• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woodsjw

Reaction score
My Morale Patch arrived today so, it’s time for my GoRuck reveal. I went with the GR2 for two reasons. One, I wanted something MiUSA (GR1 is mostly made in Vietnam). Two, I wanted something big enough to fit several days worth in one bag, and with smarter packing, maybe even a week.

With tax I paid nearly $400 for this bag, which was more money then I’ve ever spent on a piece of luggage or garment item. Even my Mackinaw Cruiser was slightly less.

It might surprise some, but I decided against going with the Ranger Green because I didn’t like the way it looked compared to other discontinued Greens. You can see the difference below:

Ranger Green is on the left and I’m not sure what this other Green is called, but if it was still available, I’d choose it in a heartbeat.

View attachment 1436776

I wanted something that gave off a Filson inspired vibe and I think I was successful. It might even develop an interesting patina as well. We shall see. Much like a Filson, even when empty the bag is pretty heavy. My dad picked it up and immediately mentioned that lol.

Now you see why I must get the Talon LTB in Otter Green. I’m being converted to the Dark Side...or shall I say Lite Side. This makes 3 Tan bags in my collection and only one OG (257)

Coyote Brown (More Like Tan)

View attachment 1436779

I’m going to post a packing picture set once I get more acquainted with the layout, but the amount or useful pockets is incredible. Namely the billow stash pouch in the middle section. Here I store my wallet, some cables, pens and sunglasses. It’s super easy to access on the go.

View attachment 1436787

The straps on this bag are going to need time to break in, I’ve never felt something like this before and I really like it. I feel more like a man’s man with this on my shoulders.

View attachment 1436788

I really love the Morale Patch section. It allows me to customize the look at the drop of a hat. This is the one I chose.

View attachment 1436791

I never imagined a simple word like “SURVIVE” would have such a powerful meaning behind it, even if the reference is a comical one (great movie btw). With the life challenges that myself and my family are facing, it’s reminding me to hang in there.

Here’s the scene:

@woodsjw I know you are a fellow GoRuck fan, hope you see my new purchase, I know we spoke before about it when I first considered one last year.

I like the interior stitched label, those that know it’s a GoRuck know. That’s why I went with this company, like Filson, there’s a great community behind it.

View attachment 1436794

The handgrip is one of if not the best I’ve ever handled. It’s very strong but comfortable. Zippers are YKK 10 and insanely tough. Also there’s a stiff storm flap over all of the zippers to help keep water out.

View attachment 1436793

Love it. I have the 34L version of the same bag in the same color... I've been buying GORUCK bags since 2014 and I have 5 now... but have always bought them heavily discounted, but even at full price I think they are worth the price tag. This is a bag that will take on anything you can throw at it and if it does fail, they will fix it free of charge.

Enjoy it!

Stratkat

Reaction score
Love it. I have the 34L version of the same bag in the same color... I've been buying GORUCK bags since 2014 and I have 5 now... but have always bought them heavily discounted, but even at full price I think they are worth the price tag. This is a bag that will take on anything you can throw at it and if it does fail, they will fix it free of charge.

Enjoy it!
Gee, sounds a lot like... Filson

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Yeah. Pictures or it didn't happen. ;)

I'm liking that total cost though. Nicely done!

Last edited:

pnwprice

Reaction score
Wonder how common these are. Mix of YKK and Talon zippers on a 258 I just picked up. Must have been on the cusp of their transition in the early 2000s. Still no build tag though.

View attachment 1436147
My FRD 258 is this configuration.

Attachments

• CE14322B-0A1C-412F-9EE3-F327E79BAEED.jpeg
    CE14322B-0A1C-412F-9EE3-F327E79BAEED.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 8C7ACA51-1907-416E-9073-69E964D37419.jpeg
    8C7ACA51-1907-416E-9073-69E964D37419.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 45
  • BAE8EABD-B0D8-4B55-A732-9F5FC6FCDFA0.jpeg
    BAE8EABD-B0D8-4B55-A732-9F5FC6FCDFA0.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 019A5957-ED9A-4E11-914F-DF884E88AD2F.jpeg
    019A5957-ED9A-4E11-914F-DF884E88AD2F.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 60

linablair

Reaction score
I’m back and forth with this method, but in my current minimalist lifestyle, I’m actually happier now that ever. Best thing is I get to use my long neglected 257 again, since I sold my Journeyman to another member here. Once I get the LTB, which I’m in no rush, I think I’m all set with Filson bags (which makes 4), considering I’ve owned 11 or so these past 5.5 years

Now that I've had a few chances to carry OMG's Journeyman... I love the bag. As some of you know, I've got a rucksack that I won't part with, but use it less than I could... there's not much organization to it and it carries a bit uncomfortably. I wasn't on the hunt, but as you know, he offered an awesome price for a riveted Journeyman. Since I've had it a few weeks and have gone in to work a handful of times, I've had the chance to carry it as I would normally intend. It's a very comfortable bag to carry and still has the classic Filson look, and it pairs well with the rest of my bags, which are primarily tan and navy. I love the combination of twill and tin cloth. It's also perfectly patina'd. I also have to say that OMG shipped the bag super fast and packed it with great care! Thanks, @OtterMeanGreen!

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 52

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I've had a few chances to carry OMG's Journeyman... I love the bag. As some of you know, I've got a rucksack that I won't part with, but use it less than I could... there's not much organization to it and it carries a bit uncomfortably. I wasn't on the hunt, but as you know, he offered an awesome price for a riveted Journeyman. Since I've had it a few weeks and have gone in to work a handful of times, I've had the chance to carry it as I would normally intend. It's a very comfortable bag to carry and still has the classic Filson look, and it pairs well with the rest of my bags, which are primarily tan and navy. I love the combination of twill and tin cloth. It's also perfectly patina'd. I also have to say that OMG shipped the bag super fast and packed it with great care! Thanks, @OtterMeanGreen!
It's been fun and interesting to follow the journey of OMG's bags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads