• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I'm thinking you might want to try silica gel packs, the kind they ship in shoeboxes and mass-market luggage. It has the advantage of drawing water out of the air, so if it's in a sealed bin, it's a dry sealed bin.

How long does silica last though? I'll research later. Thanks for forcing my hand to do so.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Spit balling here, but what about an open box of baking soda? Works in your fridge, couldn't hurt in storage.

I'm thinking this is good for odors in the air but not so good for preventing the musty smell we are talking about. This is not direct knowledge talking. This is only me shooting from the hip.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is good for odors in the air but not so good for preventing the musty smell we are talking about. This is not direct knowledge talking. This is only me shooting from the hip.
This is a very interesting topic, especially for those of us that have multiple Filson bags. The reality of foreseeable future is that we may not use them as much as we'd like, either!

I've always thought that, instead of a cool, dark basement, it would be better to have them more exposed to sunlight occasionally. My 'extra' Filson bags (48 hour, 257, med field bag, journeyman backpack, pullman, sportsman) go through varying stages of rotation. At biggest risk is the Pullman which is buried at the bottom of my closet and has been for months.

I really wonder what the best answer here is.

To me, it feels like an occasional airing out with exposure to sunlight would be the best solution, but I'll follow this thread closely for advice.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
To me, it feels like an occasional airing out with exposure to sunlight would be the best solution, but I'll follow this thread closely for advice.

I agree with this. But, I have several (or maybe a dozen (cough...or more) that are going to fall into your Pullman category. They might sit for a year or more until I'm able to put them into the rotation. And, the timeline is even greater given our current virus situation. For reference, I have several bags I've been storing in a plastic bin on my first floor. They've been in there for for close to a couple years without me actually using some of them. Although I've opened the bin and pulled others out every now and then. As I get closer to actually doing my project I'll stick my nose into them to be sure there is no scent. I don't believe there is.

I have some shelving ordered. It won't be delivered until the end of the month. I'm hoping I'll have my bags organized and where I want them by the end of September. I'll document whatever I do so that it is memorialized here. In the meantime, I'll keep gathering advice.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one 24 hr bag that smells like an old canvas tent, I have tried baking soda (no impact) Silica Gel (no impact), activated charcoal (no impact), leaving it out in the sun (no impact)....various deodorizers from Freebreeze to industrial strength ones and the smell remains. I have yet to throw it in a washing machine, and then try drying it on a clothesline, but it's not worth the effort, I have just relegated it to trunk of the car storage of stuff like jumper cables and tools, etc. Bought a newer one to replace it.

seven20

Reaction score
I have one 24 hr bag that smells like an old canvas tent, I have tried baking soda (no impact) Silica Gel (no impact), activated charcoal (no impact), leaving it out in the sun (no impact)....various deodorizers from Freebreeze to industrial strength ones and the smell remains. I have yet to throw it in a washing machine, and then try drying it on a clothesline, but it's not worth the effort, I have just relegated it to trunk of the car storage of stuff like jumper cables and tools, etc. Bought a newer one to replace it.
I remember many pics of your 24 hour prior to lockdown. Didn’t you get a navy during the sale?

seven20

Reaction score
This is a very interesting topic, especially for those of us that have multiple Filson bags. The reality of foreseeable future is that we may not use them as much as we'd like, either!

I've always thought that, instead of a cool, dark basement, it would be better to have them more exposed to sunlight occasionally. My 'extra' Filson bags (48 hour, 257, med field bag, journeyman backpack, pullman, sportsman) go through varying stages of rotation. At biggest risk is the Pullman which is buried at the bottom of my closet and has been for months.

I really wonder what the best answer here is.

You hit on the hardest part of picking up bags at some of the steal of prices that we’ve seen lately - it’s a good deal, but when will I ever use it? I mean I did but the medium duffle so I’m not saying we shouldn’t buy, but it’s weird I’m buying things to use in the future bc of deals currently

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
You hit on the hardest part of picking up bags at some of the steal of prices that we’ve seen lately - it’s a good deal, but when will I ever use it? I mean I did but the medium duffle so I’m not saying we shouldn’t buy, but it’s weird I’m buying things to use in the future bc of deals currently

You see, this is exactly why you should be paying attention to what I ultimately do here. :D I'm only half joking.

You are correct about me/us finding and capitalizing on incredible deals. Eventually I will thin the herd a bit. Until then, I might as well just call myself a collector and be done with it. Yeah. Yeah. I'm a collector who is auditioning bags to see which ones fit me the best. Yeah. That's it. I'm going with that. I feel better. I feel like we accomplished something today. ;)

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a lot of discussion about removing smells a year or two back. If I recall @mgrennier tried vodka and also white vinegar. (Drink enough vodka and the smell goes...!).
I’ve found multiple goings over with white vinegar and lots of sunlight to be effective on waxed garments.
I believe that this is all about controlling mold spore growth. If there is a food source like wax and some humidity then stuff can grow. As long as you can properly kill it (vinegar + UV) then it won’t regrow if kept dry. But for old stuff the spores are deep and very hard to fully eradicate.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You see, this is exactly why you should be paying attention to what I ultimately do here. :D I'm only half joking.

You are correct about me/us finding and capitalizing on incredible deals. Eventually I will thin the herd a bit. Until then, I might as well just call myself a collector and be done with it. Yeah. Yeah. I'm a collector who is auditioning bags to see which ones fit me the best. Yeah. That's it. I'm going with that. I feel better. I feel like we accomplished something today. ;)
Nice work, A JEDI IM - Right before the craziness happened, I bought myself a medium field bag - bought it locally on FB marketplace. Thought it might be a replacement for my 256 (it was a good deal - too good to pass up). Since that day about 6 months ago, it has been leaning against my home office desk. Unused, uncarried, unloved.

Mocking me.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is totally it though. Your first Filson bag is an experiment. You will inherently like some things and dislike others, so you may try something else and end up liking it more or maybe not! Is it possible to get lucky and pick the perfect bag for you on the first go around? Sure, but unlikely. Getting bags at these prices and trying them out is a great idea. Selling later is always an option and you probably won’t lose on them (as long as sales like these don’t keep flowing in, which I can’t imagine Filson could afford to do long term).

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a lot of discussion about removing smells a year or two back. If I recall @mgrennier tried vodka and also white vinegar. (Drink enough vodka and the smell goes...!).
I’ve found multiple goings over with white vinegar and lots of sunlight to be effective on waxed garments.
I believe that this is all about controlling mold spore growth. If there is a food source like wax and some humidity then stuff can grow. As long as you can properly kill it (vinegar + UV) then it won’t regrow if kept dry. But for old stuff the spores are deep and very hard to fully eradicate.
Yep, I tried everything under the sun (including the sun). It was an zippered tote bag that I so wanted to love. I tried:
- vodka
- white vinegar
- charcoal
- every spray that Walmart sells (febreze, etc.)
- etc.

I finally gave up and threw it in the washing machine (after which I quickly refinished the leather with obenaufs).

NOTHING worked. Finally sold it online somewhere.

Also - I decided then and there that I'm not a tote guy.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice work, A JEDI IM - Right before the craziness happened, I bought myself a medium field bag - bought it locally on FB marketplace. Thought it might be a replacement for my 256 (it was a good deal - too good to pass up). Since that day about 6 months ago, it has been leaning against my home office desk. Unused, uncarried, unloved.

Mocking me.
You guys have it all wrong. These bags are roaming the internet, lost and unloved. You are - like a batch of unwanted puppies - providing a roof and space with their kind. Would they like a walk out now and then? Sure. But they would rather have a home than be stuck there on fleabay or farcebork to be gawped at by passing idiots who don’t know their talon from their toes.
Thank you for your service.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
You guys have it all wrong. These bags are roaming the internet, lost and unloved. You are - like a batch of unwanted puppies - providing a roof and space with their kind. Would they like a walk out now and then? Sure. But they would rather have a home than be stuck there on fleabay or farcebork to be gawped at by passing idiots who don’t know their talon from their toes.
Thank you for your service.

And we have a winner!! By far a winner! Bravo, Speedy. Bravo! I was literally giggling as I read that. Thank you for the chuckle. It really made my day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads