• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I just watched this video which they state 175 256 bags every day. That's over 38k 256 alone.

Perfect! This was the video I was thinking of. Thanks for looking it up. Nice job, thewinedown!! Duh, why not try the source? LOL

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for checking this out. You are right: the question is whether that’s a consistent number for 30 years or whether it was historically more or less. Arguments could be made for more or for less.
So what do we conclude? More than 1 million and less than 3 million?

If that 80K is for the US market alone then it's probably closer to 2 million in a span of 28 years, and that is actually being rather conservative for the first 12 years of production pre-internet. But if it doesn't include Asia and Europe's production segment, then I'd wager it's over 3 million. Through eBay you can buy Filson products from other countries, so that figure has to be updated to reflect their production numbers, if it's not already bifurcated.

Last edited:

seven20

Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for checking this out. You are right: the question is whether that’s a consistent number for 30 years or whether it was historically more or less. Arguments could be made for more or for less.
So what do we conclude? More than 1 million and less than 3 million?
I think it's safe to say that they made far less in previous years - especially though the 90s.

Stratkat

Reaction score
that's a staggering amount, much more than I would have thought!

Stratkat

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that they made far less in previous years - especially though the 90s.
I would tend to agree with this too. there have been a lot of manufacturing advances in the last 10years. CNC goes back aways, but how many manufacturers embraced it right off?

Stratkat

Reaction score
LL Bean comes to mind. they have always made the 'Bean hunting boot', but a whole new generation embraced it and for a couple of years they had all kinds of problems meeting orders, especially around the holidays. they finally had to obtain new machines, add employees to meet the demand. another fantastic USA made product by the way

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean comes to mind. they have always made the 'Bean hunting boot', but a whole new generation embraced it and for a couple of years they had all kinds of problems meeting orders, especially around the holidays. they finally had to obtain new machines, add employees to meet the demand. another fantastic USA made product by the way
2 pairs right here in rural England. I wear them a lot in the wet of autumn and spring. More comfortable than Wellingtons and pairs well with the Filson aesthetic I feel.

thewinedown

Reaction score
2 pairs right here in rural England. I wear them a lot in the wet of autumn and spring. More comfortable than Wellingtons and pairs well with the Filson aesthetic I feel.
I’ve always had a pair ever since I was a little kid. There’s never a year when they don’t come in handy for a nasty weather day.

WJR

Reaction score
I have had one pair of Bean boots for 30 years or so. Got another pair last year and they do have some minor differences but quality is still the same.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I have had one pair of Bean boots for 30 years or so. Got another pair last year and they do have some minor differences but quality is still the same.
Well to be fair there are 2 versions, the hunting boot, and the Bean boot, which has a different label and sole composition

dangaa

Reaction score
I was responding before from my phone. I was wrong about that being the same pattern I am after. I’m looking for this:

View attachment 1438547

in XL, please. I’m sorry for the confusion. It’s the same Jac Shirt you linked though. Only the cloth pattern is different. All of my other comments remain valid.

Circling back to this I just got my Jac Shirt today and went with my size based on the size chart without sizing up. Extremely comfortable and I have room to spare to even wear a thin sweater underneath. I plan on wearing this as a jacket so it's perfect.

Very happy with the quality of the fabric - I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for other colorways. Scored one new for just over $200 CAD shipped which is fantastic value. Would love to add the green one as well to the wardrobe.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pickup from the Summer sale. Got the dopp bag in cinder. I think folks here think it's too big, but it's just perfect for me. I travel with my electric shaver, which takes up a lot of real estate. If you travel with just toothpaste, razor, tylenol...yes, it would be too big.
ZT0ts62.jpg

iRU0Lig.jpg

Stratkat

Reaction score
My pickup from the Summer sale. Got the dopp bag in cinder. I think folks here think it's too big, but it's just perfect for me. I travel with my electric shaver, which takes up a lot of real estate. If you travel with just toothpaste, razor, tylenol...yes, it would be too big.
ZT0ts62.jpg

iRU0Lig.jpg
I’m was disappointed because I really liked the build quality. I’m glad to hear you can make it work!

thewinedown

Reaction score
ZT0ts62.jpg

iRU0Lig.jpg
Is it the same size as the nylon version?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads