• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I've had a few chances to carry OMG's Journeyman... I love the bag. As some of you know, I've got a rucksack that I won't part with, but use it less than I could... there's not much organization to it and it carries a bit uncomfortably. I wasn't on the hunt, but as you know, he offered an awesome price for a riveted Journeyman. Since I've had it a few weeks and have gone in to work a handful of times, I've had the chance to carry it as I would normally intend. It's a very comfortable bag to carry and still has the classic Filson look, and it pairs well with the rest of my bags, which are primarily tan and navy. I love the combination of twill and tin cloth. It's also perfectly patina'd. I also have to say that OMG shipped the bag super fast and packed it with great care! Thanks, @OtterMeanGreen!

My pleasure Lina, glad it went to a good home and will get regular exercise, rather then being a dust queen. We'll have to give it a new name as "OMG's Journeyman" no longer fits the bill. Crazy how Filson's not only hold onto to their value but they get passed around more times then Bob Marley's Peace Pipe. I believe you are at least the third owner of that Journeyman. Thank you for taking the time to carry it first before posting your review. I myself couldn't wait to post my GoRuck reveal and hadn't carried it for even a day before posting. Luckily for me I absolutely love that bag, and it was money well spent. I wish you a long and happy journey with your Journeyman....or JourneyGirl (eh I tried) :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Saturday with a touch of redwing ! View attachment 1437950

I noticed we have very similar button pin locations. I once was thinking about starting a side of my #264 in Filson buttons, but it no longer appeals to me. Reminds me too much of the 1980’s punk scene. I was inspired by this first edition Talon when I visited my first Filson Store in NYC (Great Jones Street).

DAD74648-8135-41C8-AA31-6566CD33C974.jpeg

Coincidentally by the register was a jar of Filson Buttons, so I picked one that I could remember the 2 hours I spent in total awe, trying on Filson coats and touching everything I could get my hands on.

E36035C1-F93D-497F-B3D5-0D11866F84DA.jpeg

92CF4D09-1EEE-4850-A14F-D44FB8D7CEC1.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1438094 View attachment 1438093 View attachment 1438086
This has been my work carry tool bag for many years.
I carry it daily to perform work duties. I've tried many different tool bags, this size has meet my needs best.

BY any chance do you still have the #266 shown in your avatar? I had one just like it. Sold it to a fellow member here. Like I mentioned above Filson’s get passed around quite often, and that was the case here. I believe it’s on its fourth owner now.

8F953DD5-C71B-4547-A1C4-1E4F7F3A1D01.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been waiting for this thing all week... The pictures looked good when I bought it but I'm still surprised at how mint this is..Everything is still super stiff. I was holding out for a 240 as my daily non-work carry but I think this 257 just replaced it.

View attachment 1438129
View attachment 1438130
View attachment 1438099

The vintage trio..
View attachment 1438157
View attachment 1438101 View attachment 1438103 View attachment 1438102

Congratulations! That was quite the find. That OG Talon #257 just might be in better condition then mine, when it first arrived. Like yours the Twill (interior and exterior) was super stiff. Was the price you paid as good as mine? I think I paid something like $295 for mine. I could easily sell it for twice that now...but don't count on it. Even as a minimalist, that is one bag I am never parting with. Although since selling my Journeyman, I now have more of an excuse to use it as I no longer have any bags in that EDC segment.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Straw poll: What discontinued Filson item are you most interested in owning?
For me, it would be the Outfitter bag.

Nice game. Well since I can't admit my #257 into this pole, even if it is still my Dream Filson, I will have to tip my cap to the current bag I want. First Edition Talon Large Travel Bag (LTB) #248 in Otter Green.

248.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to learn about these Outfitter bags and I'm starting to recognize the difference in how they look. That last picture is the #239, the XL Outfitter, not the #238, the L Outfitter.

I'm not trying to be an ass here with the nits I'm picking. I just know we all use this thread as a reference so it seams like a good idea to mention it. No offense meant at all.

In my research, when I was originally looking for an Outfitter Bag (namely the LOB), I discovered that the XL Outfitter has a bigger bottom compartment then the LOB, but the Large has a bigger top section. Since I would be using the top compartment more then the bottom, the decision was easy for me. However with the LTB, I have interior organization, which all Outfitter Bags lack altogether.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping you’d reply, mgrennier, as I have seen that you are an avid Eagle Creak-user. Thanks for the feedback. Makes it much easier to buy online when I know for sure they will work ?

Fellow Packing Cube fan here. For me personally, I much prefer this clean look

A30E8B1F-9B95-40EB-85A8-51086B0D44D6.jpeg

Instead of

FE1A0739-E373-4AEE-9358-E28A4DE67595.jpeg

Makes packing and organization that much more streamlined IMO

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been off grid for the last week and just checked in to find 170 new posts! You guys have been busy!! My wife and I took a trip up to the top of the lower peninsula of Michigan and it was really wonderful to get away from all the craziness and get out in nature for a little while. We aren’t exactly light packers. @speedy611 can attest to this... here is a full list of the Filson bags brought on the trip.

Check in Roller Bag (wifes bag)
Medium Duffle
Small duffle (wifes bag)
FRD Open Tote
Ranger Backpack
Compartment Case Cooler (for beer)
Denim Briefcase (for work)

Honorable non-bag mentions go to my USFS tin cloth hat, Smokey shirt, Moleskin over-shirt (older thick black version is incredible) and Towel, which was quite the nice addition this year.

Sadly, I failed to photograph them all at the same time. I did however manage to get a few pictures from our escapades. Fun to come back to see all the awesome dialogue.

View attachment 1439091

View attachment 1439093
View attachment 1439094
View attachment 1439095 View attachment 1439100

Awesome pictures Tinman! Looks like a fun trip, which is what everyone here needs to take ASAFP! I was set to go on my first ever Cruise with my Twin Brother, then this happened.

BTW I couldn't help but think of this line when I saw you all decked out in Filson :fonz:

singjai

Reaction score
Congratulations! That was quite the find. That OG Talon #257 just might be in better condition then mine, when it first arrived. Like yours the Twill (interior and exterior) was super stiff. Was the price you paid as good as mine? I think I paid something like $295 for mine. I could easily sell it for twice that now...but don't count on it. Even as a minimalist, that is one bag I am never parting with. Although since selling my Journeyman, I now have more of an excuse to use it as I no longer have any bags in that EDC segment.

Yeah I would swear this thing was unused... the leather strap and handles are really stiff too and don’t have much give to them, hence why you see the handle standing up on its own.

Coincidentally, I got it on eBay for the same exact price lol. $295+shipping and tax. More than what I paid for any of my bags (including the outfitter) but this being an OG Talon 257 in that condition, I had to take that jump lol.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what conditions them being stored in would deter the vintage smell. Half of my talons had the same noticeable vintage smell but the other half had no smell at all. Sounds like a hit and miss for some of these.

Personally I would encourage that glorious vintage smell. I would bottle it up and spray all of my Filson's with it if I could and maybe even my new GoRuck :lol: . My noseparts must've gotten use to them because the smell went away for years, until I packed it away in a huge ziplock bag and sealed it up for a couple of months. When I opened it to use it after selling my Journeyman, I was hit with a huge whiff of it and it nearly knocked me over. I found the secret formula it seems.

Please tell me I am not the only one that sees this? Once you see it...it cannot be unseen. I can't help but think he is in need of a pair of pants like Mr. Lesley Chow in The Hangover when he jumps out of the trunk with that tire iron and starts swinging.

hmmm.PNG

Never seen patina like this before, even the leather has some interesting patterns of wear.

interesting patina.PNG

seven20

Reaction score
Personally I would encourage that glorious vintage smell. I would bottle it up and spray all of my Filson's with it if I could and maybe even my new GoRuck :lol: . My noseparts must've gotten use to them because the smell went away for years, until I packed it away in a huge ziplock bag and sealed it up for a couple of months. When I opened it to use it after selling my Journeyman, I was hit with a huge whiff of it and it nearly knocked me over. I found the secret formula it seems.

Please tell me I am not the only one that sees this? Once you see it...it cannot be unseen. I can't help but think he is in need of a pair of pants like Mr. Lesley Chow in The Hangover when he jumps out of the trunk with that tire iron and starts swinging.

View attachment 1439626

Never seen patina like this before, even the leather has some interesting patterns of wear.

View attachment 1439628
What do you think that old 257 will go for? It’s pretty rough but some like that. At 120” tall it has definitely stretched over the years!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a very interesting topic, especially for those of us that have multiple Filson bags. The reality of foreseeable future is that we may not use them as much as we'd like, either!

I've always thought that, instead of a cool, dark basement, it would be better to have them more exposed to sunlight occasionally. My 'extra' Filson bags (48 hour, 257, med field bag, journeyman backpack, pullman, sportsman) go through varying stages of rotation. At biggest risk is the Pullman which is buried at the bottom of my closet and has been for months.

I really wonder what the best answer here is.

To me, it feels like an occasional airing out with exposure to sunlight would be the best solution, but I'll follow this thread closely for advice.

It appears I have the best solution...Minimalism. Each bag gets used equally as much and no longer sits purposeless waiting to be utilized. My #257 is finally once again my EDC, the #264 will soon become my range bag and companion to my GoRuck when traveling, the #260 is my Hobby Bag used primarily for my cigars and whiskey. Once I get my Subaru STI I can pull the trigger on the LTB, which will serve as a trunk organizer and car trip bag. The GoRuck is now my 1-5 night trip bag.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would swear this thing was unused... the leather strap and handles are really stiff too and don’t have much give to them, hence why you see the handle standing up on its own.

Coincidentally, I got it on eBay for the same exact price lol. $295+shipping and tax. More than what I paid for any of my bags (including the outfitter) but this being an OG Talon 257 in that condition, I had to take that jump lol.

Wow what a funny coincidence. What a steal!! It maybe more then what you are accustomed to paying, but that is incredibly undervalued. Even at $400 that is a good deal for the old worlde preserved quality you are getting. Much like mine, that seller had no idea what he was holding onto, lightning in a bottle.

@seven20 good catch. Doubtful it is 10 feet tall, unless the seller is Jack and out back is his beanstalk. :lol:

Stratkat

Reaction score
In my research, when I was originally looking for an Outfitter Bag (namely the LOB), I discovered that the XL Outfitter has a bigger bottom compartment then the LOB, but the Large has a bigger top section. Since I would be using the top compartment more then the bottom, the decision was easy for me. However with the LTB, I have interior organization, which all Outfitter Bags lack altogether.
They have 2 interior pockets one on each side, full length, in addition to the end pockets and 2 zippered on each side

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman and Lady I just want to thank everyone here for adding so much value to the conversation over the years. To our newer members, welcome, it's been a pleasure having you aboard and learning about your love of this great brand. Can''t believe we hit the big 20,000 mark. What an honor it has been sharing memories, life experiences and some really great Filson stories, not to mention all of the other non-Filson posts. Here's to another 20K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads