• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really??? that’s a little disappointing. You’d think they’d have at least 20% for the biggest online sales event that is forthcoming next month. I’m in no rush to spend that much just yet on a wallet, especially considering I already have a really nice natural bifold from Tanner Goods. I am looking to replace it eventually, but it’s not part of my budget yet
I just checked, and I got mine for 15% off. Maybe they've run more $$, but I'd guess they can sell every natty shell wallet they make. Seemed like it was frequently out of stock.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked, and I got mine for 15% off. Maybe they've run more $$, but I'd guess they can sell every natty shell wallet they make. Seemed like it was frequently out of stock.

They’re definitely a great company that offers a real quality product. I will be excited when I finally am in the right place financially to afford one. Still currently out of work from this nonsense going on.

Is it me or is Natural Shell Cordovan a deeper shade then Natural CXL? Could be just a trick or the light.

Natural Shell:

0D10A771-93D2-47F7-BB95-4C615714C0E5.jpeg

Natural CXL: (another future item on my list)

360481A0-1609-4E37-B353-78EC4EC4B371.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They’re definitely a great company that offers a real quality product. I will be excited when I finally am in the right place financially to afford one. Still currently out of work from this nonsense going on.

Is it me or is Natural Shell Cordovan a deeper shade then Natural CXL? Could be just a trick or the light.

Natural Shell:
View attachment 1473288

Natural CXL: (another future item on my list)
View attachment 1473290

They're really different. I have their passport cover in natty CXL, which is based on the Fat Herbie design - unfortunately it doesn't have as much carry-time as my wallet, though it has seen a lot of travel and some long days. CXL is thicker and has an oilier feel (but isn't leaving oil on your clothes/hands like a chamois or some other leathers can) and is somewhat less matte at the start. "Real" natty shell (un-dyed and un-polished) will be very matte and is thinner. Over time, shell gets polished by your pocket and has a deeper gloss than CXL typically will. Shell has a more complex patina. The density and strength of shell is manifest when you hold it, but I wouldn't say CXL is weak. There's also a lot more variation in natty CXL. My understanding is that Horween has had some trouble lately with the color variation on natty CXL - Alden has apparently pushed the "pause" button with on natty CXL for a while - so you see everything from fairly tan (like your Indys) to more olive tones (like my passport holder - will try to post a pic tomorrow). Natty shell tends to start very tan, but takes on a reddish/brown tone over time.

Horween's Dublin leather is awfully cool option too - tanned with the same formula ash shell but clearly still a cow-leather. I've seen some cool variations from Ashland using reverse shell, which I think is really cool. This #8 all-reverse might have been my choice if it had been available at the time... (and it's currently the same $$ I paid for mine)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're really different. I have their passport cover in natty CXL, which is based on the Fat Herbie design - unfortunately it doesn't have as much carry-time as my wallet, though it has seen a lot of travel and some long days. CXL is thicker and has an oilier feel (but isn't leaving oil on your clothes/hands like a chamois or some other leathers can) and is somewhat less matte at the start. "Real" natty shell (un-dyed and un-polished) will be very matte and is thinner. Over time, shell gets polished by your pocket and has a deeper gloss than CXL typically will. Shell has a more complex patina. The density and strength of shell is manifest when you hold it, but I wouldn't say CXL is weak. There's also a lot more variation in natty CXL. My understanding is that Horween has had some trouble lately with the color variation on natty CXL - Alden has apparently pushed the "pause" button with on natty CXL for a while - so you see everything from fairly tan (like your Indys) to more olive tones (like my passport holder - will try to post a pic tomorrow). Natty shell tends to start very tan, but takes on a reddish/brown tone over time.

Horween's Dublin leather is awfully cool option too - tanned with the same formula ash shell but clearly still a cow-leather. I've seen some cool variations from Ashland using reverse shell, which I think is really cool. This #8 all-reverse might have been my choice if it had been available at the time... (and it's currently the same $$ I paid for mine)

You never disappoint when it comes to your knowledge on Alden, CXL & Shell. Thanks for the insights.

I am okay with the more whiskey tone that the Natural Shell possesses, as it really doesn’t take long for a lighter natural leather to reach that level of transition. My Tanner Goods managed it in less then 6 months

FF04299E-E466-4008-BC3A-51BC87B8CE19.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three years next month. THe fist two were pretty action-packed - a lot of international travel. But for the last 11 months my only flights have been to Phoenix and back. I'm going to be In Seattle for a few days starting late next week, and to be honest I've got mixed feelings about it. (Going to apartment-hunt with my eldest spawn, who has managed to get the dream-job in the middle of all this chaos, but I digress).

They tend to do flash sales, so I'd get on their mailing list if you aren't. They've occasionally discounted natty shell, but it hasn't been often.
Congrats on the kid getting a great job!

Reactions: WJR

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the kid getting a great job!
Thanks - it really is an incredible blessing. I'm not excited about the spawn being essentially being as far away from here as possible in the lower 48, but I get to Seattle occasionally for work and I think this one will really enjoy the area.

singjai

Reaction score
This might not be a place to introduce a luxury brand but every time I've thought about or switched to a new wallet, I've always immediately reverted back to my Burberry cardholder.. Got it as a gift, seen at least 7 years of everyday use and not a stitch out of place!

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_6745.JPG

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what I’m looking at here? Seems to share features of other jackets on the site but I’m not sure what it is.
2C93B2E8-B6E8-42ED-A305-5868F1E32F18.png

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or torture.

I do love Pendleton blankets. So, you've got my attention although I hate to admit that. Enter the torture portion of the tour.

Without further delay here is my new Pendleton Glacier National Park Blanket in Full Size (80 x 90). I opted for Glacier National Park because it pays tribute to Hudson Bay Point Blankets, which can trace its roots back to the Fur Trade Era. There are no “Points” for Pendleton, but if there were, it would be called a 4 Point. It’s made in the USA with 100% Virgin Wool.

Pendleton is pretty much known for not having sales for their Wool Blankets, maybe 10% if you’re lucky. However I was able to score 37% off at Moosejaw.com, using a coupon code I got from an email for rewards members. It ended up costing less then a Glacier Throw Size (54 x 76). Now if I can just have similar luck with Ashland Leather, then I’ll be more then happy with myself.

4EA6CA61-FFCF-4342-9605-A3EC7CC23204.jpeg

CD00B6A1-938F-4117-93C2-DA41A208CA20.jpeg

484305E3-C674-4627-91DE-E1244961FA7B.jpeg

The goal was a Hudson Bay 4 Point Blanket, but there was no way I was going to fork over $400 for one. I will wait and see what upcoming sales events there are.

510E9CF1-3EB6-4287-A86A-B97EE55027A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See you a Glacier and raise you an Olympic NP. :)

not sure where my wife moved our Mt Ranier NP. It’s mostly red and may not match her decor.

these are getting tough to find. I’m looking for a Rocky Mtn. NP if anybody spots one.

Attachments

• 9EA6BDEB-F87D-4AC1-B081-33F173BA9DE8.jpeg
    9EA6BDEB-F87D-4AC1-B081-33F173BA9DE8.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 37

nevadabob

Reaction score
Anyone know what I’m looking at here? Seems to share features of other jackets on the site but I’m not sure what it is. View attachment 1475282

I've looked for five minutes and I can't quite place it. It has features of the cruiser, and a cape coat and a double-logger, but I'm not sure what it was called. I think that watch pocket on the right side (as you're looking at it) is pretty rare. It may have been one of the limited edition coats they've done in the last ten years.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what I’m looking at here? Seems to share features of other jackets on the site but I’m not sure what it is. View attachment 1475282

I wasn’t able to place it either, but considering it has a black logo tag, it shouldn’t be too hard to track. The brown or grey corduroy collar will be the giveaway I think.

Edit: Looks like @FilsonDude beat us to it

nevadabob

Reaction score
Hey, my wife got one of those from an offsite years ago. It sits with a couple of kids' Pendletons, a Filson and a Peppa Pig.

56502F07-6D7B-4912-907B-E32609463B79.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads