• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the longest time I thought that the rolling duffles had the same capacity as the manual-carry duffles. For that reason i disregarded the Small Duffle as an overnight bag/ gym bag. As I've got the Small Rolling Duffle (discontinued now) and it seemed a tad big for these purposes.

But apparently the rolling duffles are a tad bigger capacity than their non-rolling namesakes. I wonder how many people disregarded one of these bags for this reason.

Anyone here uses the small duffle as a gym bag or 1-2 night getaway bag?

I’m not sure about that. I had a rolling and non rolling large duffle for a while and it seemed to me that the rolling was slightly smaller. Not by much, but a little.

DC9C3621-5E3C-412E-A366-F480FC64AF2D.jpeg

Rolling beats carrying by a loooong way at this size!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are very uncommon - unlike a talon green small duffle. I had 3, sold 1, have 2 left - tan and green (talon on both)
Well their uncommon enough to where you search “Filson STB” or “Small Travel Bag” on Google and for the longest time the only results was this forum. Actually I wasn’t even aware of the correct Build Number until your most recent eBay listing.

Last edited:

GzStudio

Reaction score
Well their uncommon enough to where you search “Filson STB” or “Small Travel Bag” on Google and for the longest time the only results was this forum. Actually I wasn’t even aware of the correct Build Number until your most recent eBay listing.

I do not think they were very popular. The only thing going for it over the small duffle is ease of access to the interior with the larger/longer zipper. They are essentially the same size from what I remember. I personally prefer slinging a small duffle over the shoulder than the stb due to the shape of the stb.

WJR

Reaction score
Anyone here uses the small duffle as a gym bag or 1-2 night getaway bag?

Yes! I finally took an overnight business trip this week and was able to use a few new items that I have purchased over the last couple of months. The small navy duffle was a perfect size for me and included change of clothes, sleep clothes, and workout clothes plus a pair of shoes.

Also, I used Eagle Creek packing cubes for the first time ever based on recommendations here and really liked the extra organization provided by them. Will get some pics next trip.

Wandering

Reaction score
Yes! I finally took an overnight business trip this week and was able to use a few new items that I have purchased over the last couple of months. The small navy duffle was a perfect size for me and included change of clothes, sleep clothes, and workout clothes plus a pair of shoes.

Also, used Eagle Creek packing cubes for the first time ever based on recommendations here and really liked the extra organization provided by them. Will get some pics next trip.
Nice all-navy family. Thanks! ?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
One bit of disappointment - and I rarely return items - I'd hoped to return the clicker pen I'd bought about a month ago. It's a piece of junk. Feels cheap and the writing tip doesn't retract about 20% of the time. The associate told me that the the item must be returned in saleable condition and since the pen had been taken out of the packaging, I am unable to return it. Pointed it out on the receipt. Stupid, eh?

Anyway, stay away from this piece of crap.

Picked up a couple of new things, too, while I was there. Some of you guys already own these as I've seen pictures of them on here before, but in the next few days I'll try to get one or two up.

I recommend calling the 800 number to talk to them about that pen. It should be replaced. I'm shocked the local store did not take care of you. I'm disappointed to hear that. If Filson won't help (they better), try Rite in the Rain.

I have that very pen (minus the filson name and upcharge) in my truck. It's been there for about five years. The build quality is nothing special but it is slim and writes in all weather as it should. As a truck pen, it doesn't see a lot of use.

Please let us know how things turn out for the watch (I have a bunch of those) and the pen. Good luck.

Wandering

Reaction score
I’m not sure about that. I had a rolling and non rolling large duffle for a while and it seemed to me that the rolling was slightly smaller. Not by much, but a little.

View attachment 1464394

Rolling beats carrying by a loooong way at this size!
Perhaps it is the rails taking up space ? Anyways, the dimensions for the small duffle are smaller than the rolling small duffle.
I was thinking about a large rolling duffle for a while -yours looks lovely- but decided to skip on that, as I would be anxious whenever I'd have to check it in. I know, very durable as they are, but still would hate to see scratches on the leather.
My small rolling duffle I basically use for weekend getaways or whenever I have to take something (multiple pairs of shoes with shoe trees) with me that would wreak havoc on my spinal column otherwise ? . I love how exclusive it is now after discontinuation lol.

Wandering

Reaction score
Though I've no intention of buying this -doesn't blend with my rugged twill items, I can see how this nylon Pullman degrades the rugged twill Small Pullman in terms of functionality with that internal divider.

20115932_Black_alt_04.png

Back when I bought the rugged twill Pullman (and returned it), something felt not quite right. Now I know what it is. What's the use of two compartments when you can't separate the dirty shoes, laundry etc. from the delicate or fresh items? So, if Filson could just update their Small pullman with a cover cloth divider, that would be very tempting. :)

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I've no intention of buying this -doesn't blend with my rugged twill items, I can see how this nylon Pullman degrades the rugged twill Small Pullman in terms of functionality with that internal divider.

Back when I bought the rugged twill Pullman (and returned it), something felt not quite right. Now I know what it is. What's the use of two compartments when you can't separate the dirty shoes, laundry etc. from the delicate or fresh items? So, if Filson could just update their Small pullman with a cover cloth divider, that would be very tempting. :)

Or you could carry a trash bag?

Wandering

Reaction score
Or you could carry a trash bag?
I'd prefer to cover up my trash :D

Edit: seriously though, wouldn't the Small Pullman become such a better bag with this update? Wasn't the outfitter bag popular specifically for the divider compartment?

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not think they were very popular. The only thing going for it over the small duffle is ease of access to the interior with the larger/longer zipper. They are essentially the same size from what I remember. I personally prefer slinging a small duffle over the shoulder than the stb due to the shape of the stb.

True. Although I’m much more a fan of the more sturdy Travel Bags over the Duffels, which can be a bit floppy at times.

Wandering

Reaction score
Took receipt of a 24-hour bag recently. It's heavier than I thought it would be.
Having only rugged twill bags myself, how much of a stain risk is the tin cloth?
The 24hr briefcase always looked their most enticing bigger briefcase to me, but I've read some things about tin cloth that I'm a bit worried about, especially during warmer days;

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics