• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Planning to do a test pack this weekend too.. Guess it's subjective to each person's needs. Ideally, I'd like to fit a pair of dress shoes, a couple dress shirts, pair of slacks, sport coat, etc along with computer stuff.. I could quickly see the dress shoes being a huge problem though so the duffle and 256 would probably work best in these situations..If it works, it'll be a tight fit
I’m find every time I show up in a sport coat and tie lately, I’m the only one! We had a major meeting with an airline and I was surprised at how casual both sides were, I actually had the dress down!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a line on a 258 for $100 plus shipping. Used but looks to be very good condition and maybe YKK zippers. But since I have a 256 already, is this just a needless purchase? Clearly there is some size difference, but is it worth it? Maybe there is a niche the 258 just fits better.

I got one better for you. A Talon Era #258 with a great Filson Repair Dept sewing job. It looks to be in decent shape for its age too, with minimal patina. Price: $170 + $15 shipping

258.PNG

seven20

Reaction score
I got one better for you. A Talon Era #258 with a great Filson Repair Dept sewing job. It looks to be in decent shape for its age too, with minimal patina. Price: $170 + $15 shipping

View attachment 1439861
It’s a cool bag, but I wouldn’t say minimal patina. It definitely has some stories to tell and could use a leather conditioning

singjai

Reaction score
I’m find every time I show up in a sport coat and tie lately, I’m the only one! We had a major meeting with an airline and I was surprised at how casual both sides were, I actually had the dress down!
Very fair statement and I've been in plenty of those situations (minus the tie, I'm not a fan of ties..)! I'm a consultant at one of the Big 4s and our rule of thumb is to try and dress a level up when visiting clients (i.e. if client is business casual, wear a jacket). But generally if you're unsure, it's better to play it safe...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a cool bag, but I wouldn’t say minimal patina. It definitely has some stories to tell and could use a leather conditioning

Believe me in the world of vintage Talon Era Filson's that is considered minimal. After 7 vintage Filson's I have it pretty much down to a science on what to look for.

This

258.PNG

VS This

patina.jpg

Last edited:

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Question:

what’s the general consensus on when the white build tag came into play?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"At some point It's ok to throw something out"

Some people prefer playing it safe and buying new and others prefer rolling the dice and buying vintage. There are no right answers here. Stick to your strong suit.

Reaction score
Heard some news from one of my Filson friends tonight that may interest some of you. Apparently Filson is looking at closing a slew of stores in order to try and survive the pandemic. Seattle(x2), NY and Portland would be the only stores that survive the bloodletting. Trying to get more details on it but that's what I'm hearing.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heard some news from one of my Filson friends tonight that may interest some of you. Apparently Filson is looking at closing a slew of stores in order to try and survive the pandemic. Seattle(x2), NY and Portland would be the only stores that survive the bloodletting. Trying to get more details on it but that's what I'm hearing.

NYC has two store locations. A smaller more intimate setting on Great Jones Street and a Flagship location further uptown closer to Union Square Park. Personally I prefer the smaller store to the Flagship, so I hope they both survive. Excellent intel though, thank you very much for sharing that with us. Sad times for sure. Huge companies like Walmart and WaWa are only strengthening and smaller mom and pops or niche brands like Filson are really struggling to stay afloat. This country was founded on Small Business and they make up the fabric of most neighborhoods. I say that as a former Small Business Owner and as a patron of many.

Stratkat

Reaction score
"At some point It's ok to throw something out"

Some people prefer playing it safe and buying new and others prefer rolling the dice and buying vintage. There are no right answers here. Stick to your strong suit.
True enough! Would you actually want that one though???

Stratkat

Reaction score
That is indeed sad news, I really like the one in DC. Haven been there since the pandemic broke.

Reaction score
NYC has two store locations. A smaller more intimate setting on Great Jones Street and a Flagship location further uptown closer to Union Square Park. Personally I prefer the smaller store to the Flagship, so I hope they both survive. Excellent intel though, thank you very much for sharing that with us. Sad times for sure. Huge companies like Walmart and WaWa are only strengthening and smaller mom and pops or niche brands like Filson are really struggling to stay afloat. This country was founded on Small Business and they make up the fabric of most neighborhoods. I say that as a former Small Business Owner and as a patron of many.
From what I hear, both NY locations will stick around.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great Jones has already closed. They sent a bunch of stuff to Naperville. Apparently it was already in the works to close because it was simply too close to the NYC flagship. Didn’t make economic sense to have 2 stores that close to each other is what I was told. Was talking to the manager there a couple weeks back and he didn’t mention the Naperville store being in jeopardy. I would honestly be surprised if they did a mass closing of retail stores since the biggest expense is the lease and you have to pay that anyways until the end of the lease agreement, many of which can easily be 3-5 years. Not to say it’s impossible, but it would be an absolutely horrific business decision to close a store like Naperville before it’s been open a year. Obviously if bankruptcy is on the table it could be possible, but I doubt that it is at this point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads