• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
I think this one will be better in the field sitting on dirt/mud. I like most of my items in one compartment too. Probably just keep a few things like liscence, spare knife and light in outer pockets. I hate opening multiple pockets in the dark trying to find something in a hunting bag. On the flip side I know guys that put every item in its particular spot in their bags, but that’s not me. I just take it out and throw it back in.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I think this one will be better in the field sitting on dirt/mud. I like most of my items in one compartment too. Probably just keep a few things like liscence, spare knife and light in outer pockets. I hate opening multiple pockets in the dark trying to find something in a hunting bag. On the flip side I know guys that put every item in its particular spot in their bags, but that’s not me. I just take it out and throw it back in.
I agree, I find too many pockets are annoying, same with fasteners. I look at gear of all kinds, and Bass Peo has a line of leather trimmed canvas bags. They have pockets within pockets, mesh pockets, cheap, over complicated fasteners, way too overthought. One of the reasons I like a duffle, heavy duty zipper, wide open main bay, 2 internal end pockets, done!

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Didn’t know Beckbe made bags. Just went to their site, they look to be made from something similar to tin cloth weight? What’s your comparison to the Heritage Sportsman?
I like the way the TB can convert to a Back Pack, handy on sorting clay course or in the field. I have the gun case also. Material seems legit, I have dumped both the gun case and bag into the marsh and both cleaned up just fine. Also both fell off my atvs a few times and aren’t showing any major wear. The filson is a bit more rugged and beefy, but I’m not concerned about the TB being inferior by any means, maybe just more “refined”.
I have a TB Jacket and vest, both have a great cut too them. I wear them to my office all the time and in the field. I’m in finance, but most of my clients are outdoorsman, so I only do the suit and tie deal once a week, vs my peers are usually in a suit and tie. I wear a mackinaw vest with a button down most days (solid grey or green, as buffalo plaid might be a bit much).

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are two toned. I like them. They look like this:

View attachment 1435690
These unsnap to lie flat when traveling. Or, they snap together in a flat half moon shape to house a watch or other item you wish to keep protected. They are a great little item.

Half moon configuration in tan:

View attachment 1435691

Leather and twill and beefy snaps. What more could this crowd want?
Yep. I picked up one of the tan/orange ones and 2-3 of the black ones.

mohamed alfaris

Reaction score
I have them both actually, had the heritage for several years and grabbed the utility specifically for the truck. The utility proved too small for what I wanted to use it for (I find found a outfitter that fit the bill) so it sits on my desk. They are both great bags but I just prefer the heritage, grab it all the time, I love the end pocket design, find them quite handy!
View attachment 1435559 View attachment 1435560
Thanks friend, I actually want it for my car , have lots of items and thought the organization in the bag will help, also thinking of using it for camping. but I like the heritage compactness and it seems to hold it shape better maybe I want the best of both worlds.

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Thanks friend, I actually want it for my car , have lots of items and thought the organization in the bag will help, also thinking of using it for camping. but I like the heritage compactness and it seems to hold it shape better maybe I want the best of both worlds.
Just get both...I have stopped playing the only one bag game in my mind. The filson addiction is hard to suppress.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get both...I have stopped playing the only one bag game in my mind. The filson addiction is hard to suppress.

I’m back and forth with this method, but in my current minimalist lifestyle, I’m actually happier now that ever. Best thing is I get to use my long neglected 257 again, since I sold my Journeyman to another member here. Once I get the LTB, which I’m in no rush, I think I’m all set with Filson bags (which makes 4), considering I’ve owned 11 or so these past 5.5 years

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
I’m back and forth with this method, but in my current minimalist lifestyle, I’m actually happier now that ever. Best thing is I get to use my long neglected 257 again, since I sold my Journeyman to another member here. Once I get the LTB, which I’m in no rush, I think I’m all set with Filson bags (which makes 4), considering I’ve owned 11 or so these past 5.5 years
I respect this, and wish I had this mentality. I just am not that person whether it’s Filson, Watches, Knives, Guns, decoys.... the list goes on. I figure as long as I’m not financially straining the family, it’s all good. I really enjoy the process of learning and searching. Usually things get passed to my Dad or friends after they get replaced. My wife jokes that I have a bag and knife for every situation, and now I’m just creating new situations to buy more.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I respect this, and wish I had this mentality. I just am not that person whether it’s Filson, Watches, Knives, Guns, decoys.... the list goes on. I figure as long as I’m not financially straining the family, it’s all good. I really enjoy the process of learning and searching. Usually things get passed to my Dad or friends after they get replaced. My wife jokes that I have a bag and knife for every situation, and now I’m just creating new situations to buy more.

For me and it sounds like I’m am not alone here, the enjoyment is in the pursuit. It’s mentally stimulating to research and learn new things, a part of our brains that get less and less use these days. My new focus is on obtaining several firearms, so most of my attention is on that, as it was on my knife build in the most recent month.

seven20

Reaction score
For me and it sounds like I’m am not alone here, the enjoyment is in the pursuit. It’s mentally stimulating to research and learn new things, a part of our brains that get less and less use these days. My new focus is on obtaining several firearms, so most of my attention is on that, as it was on my knife build in the most recent month.
The mentally stimulating and learning new things is a big part of it. It spreads to other sports too. I play tennis, and while I have 3 of the same racquet and refuse to change I have a friend with about 25. 3 matching for tournaments and the rest are just for changing it up, different playing styles etc. he’s good enough to do that. It’s funny how the mind can work.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a small warning that the tan and orange ones are “seconds”. As a case in point, here is the black twill one ($10 bucks) and the tan and orange one ($5 bucks)

You can probably guess why it’s a second. On a side note, how hung over was the person that put the tag on that way???
image.jpg

Stratkat

Reaction score
Just a small warning that the tan and orange ones are “seconds”. As a case in point, here is the black twill one ($10 bucks) and the tan and orange one ($5 bucks)

You can probably guess why it’s a second. On a side note, how hung over was the person that put the tag on that way???
View attachment 1435849
wouldn't bother me in the least!

WJR

Reaction score
My new focus is on obtaining several firearms, so most of my attention is on that, as it was on my knife build in the most recent month.

Are you comfortable expounding on this? or is that a taboo subject for this thread?

WJR

Reaction score
mgrennier,

Is the orange one bigger or is that just the way it is folded?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads