• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NamelessStream

Reaction score
Woah! Nice score
Thanks, I'm pretty happy about it. I never thought I'd be able to afford a pair. I'll be sneaking up on the deer in style this year. AND I just got a pair of Filson x Sebago Osmores (the high-top boots with the grey/black mackinaw plaid wool) for $45, shipped, so I think I just completed my lifetime Filson footwear purchases for less than $200.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm last time I checked the nylon stuff from Filson that is made overseas is close to half of the cost of the domestic twill stuff...

I think you misunderstood my point. I’m referring to a single product being adjusted, only instead of increasing the price, they go the other direction...I know, so un-filson, it’s almost taboo even thinking about it.

In GORUCKs case the GR1 or GR2 is still made of the same material in Vietnam as their made in the USA counterparts, the only thing that isn’t the same is the labor costs. I don’t have a problem with capitalism, or a fair price increase from time to time, after all I did gladly pay full price for my Bedrock Mackinaw Cruiser, even though it’s virtually the same product as it was when priced lesser. I tried the eBay route twice at first, trying to find a Pre-Bedrock version, but that didn’t work out. One was too small, despite being my exact size, and the other had a tear under the collar. I decided buying, even at retail, was worth something I might have for several decades.

Although the Alaskan Fit does use more fabric then the trimmed Seattle Fit, so I could see costs rising as a result. I can’t find what Filson charged for it, but I think it was around $350, before the price increases.

Take the Journeyman for instance (I’ve used their reference before); the newest edition has cloth back straps instead of bridle leather, one less interior pocket and far less colors available, not to mention no riveted straps. Currently it’s priced greater then it was when first released, by $45 IIRC.

Last edited:

seven20

Reaction score
Just remember American made filson bags are made in Seattle. The cost of American labor, but more specifically the Seattle area has gone up significantly since the journeyman came out in 2012. I would also guarantee that the cost of materials has gone up as well.

WJR

Reaction score
Awesome new Filson collaboration.

View attachment 1450590

Loving that logo tag...a nod to the simpler timers when less was more

Just looked on the Filson website and this briefcase and the medium duffle both are showing out of stock. I am not in the market for one, but curious as to whether that means they sold out already or have not readied them for sale?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just remember American made filson bags are made in Seattle. The cost of American labor, but more specifically the Seattle area has gone up significantly since the journeyman came out in 2012. I would also guarantee that the cost of materials has gone up as well.

I’m not arguing that but still the Journeyman is still an interesting case study, considering I don’t think you are taking into account the decline of material/design that I mentioned in my reply, and the savings associated. Namely the less fabric needed (loss of pocket), the lack of bridle leather to cotton (back strap), the loss of brass rivets to simple thread. Those are savings you can actually hold in your hand. The amount alone should warrant a decrease in price rather then an increase, at the very least it shouldn’t have moved at all. I think it definitely tips the scales on the spectrum of Capitalism vs Capitalizing. Namely charging more for a product because they know people will still pay for it. Reminds me of Saddleback Leather, albeit not nearly as bad, thankfully.

Last edited:

seven20

Reaction score
Just looked on the Filson website and this briefcase and the medium duffle both are showing out of stock. I am not in the market for one, but curious as to whether that means they sold out already or have not readied them for sale?
Interesting thought, maybe not in stock yet? I saw this one earlier and it’s a much better tan than the other Dryden items too IMO

thewinedown

Reaction score
I think just not yet in stock.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter ( or at least autumn) is coming. I just acquired a vintage Schott 184sm - an A2 flying jacket style.
I’ve always wanted a Schott for its reputed quality. This one is late 70s or early 80s. It’s soft and supple and I think the rich colour in the leather is lovely. It’s a great match with 8111 Rangers.

It’s going to look good with tin vest and packer
AD85FAE2-83A6-48C2-81D8-F85A22D44B89.jpeg

Chunky Brass Ideal zip, and coated / painted snaps similar to those I’ve seen on same era Mac cruisers. Pretty leather in close up.

491AFC57-C2A6-402A-96E9-5E957D6DFE9B.jpeg

The quality, heritage, and air of classic Americana all feel very Filson - like. I chatted with Schott customer service briefly and they were super helpful and happy to help with dating and model details.

Any other Schott wearers here?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I have a Schott shearling bomber jacket that I've had for just over 30 years and worn very little. Sadly, it does not fit me anymore. Maybe this will be the year I finally move it along to a nice home. It's a wonderful jacket though and your combination above is very, very sharp, Speedy. It looks so great that I'm actually excited for fall for you! Great find and description. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaving after a very long and fun extended weekend at my parents. I had my car in for service nearby and they mistakenly ordered 2 different sets of tires lol. That just meant to me more delicious home cooked meals, family movie nights and terrific company. Sad to leave my 4 legged brother/roommate behind.

A funny size comparison.

94C43C6C-F3A1-483F-BBFE-C68713BB2526.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaving after a very long and fun extended weekend at my parents. I had my car in for service nearby and they mistakenly ordered 2 different sets of tires lol. That just meant to me more delicious home cooked meals, family movie nights and terrific company. Sad to leave my 4 legged brother/roommate behind.

A funny size comparison.

View attachment 1451651
I don’t see any Filson in the picture... ;)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG needs some Filson intervention.
He’s selling off his Filson bags and buying ‘other stuff’ ?

:lol: Good one guys. Put the thermometer down. Still have 3 Talon Era Filson’s left that I have zero plans on parting with (Open Tote, Compartment Case, 257). Still searching for my LTB as well, but in no rush whatsoever.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
:lol: Good one guys. Put the thermometer down. Still have 3 Talon Era Filson’s left that I have zero plans on parting with (Open Tote, Compartment Case, 257). Still searching for my LTB as well, but in no rush whatsoever.

Whew! That was a close one. I thought we were going to lose him there for a second. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads