• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having only rugged twill bags myself, how much of a stain risk is the tin cloth?
The 24hr briefcase always looked their most enticing bigger briefcase to me, but I've read some things about tin cloth that I'm a bit worried about, especially during warmer days;

I carried a 24HR Briefcase for over a year, 5 days a week. It was my sole Filson. Tin Cloth will patina much different then Rugged Twill, which is why I recommend opting for a darker material, mine was of course Otter Green. I haven’t seen a patinaed Tan that has changed my mind on that front. The material doesn’t breath very well but I’ve never had any sweating issues, and I carried mine in the peak of summer. You won’t find a better bag that features an organizational layout that’s as well thought of as the 24HR. However it’s not as supportive as it’s Rugged Twill cousin; for example when i was considering selling mine I loaded it up as I would for an extended trip side by side with one of the #70257’s that I ordered (before returning them due to the telltale leather QC issues). The results: the #70257 distributed the weight much better but was slightly more cluttered. The 24HR distributed the weight towards the center of the bag and appeared much heavier, but organizationally speaking, was far superior. I decided to go with the lesser of two evils, which is why I still carry a #257. I do find myself regretting selling it from time to time, the leather (early 2015) was perfect without any of the later faults and it carried & packed great on an EDC level.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having only rugged twill bags myself, how much of a stain risk is the tin cloth?
The 24hr briefcase always looked their most enticing bigger briefcase to me, but I've read some things about tin cloth that I'm a bit worried about, especially during warmer days;
I haven't carried it more than once and did it by hand, but I think the stain risk is probably as high as a waxed Barbour jacket.

As a briefcase though if you are comparing it to other Filsons, like the 256, I think it's probably smaller.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took receipt of a 24-hour bag recently. It's heavier than I thought it would be.
I actually took time to weigh my old 24 hour bag next to my 256 or 257 (don't recall) a few years ago. I was also surprised to find the 24 hour bag to be heavier. The "lighter weight" tin cloth isn't so.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Medium tin cloth Friday....
44A09942-6421-4A62-B152-F1462968E667.jpeg

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I carried a 24HR Briefcase for over a year, 5 days a week. It was my sole Filson. Tin Cloth will patina much different then Rugged Twill, which is why I recommend opting for a darker material, mine was of course Otter Green. I haven’t seen a patinaed Tan that has changed my mind on that front. The material doesn’t breath very well but I’ve never had any sweating issues, and I carried mine in the peak of summer. You won’t find a better bag that features an organizational layout that’s as well thought of as the 24HR. However it’s not as supportive as it’s Rugged Twill cousin; for example when i was considering selling mine I loaded it up as I would for an extended trip side by side with one of the #70257’s that I ordered (before returning them due to the telltale leather QC issues). The results: the #70257 distributed the weight much better but was slightly more cluttered. The 24HR distributed the weight towards the center of the bag and appeared much heavier, but organizationally speaking, was far superior. I decided to go with the lesser of two evils, which is why I still carry a #257. I do find myself regretting selling it from time to time, the leather (early 2015) was perfect without any of the later faults and it carried & packed great on an EDC level.

wonder if this leather bottom would carry better

but also added weight

41139740-758C-4F22-9B88-78C5DE1B5FED.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
And what is that under the briefcase? Looks like a sleeve for a legal pad with a pocket on the front. When that one goes up for sale, give me a heads up!

GzStudio

Reaction score
And what is that under the briefcase? Looks like a sleeve for a legal pad with a pocket on the front. When that one goes up for sale, give me a heads up!

that is a padded laptop sleeve with a tin cloth pocket.....

GzStudio

Reaction score
What color straps are those? They look fantastic.

they are and I absolutely love the feel of them. As far as color, not exactly sure as it’s a reddish/orange/brown. once the leather stretches or bends it creates even better color striations.

from Filson:
  • Vegetable-tanned show harness leather straps and handles from Wickett & Craig, Pennsylvania tannery since 1867

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Linen Micarta scales back from the craftsman recently and today I resembled the Spyderco Para 3. New pocket clip holes were drilled & tapped for blade up carry.

It was much easier this time, knowing where everything goes, and especially after ordering another Wiha torx driver. That free-spinning backspacer is one annoying little devil.

Loving the new pocket clip location, which is making quick drawing that much easier

4AA6F671-26F2-40A2-B6FC-007E4BED6BBE.jpeg

0D37C26F-3960-498B-8712-9A6FFB9AEA74.jpeg

I was even able to fit the brass .45ACP lanyard hole stud along with the clip. Will it also fit with my incoming Casey Lynch deep carry clip? I’ll know when it’s back in stock and I can order it.

CF97C733-5779-48DB-A6D5-F0E1EE13C33F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: WJR

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share this awesome Filson article I found while researching something. It’s about a snowboarder who prefers Filson amongst anything else. He carries a Large Talon Era Duffel and actually rides in Tin Cloth Pants

Reactions: WJR

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share this awesome Filson article I found while researching something. It’s about a snowboarder who prefers Filson amongst anything else. He carries a Large Talon Era Duffel and actually rides in Tin Cloth Pants

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed this. I’ve often thought that tin pants could be used for lots of things other than logging - including skiing - as well as motorcycling.

Interesting to see the references to Barbour and Belstaff. I’ve had a Steve McQueen style vintage jacket and pants from Belstaff and it’s good stuff. Today I have armoured leather gear from Belstaff, just because armour makes a significant difference.

I note though that Belstaff are clothing sponsors for the new Ewan McGregor travel series “Long Way Up”. But they are no longer UK owned, and are more of a fashion brand. They’ve come a long way from their roots.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Quick question for those with Large Outfitters, #238. Does the bottom compartment have snap in dividers? I know the #239 does.

Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads