• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could keep my eye out for a cheap aftermarket 48. I’ve found them for $125 before on rare occasions so even our template may not be that expensive if the costs were **** among the group. We could also choose our leather and wouldn’t be stuck with the brittle stuff they sometimes use these days. This idea is getting better and better...
In fairness, it would probably be possible to make a pattern from cheap fabric just by laying it over a 48 and allowing 1 inch seam allowance on all sides. Front pockets might be slightly harder.
Do this, get it stitched into a prototype to check it goes together. Do loose basting stitch, mark any changes and adjust. Then you have your tested template.

The tough part may be working out what order things need doing - eg front pockets on to the front of the bag BEFORE putting the sides and back together. And at what stage do the leather zip strips go on, etc.

All very doable though.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me that Filson isn't interested in doing a custom (10-20) bag. It's not in the gameplay of Bedrock to make custom items, just stuff that will sell to the general public. Too bad, as custom make-ups are a niche market, and those interested would probably pay a premium for such an item.

woodsjw

Reaction score
Why not contact Vermilyea Pelle and ask if the can reverse engineer one. Tell them what you’d like to have done. Perhaps the can come up with something similar but not and exact reproduction. I’d be in for one

This would be my vote. VP might actually consider doing it for 15-20 bags.

NamelessStream

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me that Filson isn't interested in doing a custom (10-20) bag. It's not in the gameplay of Bedrock to make custom items, just stuff that will sell to the general public. Too bad, as custom make-ups are a niche market, and those interested would probably pay a premium for such an item.
You'd think there would be some tailors/cobblers in the Seattle area who have worked on the Filson floor making bags.

Wandering

Reaction score
They're fairly easy to open and the leather is stiff enough (without being too stiff) to protect the contents. I recommend getting it here if you haven't already: https://www.nomadostore.com/products/the-superior-labor-small-purse?_pos=2&_sid=9dd6ac9cc&_ss=r
Thanks for your reply.

I actually have opted for the zip coin case on the suggestion of the owner of Nomado-store, some months ago. I do not regret it one bit; it's a perfect case for little in-ears like the IE800S. The stitched edges form little airbags to absorb shocks and the size is just perfect.
Moreover, the zip is very smooth (not abrasive). Oh, and the Italian-sourced leather smells great. I love it ?

CEPVV

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I actually have opted for the zip coin case on the suggestion of the owner of Nomado-store, some months ago. I do not regret it one bit; it's a perfect case for little in-ears like the IE800S. The stitched edges form little airbags to absorb shocks and the size is just perfect.
Moreover, the zip is very smooth (not abrasive). Oh, and the Italian-sourced leather smells great. I love it ?
Oh, I remember (that was me by the way). Glad you're still pleased with it :)

Reaction score
I bought a collection of stuff of a buddy this past weekend who knows that I specialize in selling Filson goods. Included in the lot was this gem, a L Talon Era Duffle. It's presently filled with all of the other goods I got off of him. The duffle needs some work but it's getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_9416.JPG
    IMG_9416.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7622.JPG
    IMG_7622.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 84

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
Spending two weeks in a condo on Sanibel Island and it feels good to get out and travel. Sharing my travel companions with you today. This was a road trip - so no worries about plane travel.

From left to right:
- Medium dry duffle bag (Green). Carried all our “extras” for things you need for the beach. Sunscreen, towels, water shoes, etc. On the way home, it will carry all our sandy shoes, collected shells, and whatever else can fit. Great bag. Holds a ton.
- My trusty 256 (Tan) This trip was part work, part chill. Had to bring the laptop.
- 48 hour duffle (Green) All you haters out there, this is a GREAT bag. :) Held my shorts, socks, t shirts etc.
- Twill travel tray (orange, tan). Really amazing how this little thing keeps all your junk organized and clean on the side table. Hold Wallet, keya, lip balm Etc. do yourself a favor and call the clearance center and get one.
- Filson snap wallet (brown leather, in the travel tray). First time with a Filson wallet and I’d say it “won’t be my last” but I’d be lying because it will probably outlast me.
- Filson suit cover (Root). Spur of the moment buy on Sierra trading post. Really glad I picked it up because it’s fantastic. I like the color root too.

If you look closely through the sliding glass door, you’ll see the Gulf of Mexico.

Humans are designed to travel!

Attachments

• 0F780C37-41E7-40E4-ACDB-EE0696B415C3.jpeg
    0F780C37-41E7-40E4-ACDB-EE0696B415C3.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 80

NamelessStream

Reaction score
- Twill travel tray (orange, tan). Really amazing how this little thing keeps all your junk organized and clean on the side table. Hold Wallet, keya, lip balm Etc. do yourself a favor and call the clearance center and get one.
I had ordered a pair of these last week from the clearance outlet in Seattle, but the sales agent emailed me yesterday to say my order had been cancelled because they're no longer shipping to Canada.
Luckily, I've got one in black from the Eagan MN outlet. Highly recommended, in any colour, if you can still find them.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had ordered a pair of these last week from the clearance outlet in Seattle, but the sales agent emailed me yesterday to say my order had been cancelled because they're no longer shipping to Canada.
Luckily, I've got one in black from the Eagan MN outlet. Highly recommended, in any colour, if you can still find them.

Not to try and detract from the latent current love for the Filson Travel Tray but I was always more akin to what Red Oxx (made in Montana) offered in collapsible travel trays. Albeit, they are not as elegant, but you can fit much more into them

seven20

Reaction score
Not to try and detract from the latent current love for the Filson Travel Tray but I was always more akin to what Red Oxx (made in Montana) offered in collapsible travel trays. Albeit, they are not as elegant, but you can fit much more into them

Interesting company and products. Padded nylon isn’t personally my cup of tea in a travel tray

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting company and products. Padded nylon isn’t personally my cup of tea in a travel tray

That’s okay, nor is Rugged Twill for mine. When you consider what it’s holding and the thousands of dollars of those items added up; like a wallet & watch, it kinda makes sense having something that isn’t too scratchy and allows you more real estate to properly lay them flat without having to stack. Personally would rather have something that’s velvet lined like my current setup (cigar box), but for travel purposes the Red Oxx more that ticks the boxes. In this rare case function is more important to me then the form it arrives in.

3E20E2BC-7382-479F-8748-652DEAE84D47.jpeg

C8AFC697-3A88-48E9-B3CC-FAB37E7C40CA.jpeg

There is always going the leather route, and I’m not ruling one out in the future. Problem is keeping the cost relatively low, especially for an item that will see very little usage, and with quality leather comes the bump in prices (usually). I say usually because not every company charges an arm and a leg for quality and uniqueness. Companies like Billykirk at $47

4E54FAAD-2BF7-45B0-AEB6-A8BC512F4BE3.jpeg

I was actually going to pick up a large one of these with the Bronco embossing, but the one thing that stopped me was how shallow the sides are

5CCC48B4-CBCC-48EF-9155-999E3C043040.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads