• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I think the longer/thicker pad does feel nicer with the 242. It didn't make much of a difference on for the 256 though.
Nice. Looks good in Otter too.
I use the Filson wide strap on mine and like it. Padless means less of a gravity assisted swinging effect when not using the strap.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazing stuff, thanks for posting. I like the fact I own the Mac , vest and hat that are essentially unchanged from these. ( also - a vest with sleeves....? Isn’t that a jacket?!)

Also the note about how these were good clothes for outings and vacations - so hipsters and fashion types back then too!

Lastly, that $7k invoice makes today’s sale prices look like a bargain. ;-)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to join the Jacob Bromwell crowd. I don’t carry a flask all that often (usually when fly fishing) - but damn, couldn’t pass up the chance to jump on the Sierra deal for the flask.

Very impressed with it and glad I picked it up. Will be adding some brown liquid to it very soon. View attachment 1462583 View attachment 1462583 View attachment 1462585 View attachment 1462584 View attachment 1462585

Nice grab, maybe you will be the first member here to actually post a picture of it being used. This forum as of late has been a bit of a bandwagon haven. Between the Filson Travel Tray, the #242, and now the Jacob Bromwell Flask, it's hard keeping track of who has one, two or now all three. Not knocking it, just an observation. I have not one of the aforementioned, so it doesn't have the affect on everyone it seems, or maybe it's just my minimalist ways shining through

Last edited:

singjai

Reaction score
The barriers to entry might be a little more difficult on this one... NOS 236 medium outfitter bag. Much more practical for travel than its larger siblings..

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Next to the 238
40BF9D82-E601-414B-81F7-FB91809DE9AB.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking back to 2017 I was one of the first (if not the first) to start the Talon Era bandwagon & trend here for quite a few members, so no hate whatsoever.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@singjai is that your's or something you found online? It's in pristine condition for being both Tan and Talon. Those are about as common as an STB

singjai

Reaction score
@singjai is that your's or something you found online? It's in pristine condition for being both Tan and Talon. Those are about as common as an STB
It's mine, had tags still on it but no pamphlet or anything. The canvas is abnormally really stiff, like to the point where it's almost like cardboard when trying to bend it. Don't remember my 257 being this stiff when I got it. It'll break in soon enough though!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you say STB, are you referring to a small travel bag? Like a smaller version of the MTB you had?

Yes. There was 3 versions of that line (STB-#244, MTB-#246, LTB-#248).

Stratkat

Reaction score
It's mine, had tags still on it but no pamphlet or anything. The canvas is abnormally really stiff, like to the point where it's almost like cardboard when trying to bend it. Don't remember my 257 being this stiff when I got it. It'll break in soon enough though!
mine was also (supposedly) NOS with tags, full collection of locks, original booklet. the strap anchor pulled right out of it, literally. looked great but dry rot everywhere, I could tear the fabric with my hands!! I hope/wish you have much better luck.

IMG_5080.jpeg

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
mine was also (supposedly) NOS with tags, full collection of locks, original booklet. the strap anchor pulled right out of it, literally. looked great but dry rot everywhere, I could tear the fabric with my hands!! I hope/wish you have much better luck.

View attachment 1463101

Woah! We might need to rename the thread Filson Bag Horror Stories. This makes me so sad in general but specifically for you, Stratkat. Bummer. I hope you were able to get your money back when this happened.

singjai

Reaction score

View attachment 1463101
Wow, really hope you got your money back on this. How was the smell?

I lucked out with this one. Was definitely stored properly and no odors.

5BD52FD1-EEE1-49B1-A655-490E0F2983EF.jpeg

5F58BAE3-3D15-4208-807B-A71DA48DCAFF.jpeg

nevadabob

Reaction score
So I just sent an item to Filson for repair (first time for everything). I'm not sure exactly how it's going to pan out - the item is a Mackinaw Field Watch from a couple of years ago. I looked down at it yesterday and the second hand had become detached from the rest of the hands on the dial and was floating around below the crystal. I was pleased Filson took the watch in, since it's made by Shinola. I was kind of thinking they'd just tell me to go direct to Shinola.

One bit of disappointment - and I rarely return items - I'd hoped to return the clicker pen I'd bought about a month ago. It's a piece of junk. Feels cheap and the writing tip doesn't retract about 20% of the time. The associate told me that the the item must be returned in saleable condition and since the pen had been taken out of the packaging, I am unable to return it. Pointed it out on the receipt. Stupid, eh?

Anyway, stay away from this piece of crap.

Picked up a couple of new things, too, while I was there. Some of you guys already own these as I've seen pictures of them on here before, but in the next few days I'll try to get one or two up.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just sent an item to Filson for repair (first time for everything). I'm not sure exactly how it's going to pan out - the item is a Mackinaw Field Watch from a couple of years ago. I looked down at it yesterday and the second hand had become detached from the rest of the hands on the dial and was floating around below the crystal. I was pleased Filson took the watch in, since it's made by Shinola. I was kind of thinking they'd just tell me to go direct to Shinola.

One bit of disappointment - and I rarely return items - I'd hoped to return the clicker pen I'd bought about a month ago. It's a piece of junk. Feels cheap and the writing tip doesn't retract about 20% of the time. The associate told me that the the item must be returned in saleable condition and since the pen had been taken out of the packaging, I am unable to return it. Pointed it out on the receipt. Stupid, eh?

Anyway, stay away from this piece of crap.

Picked up a couple of new things, too, while I was there. Some of you guys already own these as I've seen pictures of them on here before, but in the next few days I'll try to get one or two up.
That’s too bad about the pen. My mother in law bought me one. It’s still in the package since she only gave it to me last weekend, but maybe I’ll return it. It wasn’t a cheap pen so there’s no excuse for it to not perform properly. That surprises me that your local store wouldn’t take it back. Did you show them that it wasn’t functioning the way it was intended to? To me it’s an issue of implied warranty that the item should work for it’s intended purpose. I would reach out to right in the rain and let them know. They may do something for you. Their notebooks and waterproof paper is industry standard. Too bad they couldn’t follow it up with a good pen.

Looking forward to seeing your purchases. I never mind seeing new perspectives on items already shared.

Wandering

Reaction score
For the longest time I thought that the rolling duffles had the same capacity as the manual-carry duffles. For that reason i disregarded the Small Duffle as an overnight bag/ gym bag. As I've got the Small Rolling Duffle (discontinued now) and it seemed a tad big for these purposes.

But apparently the rolling duffles are a tad bigger capacity than their non-rolling namesakes. I wonder how many people disregarded one of these bags for this reason.

Anyone here uses the small duffle as a gym bag or 1-2 night getaway bag?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads