• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
What do you all think about the 223 large duffle? Good for longer trips if not quite filed to capacity so that it’s not too heavy? Other? I’m considering one for longer car trips where I won’t have to carry long distances. not carry through airport, etc. Thanks for your thoughts.

I just looked at mine. It's new. I got it several months ago thinking I would use it for any of my outdoor hobbies that have lots of bulky stuff that I want to wrangle. Car camping, hunting, ATVing, snowmobiling, paddling (although I have better/specific use duffles for that activity).

Anyway, I wouldn't want a larger one unless it had wheels. I can easily see me using this for the purposes I describe. Like I said, I see it as a way to wrangle a bunch of loose stuff. I would only use it for car transportation, there would be no way I would carry it long distances. I doubt I would fill it with clothes. That would be incredibly heavy.

Last edited:

FilsonDude

Reaction score
@WJR

2F521706-BB8E-4789-AD79-4CC6C3307364.jpeg
D4DC4431-811F-49EC-94DF-8FEEFC7262EF.jpeg

FilsonDude

Reaction score
This is what I used:
1600219811052.png

Yeah I know pretty odd. It was actually recommended to me years ago by an associate at the Seattle flagship. He glanced the thirsty leather on my old Medium field bag I was lugging around and suggested this product to me. Hey I guess if it’s good enough for the pricey leather seats in your ride it must be fine for the leather on your bags. I like that it goes on clean and there’s no greasy feel afterwards.
Anyways, thats what I used this time around. I do have Obenaufs and other products.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed getting to know more about Filson and its history from reading through this thread.

I have a question that may have been asked already, but I could not find anything on it.

The small duffle was numbered 70220. The original medium duffle was 70222. Large was 70223. Extra Large was 70224.

Did Filson ever make a 221/70221? If not, would that have been a better choice for the small, carry on size medium duffle, than 70325 and fit in the numbering scheme since it would be between the 70220 and 70222 in size?

All of the original Filson’s actually only carried the 3 digit nomenclature. It wasn’t until early 2012 when they switched to 5 digit build numbers, which was when Bedrock Manufacturing took control. For instance my Sportsman which was built in October 2010 and was labeled as such:

188F898F-D89F-4F0E-ADA5-9A8C7CE885E8.jpeg

As opposed to (January 2014). I still don't know why "70" was chosen.

B76719BC-122C-4083-ABF4-91730C223D1C.jpeg

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I used:
View attachment 1459288
Yeah I know pretty odd. It was actually recommended to me years ago by an associate at the Seattle flagship. He glanced the thirsty leather on my old Medium field bag I was lugging around and suggested this product to me. Hey I guess if it’s good enough for the pricey leather seats in your ride it must be fine for the leather on your bags. I like that it goes on clean and there’s no greasy feel afterwards.
Anyways, thats what I used this time around. I do have Obenaufs and other products.
Not to be argumentative but leather car seats are treated and sealed, so the products designed for them aren't the best for fine leather goods.

WJR

Reaction score
To add to this, they could have kept the 70222 in the line up with them as I still feel it has a solid place in my collection of duffles

I have not seen a 70222 in person as of yet. That size has been recommended to me by several old school Filson owners over the 70325.

I do plan to add a medium duffle eventually but at this point am not sure which one to pick.

WJR

Reaction score
This is what I used:

FilsonDude,

Thank you for the informative posts. Your sleeve looks great! My sleeve looks like your "before" pictures. I did buy some Obenaufs recently based on posts earlier in the thread for my 257. Would you say that could do the job as well?

WJR

Reaction score
All of the original Filson’s actually only carried the 3 digit nomenclature. It wasn’t until early 2012 when they switched to 5 digit build numbers, which was when Bedrock Manufacturing took control. For instance my Sportsman which was built in October 2010 and was labeled as such:

OMG, thank you for the history lesson. I was aware of the 3 then 5 digit nomenclature, just not the timing of same. Now I guess they have added the 110 in front for 8 digits. Any idea on why that happened?

Also, any thoughts/comments on the 70221 vs 70325?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
FilsonDude,

Thank you for the informative posts. Your sleeve looks great! My sleeve looks like your "before" pictures. I did buy some Obenaufs recently based on posts earlier in the thread for my 257. Would you say that could do the job as well?

This question is not directed toward me but I recently put some Obenauf's on a Filson leather bag that has leather similar to the sleeves. It was my first time using it and I guess I decided to jump in head first. I'm happy with how the bag turned out. The only thing to be cautious of is the build up of wax (Obenauf's is beeswax based) in the stitching holes. I had a little of that but decided it didn't bother me much. If it did, I might use a toothpick to gently pull some out. That would be very tedious work. The stitching holes on my piece were the handle tabs for a tote. Those holes are much larger than what can be found on these sleeves.

This reminds me, I really should put that bag in the window and let the sun heat it up to melt any build up a bit more. I'm guessing that will make a difference.

Obenauf's won't hurt the stitching, BTW. In fact, it will help preserve it. If it were me, I would use Obenauf's. Just be aware of the stitching holes. Or, maybe slather it on and use a hair dryer set to low to help melt it by the stitching when you are done.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Not to be argumentative but leather car seats are treated and sealed, so the products designed for them aren't the best for fine leather goods.

I’m no expert in leather care by any means. I only imagine the gentleman had good results from using it himself and offered the suggestion to me. This was around the time that the only leather care product that Filson sold was Obenaufs. I do use a a few different brands of product. Obenaufs usually for my boots.

The specs on the Chemical Guys product does say that it can be used for a variety of leather goods including jackets, bags etc.

To clarify, I’m not suggesting or endorsing the product. Just wanted to show what I used this time around. I can post updated pictures in the future of the sleeve.

FilsonDude

Reaction score
FilsonDude,

I would think that Obenaufs will also do a fine job. It used to be officially endorsed by Filson before they started offering their own branded leather care.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert in leather care by any means. I only imagine the gentleman had good results from using it himself and offered the suggestion to me. This was around the time that the only leather care product that Filson sold was Obenaufs. I do use a a few different brands of product. Obenaufs usually for my boots.

The specs on the Chemical Guys product does say that it can be used for a variety of leather goods including jackets, bags etc.

To clarify, I’m not suggesting or endorsing the product. Just wanted to show what I used this time around. I can post updated pictures in the future of the sleeve.
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. Fully understand this was a recommendation following a lack of options. I was just trying to call attention to anyone else who may see and consider this; there are much better options. Is this going to hurt anything? Certainly not, and it's a less hardcore option compared to Obenaufs.

But this is going to sit in that same lobby Lexol does (although this works more as a sealant). It works fine for treated leathers that truly don't have the same needs as fine leather goods. If you had some leather goods that needed serious conditioning, this isn't really going to do it. If you need very casual maintenance for lightly used items, then by all means.

Last edited:

Stratkat

Reaction score
This question is not directed toward me but I recently put some Obenauf's on a Filson leather bag that has leather similar to the sleeves. It was my first time using it and I guess I decided to jump in head first. I'm happy with how the bag turned out. The only thing to be cautious of is the build up of wax (Obenauf's is beeswax based) in the stitching holes. I had a little of that but decided it didn't bother me much. If it did, I might use a toothpick to gently pull some out. That would be very tedious work. The stitching holes on my piece were the handle tabs for a tote. Those holes are much larger than what can be found on these sleeves.

This reminds me, I really should put that bag in the window and let the sun heat it up to melt any build up a bit more. I'm guessing that will make a difference.

Obenauf's won't hurt the stitching, BTW. In fact, it will help preserve it. If it were me, I would use Obenauf's. Just be aware of the stitching holes. Or, maybe slather it on and use a hair dryer set to low to help melt it by the stitching when you are done.
Going forward, if there is treatment left in the threaded areas just brush it off after it dries with a horsehair shoe brush, just like you would a pair of shoes.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Going forward, if there is treatment left in the threaded areas just brush it off after it dries with a horsehair shoe brush, just like you would a pair of shoes.

Yep. Good suggestion. I tried that at the time and it worked well for the edges (leather piece sewn on another piece) or on seams. It didn't get into the holes much though. One of the Dauber brushes might be better suited for that. I did not try one of those.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads