• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Heres one more, Wetterlings made this for years.One night, 12:00am or so, im reading how Wetterlings was closing shop. im like, oh man, better grab one of these while I can because I loved it. long story short, spent the next hour desperately trying to find one because they seemed to be all out of stock or no longer available. finally around 1:30 I found one available and grabbed it. it lives in my outfitter bag in the truck!
IMG_3656.JPG
fullsizeoutput_b6e.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
@Stratkat thanks for sharing. Those are some amazing axes. That new one's handle is gorgeous, both the shape and the wood itself. What is the knob (didn't know that was the proper term until your second post) material on that one? Thanks again for sharing and the education. Any hatchets I have are plastic handled things (Fiskars, Gerber) with no soul. These have style and soul.

I wore that vest for a bit yesterday. I'm currently in northern WI where it was slightly chilly. That vest took care of that. I love the look and durability of that piece. I have yet to show it any significant use. That's on my to do list though. A fun tidbit - I saw a glimpse of a small black bear while on a short morning walk. That's a first for me, seeing a bear before work (there aren't many in downtown Chicago). I wish that could happen more often.

Stratkat

Reaction score
@Stratkat thanks for sharing. Those are some amazing axes. That new one's handle is gorgeous, both the shape and the wood itself. What is the knob (didn't know that was the proper term until your second post) material on that one? Thanks again for sharing and the education. Any hatchets I have are plastic handled things (Fiskars, Gerber) with no soul. These have style and soul.

I wore that vest for a bit yesterday. I'm currently in northern WI where it was slightly chilly. That vest took care of that. I love the look and durability of that piece. I have yet to show it any significant use. That's on my to do list though. A fun tidbit - I saw a glimpse of a small black bear while on a short morning walk. That's a first for me, seeing a bear before work (there aren't many in downtown Chicago). I wish that could happen more often.
you are welcome.
yes, and it feels great in hand, very balanced and can choke right up under the beard too for detail work. the cap is reindeer horn, as is the inlay. the lined vest is one of my favorite pieces, wear it all the time.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Is yours the small or large version? I've never seen them before you showed yours. I've looked into them and I'm kinda smitten. They've really got a beautiful package. Maybe this will go on my Christmas wish list.

As long as we are on the topic:

1601578416556.png

Link to item.

I'm pretty sure a couple of these are in my future.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unrelated to axes ... I was looking at a few Barbour jackets recently - not that I need another coat - and as a fan of Filson and this thread, I got to wondering what Filson has that would be most comparable to a Barbour Bedale or Beaufort.

I haven't bothered to review all 80 "jackets" on Filson's website in detail but at first blush it might be some combo of the 3-layer field jacket, the Filson x Mossy Oak upland jacket, and the mile-marker jacket. Have I missed one?

Also, any feedback on the ones I mentioned?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Unrelated to axes ... I was looking at a few Barbour jackets recently - not that I need another coat - and as a fan of Filson and this thread, I got to wondering what Filson has that would be most comparable to a Barbour Bedale or Beaufort.

I haven't bothered to review all 80 "jackets" on Filson's website in detail but at first blush it might be some combo of the 3-layer field jacket, the Filson x Mossy Oak upland jacket, and the mile-marker jacket. Have I missed one?

I don't know the Barbour line. But, check out Filson's Mile Marker and All Season Rain Coat. If either of those are comparable, feel free to ask me about those.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Is yours the small or large version? I've never seen them before you showed yours. I've looked into them and I'm kinda smitten. They've really got a beautiful package. Maybe this will go on my Christmas wish list.

View attachment 1469220

Link to item.

its the small version.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Home for the weekend to celebrate my birthday, a little bit of Filson and a lot of GoRuck. Best gift of all is that my Twin Brother is home. This is the first Birthday since 2017 that we’ve shared together, so needless to say I am quite elated.

08C93883-3CD2-46AB-BD75-CDCDAE1FA305.jpeg

Stratkat

Reaction score

View attachment 1469220

Link to item.

Interesting, I’ve always got this in my pocket for bottles...

Attachments

• 88D56307-EA74-44CE-8432-141D9BB2FCA9.jpeg
    88D56307-EA74-44CE-8432-141D9BB2FCA9.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 66

CCF1897

Reaction score

The Tin cloth field jacket would be most/very comparable to the Beaufort, takes liners like the Beaufort. Same pocket configuration including game/map pocket on the back.
the 3-layer field jacket Would not compare?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tin cloth field jacket would be most/very comparable to the Beaufort, takes liners like the Beaufort. Same pocket configuration including game/map pocket on the back.
the 3-layer field jacket Would not compare?
@Count de Monet I agree with @CCF1897 but would also say that the Mile Marker is very close is weight and style to the Barbour Bedale. I have a cover cloth mile marker and I would consider it one of the more formal Filson jackets available. It’s also very weatherproof, nearly waterproof, but won’t hold up as well as tin cloth in thick brush.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
anyone pick up that chainstitch Smokey patch?

trouble you to take a close up pic of it?

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone have any tips for cleaning a twill Filson bag? I have a tan original briefcase that has some kind of stain on the inside. I tried wiping it with a damp rag, but that didn't cut it. Any advice? I thought I'd check with you all before I start just trying things

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First flight in months! Headed to DFW from STL. Decided to go with the small Pullman for this trip.

Classic bag to carry!
My daughter made our itinerary for today and she has included a restaurant near the Filson Plano store. She knows her Dad!

Attachments

• A124E46C-473D-4F5D-B21A-01C3C7FCC522.jpeg
    A124E46C-473D-4F5D-B21A-01C3C7FCC522.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 63

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics