• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dangaa

Reaction score
Well, dog gone. It’s the exact same one I’m after. I wasn’t certain we were talking about the exact same one or even a different colorway. Love it.

Here is what I know. I have the previous year’s version that I got after I passed on this one at the retail price. I am a solid XL. Mine is in XL. Fits great. I did not size up. I can wear a flannel under it or a dress shirt. It’s a great mid-fall/early winter jacket in Chicago. It is not made to be a winter coat and I wouldn’t try to do that with it. But, being made of wool, it is more Jac than shirt as opposed to my cotton ones that are more shirt than Jac. It is also nice thick wool. I really love the piece and have gotten a few compliments on it.

I guess I can’t speak enough to your sizing. I can only tell you I didn’t size up and I’m happy with that choice. I do not wear tight fitting clothes if I can help it and I’m very happy with this fit. If you really want to layer underneath, maybe size up. But, it is designed to have at most a flannel under it and to be comfortable down to about freezing, give or take. It is definitely a “in the 40’s” coat.

I hope my rambling helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or want me to draw comparisons to other pieces.
Thanks. Definitely helps with my decision. I’m not in to tight fitting either but I’m on the upper end of the range when it comes to my size.

Looking at the chart again I see it’s body size measurements and since I don’t expect this to be tailored I suspect I should be fine!

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely helps with my decision. I’m not in to tight fitting either but I’m on the upper end of the range when it comes to my size.

Looking at the chart again I see it’s body size measurements and since I don’t expect this to be tailored I suspect I should be fine!

Hopefully you are getting it for a price that you can flip it and loose little to nothing if it doesn’t fit the way you want. So long as it fits and you don’t live in a sun belt state, I expect you will love it. Please report back if you decide to get it. I want to know when I’m right and when I’m wrong.

I should add one other thing. This is cut as a really large shirt, not as a true jacket. So, it will appear more fitted and even feel like it somewhat even if it isn’t a truly fitted piece. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

dangaa

Reaction score
Hopefully you are getting it for a price that you can flip it and loose little to nothing if it doesn’t fit the way you want. So long as it fits and you don’t live in a sun belt state, I expect you will love it. Please report back if you decide to get it. I want to know when I’m right and when I’m wrong.

I should add one other thing. This is cut as a really large shirt, not as a true jacket. So, it will appear more fitted and even feel like it somewhat even if it isn’t a truly fitted piece. I hope that makes sense.
I’m on the West coast so I think that it will do just fine with a base layer in the winter.

I’ll report back with fit once I have it!

WJR

Reaction score
Did they have any orange and tan, or just the black?
Yes, they still had the orange and tan along with the black. I also received a hand written note with my order, which is a nice touch.

Here is a picture of my new acquisitions:

The tote was supposed to be a tan 261, however I ended up with a 028 sepia (this was off Ebay, not from Eagan). I thought about returning it but I kind of like the sepia contrast to my tan 257.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Thanks. This one:

I was responding before from my phone. I was wrong about that being the same pattern I am after. I’m looking for this:

1597030536959.jpeg

in XL, please. I’m sorry for the confusion. It’s the same Jac Shirt you linked though. Only the cloth pattern is different. All of my other comments remain valid.

Last edited:

seven20

Reaction score
Yes, they still had the orange and tan along with the black. I also received a hand written note with my order, which is a nice touch.

Here is a picture of my new acquisitions:

The tote was supposed to be a tan 261, however I ended up with a 028 sepia (this was off Ebay, not from Eagan). I thought about returning it but I kind of like the sepia contrast to my tan 257.
Nice haul! Did you get the Tan travel tray from Eagan also?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried Eagle Creak large packing cube: https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/pac...-tech-cube-set-s-m-l-ec0a3cxg?variationId=002 in a 48-hour duffle? The dimensions of the large packing cube from Eagle Creak are: 13.5 x 18 x 3.25 / 34 x 46 x 8 cm (Large), so it should fit in theory but it would be good to hear from someone who might have actually tried to fit one in there?
Yes. I've used the Eagle Creek packing cubes for EVERY trip I've taken in the past 5 years plus. The large packing cube works really well in my 48 hour bag. I have used the large and one or two of the smalls for socks, etc. I can't imagine packing without them for ANY kind of trip.

In fact, I think I have about 6 or 7 different sizes and shapes of packing cubes - use all of them when the need arises.

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
I guess an additional question also is worthy of asking: what are the quintessential Filson items?

bags
256, 257, 258
Small and medium field
262 rucsac
260, 261 totes
S,M,L duffels
Garment bag (?)
Outfitters
Large carry on 242
MTB / LTB
266 sportsman
Original Pullman

clothes
Alaska guide shirt
Feather cloth shirt
Wool cruiser vests
Tin vest
Tin cruisers in several formats
Single and double Mac cruiser
Packer cruiser (shearling collar thing)
Packer and wool packer hat
Tin and double tin pants
Mac bib pants (?)

more recent stuff might include
Levi trucker
Ultralight jacket and vest
48 hr duffle
24 hr brief

lots of the bags are discontinued, much less of the clothing.

what else would you put on the list as core Filson?
For me, the bags that sum up what Filson is all about are the 242 Large Carry On, 243 Original Pullman, 256 Original Briefcase, and the 238 Outfitter. And all in tan, "The way God intended." 1597073830444.png 1597073877353.png 1597073915882.png 1597073962413.png

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
For me, the bags that sum up what Filson is all about are the 242 Large Carry On, 243 Original Pullman, 256 Original Briefcase, and the 238 Outfitter. And all in tan, "The way God intended." View attachment 1438702

I'm just starting to learn about these Outfitter bags and I'm starting to recognize the difference in how they look. That last picture is the #239, the XL Outfitter, not the #238, the L Outfitter.

I'm not trying to be an ass here with the nits I'm picking. I just know we all use this thread as a reference so it seams like a good idea to mention it. No offense meant at all.

IWandererI

Reaction score
Yes. I've used the Eagle Creek packing cubes for EVERY trip I've taken in the past 5 years plus. The large packing cube works really well in my 48 hour bag. I have used the large and one or two of the smalls for socks, etc. I can't imagine packing without them for ANY kind of trip.

In fact, I think I have about 6 or 7 different sizes and shapes of packing cubes - use all of them when the need arises.
I was hoping you’d reply, mgrennier, as I have seen that you are an avid Eagle Creak-user. Thanks for the feedback. Makes it much easier to buy online when I know for sure they will work ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads