• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Yep! I was calling for the low profile cap with the bison on Filson's website but they didn't have it. Ended up getting these two, which I actually preferred! Being from California, the bear is quite fitting. For $17.90 a piece, I had to get both lol

View attachment 1438345
I love these! I have the one on the left, the paw. I might call now for the other one. Fingers crossed.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I have been waiting for these to show uo! Finally here. First seen during this year's SHOT show.

3B796918-1F03-4B1E-B12D-F6EC66E8E681.png

CCF1897

Reaction score
Wool Mackinaw Jac Shirt in black/green. It was 2017’s limited release. I should have paid full price for that one. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it so I regret it now. The Outfitter is something I’m interested in if I can ever find it reasonably priced. It would be great to use for cabin packing.
"Wren and Ivy" and "King Ranch Saddle Shop" make a bag like an outfitter. No experience with either of those specific bags, just passing along as an alternative since the Outfitters are becoming hard to find reasonably priced.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
This is the Wren and Ivy. I own it and it is my current cabin bag. I love it. It’s completely top shelf and when I bought it I met the people who own the company. Quality people, quality bags. Don’t hesitate.

I haven’t owned the Outfitter yet but with the leather on bottom, I think the Wren and Ivy might be superior. Then again, the classic bridle leather straps on the Outfitter...be still my heart!

dangaa

Reaction score
Wool Mackinaw Jac Shirt in black/green. It was 2017’s limited release. I should have paid full price for that one. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it so I regret it now. The Outfitter is something I’m interested in if I can ever find it reasonably priced. It would be great to use for cabin packing.
Is this same one that’s sold out on their website?

What’s the consensus on fit? I’ve been eyeing one online with no return option. I’m typically a 38R in sports coats and it’s looks like I’m a small based on measurements. Are most of you buying these a full size larger to layer under?

NamelessStream

Reaction score
I guess an additional question also is worthy of asking: what are the quintessential Filson items?
what else would you put on the list as core Filson?
Definitely the long duck bill cap.... and I'm tempted to add the upland boots and upland/waterfowl coat. .. and the belts., they've had longevity.

NamelessStream

Reaction score
Yep! I was calling for the low profile cap with the bison on Filson's website but they didn't have it. Ended up getting these two, which I actually preferred! Being from California, the bear is quite fitting. For $17.90 a piece, I had to get both lol

View attachment 1438345
Beauty. Definitely a Cali Republic feel to that bear

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Is this same one that’s sold out on their website?

What’s the consensus on fit? I’ve been eyeing one online with no return option. I’m typically a 38R in sports coats and it’s looks like I’m a small based on measurements. Are most of you buying these a full size larger to layer under?

Attach a picture or a link, please. I’ll have a few comments if we are talking about the same piece even though it is in a different color. I likely can’t help in size but I’m hoping others closer to your size will chime in once you show a picture or a link. Trying to help and further the conversation.

dangaa

Reaction score
Attach a picture or a link, please. I’ll have a few comments if we are talking about the same piece even though it is in a different color. I likely can’t help in size but I’m hoping others closer to your size will chime in once you show a picture or a link. Trying to help and further the conversation.

Thanks. This one:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Thanks. This one:
Well, dog gone. It’s the exact same one I’m after. I wasn’t certain we were talking about the exact same one or even a different colorway. Love it.

Here is what I know. I have the previous year’s version that I got after I passed on this one at the retail price. I am a solid XL. Mine is in XL. Fits great. I did not size up. I can wear a flannel under it or a dress shirt. It’s a great mid-fall/early winter jacket in Chicago. It is not made to be a winter coat and I wouldn’t try to do that with it. But, being made of wool, it is more Jac than shirt as opposed to my cotton ones that are more shirt than Jac. It is also nice thick wool. I really love the piece and have gotten a few compliments on it.

I guess I can’t speak enough to your sizing. I can only tell you I didn’t size up and I’m happy with that choice. I do not wear tight fitting clothes if I can help it and I’m very happy with this fit. If you really want to layer underneath, maybe size up. But, it is designed to have at most a flannel under it and to be comfortable down to about freezing, give or take. It is definitely a “in the 40’s” coat.

I hope my rambling helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or want me to draw comparisons to other pieces.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads