• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Yep, that's why I said to me. However, if my 257 continues to get worn and it's b/c of my use then I'll never stop loving it. Maybe that's the key, in the car world 'built vs bought'
ive always held that opinion, much rather have the item reflect my miles.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s an interesting question about how many total bags exist.

let’s try this math:
Assume 10 staff members making 5 bags a day. (This might be conservative) = 50 per day.
220 working days a year = 11000 per year
30 years of production = 330,000 total bags.

thoughts?

A JEDI IM

Reaction score

let’s try this math:
Assume 10 staff members making 5 bags a day. (This might be conservative) = 50 per day.

thoughts?

There was a video I watched recently that I swear was linked on this thread a few months ago. In that video, I think there was a mention of how many of a particular bag were made in a day. If I ever have time, I'll try to track down what I'm talking about. I likely won't have time for the next week but I thought I would mention it here just in case it jogs anyone's memory. It is possible the video was not linked here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

let’s try this math:

thoughts?

If this were a continuation of the Talon Era that pre-dated the internet age of supply and demand, I think that estimation would have merit, especially when these bags were being built by skilled craftsmen. However, pre-pandemic, Filson has seen a tremendous vamp in production both in internet and retail location alike, not to mention an increase in storefronts. With increased demand comes increased supply, which fit in nicely with the overseas production of certain luggage and garment items. One also has to take into consideration the production and supply internationally (since eBay doesn't discriminate). Asia and Europe were both big Filson markets at one point, and still remain to this day in select countries. In the USA, Filson introduced more proficient assembly line procedures more then a decade ago, so I think it's safe to safe that estimation is considerably understated.

Last edited:

thewinedown

Reaction score

let’s try this math:

thoughts?
Pretty good math but I’d agree that’s conservative. Only 10 staffers? I’d guess more like 30. And probably more like 5-10 bags per hours each, if done in a production line fashion to keep things efficient, a la Mr. Ford.

seven20

Reaction score

let’s try this math:

thoughts?
It's an interesting thought. I am not sure I would think 5 bags a day is too conservative. Between cutting and stitching I would say 5 bags in 8 hours is doing pretty good. What may be conservative is number of people on the floor making bags. I am sure someone who has been to Filson's Seattle manufacturing can chime in.

I worked in a marine upholstery shop for a few (7 maybe?) years in high school and college. I have done a lot of upholstery sewing for boats over the years, usually for my own boats as it's my dad's business. He restores antique wood boats and I was never allowed to touch those. That doesn't make me an expert on creating canvas/twill/leather bags, but I have a descent skill set with industrial upholstering and understanding of the trade.

If they have more of a production line setup vs a one off with each person doing all things for a bag, maybe they are making multiple bags an hour. I have been to the Mastercraft plant and seen how they cut and sew upholstery and it's incredible. They cut with a water jet and the seat covers are produced very quickly.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting thought. I am not sure I would think 5 bags a day is too conservative. Between cutting and stitching I would say 5 bags in 8 hours is doing pretty good. What may be conservative is number of people on the floor making bags. I am sure someone who has been to Filson's Seattle manufacturing can chime in.

I worked in a marine upholstery shop for a few (7 maybe?) years in high school and college. I have done a lot of upholstery sewing for boats over the years, usually for my own boats as it's my dad's business. He restores antique wood boats and I was never allowed to touch those. That doesn't make me an expert on creating canvas/twill/leather bags, but I have a descent skill set with industrial upholstering and understanding of the trade.

If they have more of a production line setup vs a one off with each person doing all things for a bag, maybe they are making multiple bags an hour. I have been to the Mastercraft plant and seen how they cut and sew upholstery and it's incredible. They cut with a water jet and the seat covers are produced very quickly.
I agree with this. I don’t even think one individual is creating a full 5 bags per day. If they are super efficient, possibly, but the are still stitched with a sewing machine and there are a lot of pieces to each bag. In one of the catalogs there was a photo of all the pieces in a rucksack and it was crazy to see.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Inquiring minds wanted to know, so I chatted with Filson. See screenshot below. 80,000 bags per year! Google tells me that there are 261 working days per year (in 2019, non leap year). That equates to 306.5 bags produced per day.

80,000 x 30 years = 2.4 million (if production has stayed consistent for 30 years straight)

Filson.JPG

seven20

Reaction score
I agree with this. I don’t even think one individual is creating a full 5 bags per day. If they are super efficient, possibly, but the are still stitched with a sewing machine and there are a lot of pieces to each bag. In one of the catalogs there was a photo of all the pieces in a rucksack and it was crazy to see.
Inquiring minds wanted to know, so I chatted with Filson. See screenshot below. 80,000 bags per year! Google tells me that there are 261 working days per year (in 2019, non leap year). That equates to 306.5 bags produced per day.

80,000 x 30 years = 2.4 million (if production has stayed consistent for 30 years straight)

View attachment 1440437
I just watched this video which they state 175 256 bags every day. That's over 38k 256 alone.

thewinedown

Reaction score

View attachment 1440437
I just watched this video which they state 175 256 bags every day. That's over 38k 256 alone.

It is their best seller, so I could see how it could account for almost half of their bag sales.

seven20

Reaction score
It is their best seller, so I could see how it could account for almost half of their bag sales.
I found it interesting that the 258 is their second best selling bag. People online always talk about how big it is, etc etc.

I currently have one in my possession and while it isn't my bag, I really like it a lot more than I expected.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1440437
Very interesting, thanks for checking this out. You are right: the question is whether that’s a consistent number for 30 years or whether it was historically more or less. Arguments could be made for more or for less.
So what do we conclude? More than 1 million and less than 3 million?

FilsonDude

Reaction score
I found it interesting that the 258 is their second best selling bag. People online always talk about how big it is, etc etc.

I currently have one in my possession and while it isn't my bag, I really like it a lot more than I expected.

258 is a great bag

I’ve got many bags right now and I’ll eventually have to dwindle down but the 258 will definitely be one of the “keepers”

seven20

Reaction score
258 is a great bag

I’ve got many bags right now and I’ll eventually have to dwindle down but the 258 will definitely be one of the “keepers”
Being able to put the work laptop in an outer (interior) pocket is absolutely the best thing I’ve seen. When I had my 257 in grad school and went after work I carried a 13” personal MacBook Pro and a 15 inch dell for work every day. Having to put the 15 inch in the middle was annoying at times. I know it’s en edge case but if I had known the 258 would hold both computers in the outer pockets, leaving the middle open, it would have been a no brained purchase for me back then.

edit: also a huge fan of the front pocket

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads