• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

singjai

Reaction score
Gotcha. I guess it depends on the build year and/or Wickett & Craig batch, because mine do (in shade and visual quality). I’m definitely still more that happy with mine, but glad your new purchase has improved your experience with your new to you club #242

View attachment 1461781

View attachment 1461782
Yeah, it's definitely a hit or miss and I think you're right - it depends on the year/batch. Out of all my talons, only the 256 and 257 straps had the suede finish and similar to yours. The rest of them look like the YKK one. Not a big deal but I had to get one anyway so I figured I'd give VP a shot.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely a hit or miss and I think you're right - it depends on the year/batch. Out of all my talons, only the 256 and 257 straps had the suede finish and similar to yours. The rest of them look like the YKK one. Not a big deal but I had to get one anyway so I figured I'd give VP a shot.

Do let us know if it helps distribute the weight better, especially with something like a #242 which carries very similar to a Pullman.

I hear good things about their leather, also Frost River bridle leather for what its worth.

singjai

Reaction score
Do let us know if it helps distribute the weight better, especially with something like a #242 which carries very similar to a Pullman.

I hear good things about their leather, also Frost River bridle leather for what its worth.
Hm, I think the longer/thicker pad does feel nicer with the 242. It didn't make much of a difference on for the 256 though.

singjai

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of Jean Shop Manufacturing? Looks like they might have altered the leather with some sort of treatment here?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score

singjai

Reaction score
This is with the VP strap, right? I really dig the overall look. The long pad strap and the luggage tag look great with this. It really has me thinking about my own bag.
Yeah, it goes so well with the larger luggages in my opinion. If you're interested, I'd definitely recommended shooting Dustin an email to see if he can part with another one. This strap just screams quality! As for the tag.. I think @speedy611 might be the OG who paired the Filson tag with the 242.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this during one my research quests. Certainly an interesting packing style for the 257/70257. Reminded me of one of those doctor bags from older movies

B251644F-0E0A-449E-8948-DD86EF60E33C.png

Reaction score
I think some of you may follow me on the socials, but for those that don't, here's a piece I just laid my hands on--it's the oldest Filson piece I've ever laid my hands on. It's a 1930's Fil-Clo era workshirt. There are some repairs up by the placket on the upper left chest area but they appear to be period appropriate repairs. I've only come across one other Fil-Clo era piece and that was a tin cloth vest that showed it's age--this piece is museum quality, though.

IMG_7150.JPG
IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_4006 2.JPG
IMG_3289.JPG

If that wasn't enough, I also picked up a few pieces of Filson ephemera, including a couple of letters from 1923 marketing the newest offerings from Filson, a notice of payment from 1927 that equals out to about $7000 in 2020 money, and an old Filson brochure.

606FC802-EF80-4CF2-A221-93959A0C7F00_1_105_c.jpeg
IMG_5879.jpg
IMG_5880.jpg
IMG_5881.jpg
IMG_5890.PNG

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I think some of you may follow me on the socials, but for those that don't, here's a piece I just laid my hands on--it's the oldest Filson piece I've ever laid my hands on. It's a 1930's Fil-Clo era workshirt. There are some repairs up by the placket on the upper left chest area but they appear to be period appropriate repairs. I've only come across one other Fil-Clo era piece and that was a tin cloth vest that showed it's age--this piece is museum quality, though.

This is really great, OTC. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm going to dare to be greedy and ask if you might post close up pictures of the brochure. I would love to be able to read all of the copy.

Thanks again for posting this great find. It's really fun to read about the business almost 100 years ago! Think about that. Wow.

Reactions: WJR

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rymanocerous and nevadabob,

In that case, what do you do about the piling and chipping on the back side of the straps? The strap for my 257 is already showing some good wear from use the past couple of months.

Thank you.
Nothing. Leave it be. The only thing you really could do i perhaps shave the nap, but you run the risk of cutting through. That rough layer is also providing protection and structure to the leather. Time to adopt the wabi sabi attitude and let it ride.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to join the Jacob Bromwell crowd. I don’t carry a flask all that often (usually when fly fishing) - but damn, couldn’t pass up the chance to jump on the Sierra deal for the flask.

Very impressed with it and glad I picked it up. Will be adding some brown liquid to it very soon.
0BA43C13-BF90-437E-94DF-8633C16BEE37.jpeg
0BA43C13-BF90-437E-94DF-8633C16BEE37.jpeg
ACD0B48A-8E17-40D3-8A6F-BDB716260ECC.jpeg
594046D3-566C-462A-B29F-88DFB4748577.jpeg
ACD0B48A-8E17-40D3-8A6F-BDB716260ECC.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the duplicate pics - did it from my iPad and got a little click-happy.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of Jean Shop Manufacturing? Looks like they might have altered the leather with some sort of treatment here?

They were NYC-based and had a bunch of Filson bags several years ago that they distressed and treated so that they had a worn look to them. Interesting to see that one on eBay. Looks really nice actually. Also, probably the most Pullmans I've seen for sale at once on re-sale sites. You guys think it's just people who aren't traveling who want to recoup some money?

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Saw this during one my research quests. Certainly an interesting packing style for the 257/70257. Reminded me of one of those doctor bags from older movies

View attachment 1462072
From the old Unionmade website. I visited this site religiously to stare at the pics of the bags when I first got into Filson. Then going into the shop to see them for the first time...it was quite an experience!

Reaction score
This is really great, OTC. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm going to dare to be greedy and ask if you might post close up pictures of the brochure. I would love to be able to read all of the copy.

Thanks again for posting this great find. It's really fun to read about the business almost 100 years ago! Think about that. Wow.
As requested, here are some close ups of the brochure contents:
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_4483.JPG
IMG_5966.jpg
IMG_5967.jpg
IMG_7113.JPG
IMG_7619.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads