• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Here is my carry knife today: Bark River EDC Elmax

Great knife. I have a few Barkies. I like them a lot. In fact, I participated in their Grind-In last fall. I had been meaning to do that for seven years and finally got it done. Not to further derail this thread but I should find the two I "made" while there. I'm very pleased with them. I highly recommend the Grind-In experience if you like knives.

Last edited:

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
image.jpg

Buck 110 included to show scale.

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
I picked up the BR that I posted today at a shop in Crystal Falls MI last month. I think it was the crystal falls trading company. The owner was in and told me how him and his late brother opened the store. They had a good selection of outdoor items. I picked up a camo Stormy Kromer vest as well.

So-33

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Picked this Excursion bag up at the Filson Outlet store today.
The bag is no longer manufactured.
Wasn't looking for another but, I liked the size, the pocket setup, the wet storage sleeve and mesh side pouch.
Much more user friendly than my medium duffle. First tin cloth bag for me.
I plan to use it for my going to beach bag. Room for mask and flippers, towels and sandals.
This appears to be a well engineered tool of a bag,
Much more intricate that the basic duffel and still made in USA.
Please, have more understanding than my wife.

pnwprice

Reaction score
130A221E-A55F-4A52-8FA8-808EFBAF56E8.jpeg

Finally some camping this week up in Olympic National Park. Love carrying my old talon FRD rucksack hiking, and the others were summer sale purchases that got some quick use. (Cinder duffle and mackinaw red log carrier).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Now that Im done fiddling with my Bugout, it makes me want to build a Para 3.

Thanks. I can give you any of the sources I used for my build if you're interested. Even in its stock form the Para 3 is such a good knife, a definite improvement from the Paramilitary 2, which many found to be too large for EDC use.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I can give you any of the sources I used for my build if you're interested. Even in its stock form the Para 3 is such a good knife, a definite improvement from the Paramilitary 2, which many found to be too large for EDC use.
Still hate the spidey hole and the overall shape. But I would do a copper scale and acid washed blade I think.

WJR

Reaction score
Still hate the spidey hole and the overall shape. But I would do a copper scale and acid washed blade I think.

Blasphemy! The main reason Spydercos are my favorite is the hole! For me, I like that much better than a thumb stud or other options. To each their own, but that works best for me.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
I never really liked the look of the hole myself. It's purely an aesthetic reaction from me. Then I got a Benchmade Bugout with one. I totally get it now and really like that implementation on that knife. If I like it there, I'm sure I would like it on a Spyderco. Lesson learned for me: Don't knock it until you try it.

"...I would do a copper scale and acid washed blade..."

Uhhh, yeah. We all know that is happening now. You aren't fooling us. ;) Post pictures when you are done, please.

I tease. But, I know how these things go with members of this thread. If not the Spyderco, maybe another knife with that combination. It sounds sharp! See what I did there?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't acid washing a blade count as implementing forced patina? To me that's not really my thing (to each his own), i'd much rather have a similar effect happen naturally through usage.

Speaking of knife patina I am very satisfied how my Buck 055 is coming along. The brass is beginning to tarnish and "Hulk Matter" is showing through from the brass liners through the walnut

Last edited:

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really liked the look of the hole myself. It's purely an aesthetic reaction from me. Then I got a Benchmade Bugout with one. I totally get it now and really like that implementation on that knife. If I like it there, I'm sure I would like it on a Spyderco. Lesson learned for me: Don't knock it until you try it.
Totally understand how the hole could be beneficial and will own my aversion is also mostly aesthetic. What bothers me most though is that these knives fold up into an oval/avocado shape just so they can have a silly shaped blade bump to accommodate said hole. Increasing the folded footprint strikes me as a stupid design flaw for a pocket EDC item. All of that said, after seeing Peter McKinnon's Sebenza with a hole, I really want the same thing.

Doesn't acid washing a blade count as implementing forced patina? To me that's not really my thing (to each his own), i'd much rather have a similar effect happen naturally through usage.
Speaking of knife patina I am very satisified how my Buck 055 is coming along. The brass is beginning to tarnish and "Hulk Matter" is showing through from the brass liners through the walnut
Naw, its a steel treatment. Etching. It will Patina from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads