• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for these to show uo! Finally here. First seen during this year's SHOT show.

View attachment 1438350
I don’t know man, I’m usually all over the smokey stuff but this doesn’t do it for me. I guess it’s just classic Filson understated style, a 261 with a patch. I guess the good thing is they aren’t charging a premium for it, which is unusual.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I have an XL Pullman listed right now that has both. They didn’t shy away from doing this for a little bit there. This was definitely not a repair since this bag has clearly not been used. That doesn’t stop it from having quite the odor though ?

View attachment 1439071
View attachment 1439072
yes, I have a Talon Outfitter and the scent was so bad I grabbed another, just couldn't deal with it, couldn't get rid of it either!! the scent that is!

thewinedown

Reaction score
Good thorough review of the Journeyman, just posted today. Maybe not any new information for the regulars here, but good info for anyone looking and some good views of the bag overall.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been off grid for the last week and just checked in to find 170 new posts! You guys have been busy!! My wife and I took a trip up to the top of the lower peninsula of Michigan and it was really wonderful to get away from all the craziness and get out in nature for a little while. We aren’t exactly light packers. @speedy611 can attest to this... here is a full list of the Filson bags brought on the trip.

Check in Roller Bag (wifes bag)
Medium Duffle
Small duffle (wifes bag)
FRD Open Tote
Ranger Backpack
Compartment Case Cooler (for beer)
Denim Briefcase (for work)

Honorable non-bag mentions go to my USFS tin cloth hat, Smokey shirt, Moleskin over-shirt (older thick black version is incredible) and Towel, which was quite the nice addition this year.

Sadly, I failed to photograph them all at the same time. I did however manage to get a few pictures from our escapades. Fun to come back to see all the awesome dialogue.

99213EF0-0871-41C9-8119-916556C9B7B6.jpeg

4B445243-DC99-49C5-9822-5E5F460A3249.jpeg

8C4CB781-4E6E-491B-B646-2098E68C3898.jpeg

3C0648C1-017B-4BC4-8DF8-F9A41C5DDC6E.jpeg
348617DA-A40B-4A3E-8C97-966D71F00FE7.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
I have an XL Pullman listed right now that has both. They didn’t shy away from doing this for a little bit there. This was definitely not a repair since this bag has clearly not been used. That doesn’t stop it from having quite the odor though ?

View attachment 1439071
View attachment 1439072
I wonder what conditions them being stored in would deter the vintage smell. Half of my talons had the same noticeable vintage smell but the other half had no smell at all. Sounds like a hit and miss for some of these.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what conditions them being stored in would deter the vintage smell. Half of my talons had the same noticeable vintage smell but the other half had no smell at all. Sounds like a hit and miss for some of these.
Most likely a humid environment. Probably dark and hot too. The smell isn’t unfamiliar. It definitely resembles the tent that we used as a kid that was stored in a hot garage and was not always bone dry when going back in the tent bag.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Most likely a humid environment. Probably dark and hot too. The smell isn’t unfamiliar. It definitely resembles the tent that we used as a kid that was stored in a hot garage and was not always bone dry when going back in the tent bag.

I'm glad this topic has come up. I've been intending to raise it myself. I'm hoping our collective wisdom can help me.

I have a "few" bags. (disclaimer: this is an offensive understatement) I have reached the point where I need to better organize them and store them. The most likely place for that is my basement on sturdy shelves in plastic bins. My basement is climate controlled but dark. I have a dehumidifier down there. Wet bags would never go into storage until fully dried. I'm thinking of putting some cedar in each bin to help with scent and any humidity within the bin. That's as far as my thoughts have gotten.

Are any of you storing a large amount of bags with long periods between uses? If so, what is your solution and how is it working out for you? I welcome any experience or random thoughts on this. I like my collection very much and want to draw on it as whims and needs dictate. But, I need to keep them from getting the nasty scent.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad this topic has come up. I've been intending to raise it myself. I'm hoping our collective wisdom can help me.

I have a "few" bags. (disclaimer: this is an offensive understatement) I have reached the point where I need to better organize them and store them. The most likely place for that is my basement on sturdy shelves in plastic bins. My basement is climate controlled but dark. I have a dehumidifier down there. Wet bags would never go into storage until fully dried. I'm thinking of putting some cedar in each bin to help with scent and any humidity within the bin. That's as far as my thoughts have gotten.

Are any of you storing a large amount of bags with long periods between uses? If so, what is your solution and how is it working out for you? I welcome any experience or random thoughts on this. I like my collection very much and want to draw on it as whims and needs dictate. But, I need to keep them from getting the nasty scent.
Personally, I think a cool, dry place away from the sun is the perfect way to store these bags. The cedar isn’t overkill but will significantly help and add another layer of protection. Sounds to me like you’re doing everything right. Humidity is in my opinion the biggest factor. A cool humid bag will still get dank over time. I’ve only been at this for 6 years so there is some collective knowledge on here that have stored bags for a much longer period than I, so their insight would be valuable as well.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think a cool, dry place away from the sun is the perfect way to store these bags. The cedar isn’t overkill but will significantly help and add another layer of protection. Sounds to me like you’re doing everything right. Humidity is in my opinion the biggest factor. A cool humid bag will still get dank over time. I’ve only been at this for 6 years so there is some collective knowledge on here that have stored bags for a much longer period than I, so their insight would be valuable as well.

Firstly- great vacation pics! Looks like a beautiful spot.

I've been storing my bags in the top of my closet for the most part. Dark and dry. My Pullman I’ve had nearly 6 years and it still smells like new. I like the cedar idea though.

Compare with my waxed cotton duck saddle bags for cycling. Left in the garage over winter they grow mildew very quickly.

So humidity is definitely a big factor and not leaving stuff wet.

NamelessStream

Reaction score
Hey man. If we end up "starting a fight" over packing cubes then we all need to find a new passion. Or drink more whiskey. Whatever. No fighting as this is very un-serious stuff - and just opinions. Life's too short.

Here's why I prefer the packing cubes:
Point #1 - IT HELPS KEEP MY SH#T ORGANIZED
Point #2 - See #1 above

I've found that they really help the logic of my packing. I believe in laying out everything before I put it in my bag (or roller). These force me to put everything in their right place very neatly.

Another advantage that I've found is that, when going on a multiple-city trip (ah, the good ole days), I am able to pack tomorrow's clothes in one of the packing cubes and never have to bother the rest of my clothes til later. For example, if a multiple city business trip, I pack a dress shirt, t-shirt, dress slacks, underwear and socks in one cube that I pull out for that day. Then, when I get to the next location, I pull out the rest.

My obsession with using packing cubes started when we did a trip to Florence and then Paris a few years ago. This trip wasn't just two cities but two COUNTRIES - we had a blast planning our packing as it forced us to focus on it as much as the trip.

In summary - this is what we call "Champagne problems".

In summary summary - once you find yourself using packing cubes (even if for little things like underwear and socks), it's hard to go back.
I can see some of the advantages. A couple years ago, I had to make a last-minute trip to Washington DC for work, 48 hours, briefcase and garment bag, and I was amazed how much
i could fit in just the briefcase if it was properly rolled and bagged. It brought back a lot of those rucksack packing skills I had learned in the Scouts and subsequently forgot.

NamelessStream

Reaction score
yes, I have a Talon Outfitter and the scent was so bad I grabbed another, just couldn't deal with it, couldn't get rid of it either!! the scent that is!
I had a medium field bag from that era I had to let go, it just smelled foul from the factory. they must have had a damp warehouse, or a a shipment of twill that wasn't treated proper.

NamelessStream

Reaction score
Exactly. Reminded me of the old army bell tents we used in the Scouts.

NamelessStream

Reaction score
I like my collection very much and want to draw on it as whims and needs dictate. But, I need to keep them from getting the nasty scent.
I'm thinking you might want to try silica gel packs, the kind they ship in shoeboxes and mass-market luggage. It has the advantage of drawing water out of the air, so if it's in a sealed bin, it's a dry sealed bin.

thewinedown

Reaction score
I'm thinking you might want to try silica gel packs, the kind they ship in shoeboxes and mass-market luggage. It has the advantage of drawing water out of the air, so if it's in a sealed bin, it's a dry sealed bin.
Spit balling here, but what about an open box of baking soda? Works in your fridge, couldn't hurt in storage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads