Worn Garment list. So versatile and convenient. I know you already have the tin cloth vest though so many be duplicative for your arsenal anyways.

I’ve had a couple of Mack Cruisers over the years and never had one “stick” if you will. I think what makes the jacket so special is the fact that it defines classic Filson materials, build quality, longevity, and style. I started off years ago before getting a Mack with the lined peacoat that has taken care of all of my Mack needs. It is though in my opinion the quintessential Filson wool coat and you photo above shows exactly why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads