• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A JEDI IM

Reaction score
Do any of you have an opinion on the Neoshell Reliance Jacket? I’m considering one at half price and would love some feedback if you have it.

I’ll owe a bag picture after this post Talking about appareL. Great picture posts over the past 24 hours!

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Dude you will love that bag. It’s one of the most useful designs. It’s so big and so versatile and pretty rare with talon zips. Good for you and keep us updated!!

I’ve also recently become a tote man. So much so that I’ve acquired a few different models for “comparisons” sake.

6B421D42-7E1D-4065-894F-6F45D134140F.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
Congratulations! That’s quite a deal for a Tan Talon Era in such preserved condition. You definitely were wearing a ski mask when you bought that. With this #261, how many Talons do you have in your collection?
Just two - this and the 256 briefcase. Would have definitely preferred OG but no complaints. My other bags: 2014 tan 257, 2014 tan medium duffle (old version), and 2019 OG 48 hour. Not actively looking but if a good deal on a tan 240 pops up, I'll probably get it.

DuckMan_11

Reaction score
Been wanting to share this with all of you for at least a year now. It’s my younger sisters 25 year old LL Bean Backpack that she has been using since grade school. It’s been her sole bag (besides her hiking bag) for all this time. I’ve never seen as cool of patina on nylon before, definitely credit to a company that obviously cared enough to put such an effort into something that was intended on being pushed to its limits. Born on Earth Day in “April” (which also happens to be her name), she’s a Wildlife Biologist for the USDA, one of the top in the State in her field of Ornithology. She’s been all over the world with that bag for her studies: New Zealand, Alaska, Texas to name a few. She even lived in a tent for 4 months on a project.

View attachment 1424747

View attachment 1424749

View attachment 1424750

View attachment 1424751

Couldn’t show off the bag without a face to match it, this is us after going to the Hershey Park factory tour

View attachment 1424754
That is awesome that your sister works in such a cool field. I spend a lot of time in communication with the biologist discussing land management and conservation for upland and migratory birds. One of the main aspects of Filson that i enjoy is the quality outdoor gear for the field.

hilltop1

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Fellow #257 appreciator. Research has placed the Rugged Twill Line was created by Stanley Kohls sometime in the year 1992. Out of curiosity, what made you decide black and not one of the more traditional colors? According to my Color Challenge, Black was the least common behind Brown

I have tried to figure out what year she (wife) bought my old 257 and we keep coming up with dates before 1992. She worked in a warehouse fabric design company down in the area where filson was. The area was more industrial then with no baseball stadium and the football stadium was the old kingdome. Anyway she worked there from 1987 to 1989...which is why we think early 1989. Our daughter was born may 1989 so no shopping down there after that.

Regarding black twill...I just like it. I also wear black carhartt jackets so I guess they sort of match! And I also like how black cotton twill wears over time. My old tan 257 looks awesome and quite dark. BTW I have never waxed the twill or put conditioner on the leather....and it never seemed to need either....maybe our wet climate helps..haha.

hilltop1

Reaction score
Thanks for that - It's the push I needed to buy them. Do you have both rows? I think I might start with the front row for now.

I also just got the front seats since my back seats are rarely used ie folded up with tools etc on the floor. However I still might go for the back seats sometime since the fronts are so great!

hilltop1

Reaction score
Nice, would really like to see some pics of the bags sometime.

Not sure where the original source of when the twill luggages came out (it was before I was even born lol) but I think the consensus most of the members here and a couple articles I read dates it as early as 91/92.

But if you do have an ah ha moment and think otherwise, I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate the input. The seller I bought my 256 from said he bought it in 89-90 but I figured it's possible he got the decades mixed up.

Yeah I don't know about that 92 time frame. See my previous reply about dates. Maybe they sold a few early bags from the filson store in seattle before official distribution. Btw~ I think only tan was available early on too. Otter green maybe was added when they went to wider availability.. I will try to add pics soon of all my filsons and VP too. Non of them are matching colors except my VP duffle and briefcase.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think only tan was available early on too. Otter green maybe was added when they went to wider availability.

Also in my extensive research Otter Green was available as a Special Made to Order color between the early and mid 1990's of the Rugged Twill line (similar to the early Navy release before its revision due to complaints). There was only 2 original colors: Tan and Otter Green. Navy and Brown came much later during the early Filson-YKK era. I have spoken to at least two Otter Green owners who bought theirs ranging from 1993 to 1995. Whether or not Filson was calling the color by that name before it's wide 1999 release as "Otter Dark Green", remains to be seen or verified yet. The two shades are very different, as you can see below. My Otter Green #257 arguably (by twill color and leather) could've been built as early as 1995. Both are in new-like preserved condition without much or any patina. The bag next to it is the Talon Era #246, by appearance was built in the late 1990's. With a name like mine, you would expect me to know a thing or two about the color.

073C3B95-4CA2-452E-9AEA-6EF0B7685352.jpeg

Here is an Otter Green "Flapless" Small Duffel First Edition. This was discontinued and revised before 1995.

D5EA455D-4600-4E52-B774-EE7CE6EBFA1B.jpeg

Here it is against a similar Tan Flapless Small Duffel

F944C097-FECA-49A4-BB74-2BEC41E0875B.jpeg

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tried to figure out what year she (wife) bought my old 257 and we keep coming up with dates before 1992. She worked in a warehouse fabric design company down in the area where filson was. The area was more industrial then with no baseball stadium and the football stadium was the old kingdome. Anyway she worked there from 1987 to 1989...which is why we think early 1989. Our daughter was born may 1989 so no shopping down there after that.

Regarding black twill...I just like it. I also wear black carhartt jackets so I guess they sort of match! And I also like how black cotton twill wears over time. My old tan 257 looks awesome and quite dark. BTW I have never waxed the twill or put conditioner on the leather....and it never seemed to need either....maybe our wet climate helps..haha.

It would be certainly cool if you could produce a receipt or invoice or your alleged pre-90’s Rugged Twill Bags in question. Speaking of which, I am at the very least, the 3rd owner of this Talon Era #260 and the receipt has been around for the ride in the pocket the entire time...since 1994

C51A217C-D986-4A1B-AB09-5652E4DF83B6.jpeg

The Build Date is most likely during the late year of 1993 being that the receipt date is 03-28-94

60B0376B-5EDF-42B2-B61D-752F9DDA4D4B.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know about that 92 time frame. See my previous reply about dates. Maybe they sold a few early bags from the filson store in seattle before official distribution. Btw~ I think only tan was available early on too. Otter green maybe was added when they went to wider availability.. I will try to add pics soon of all my filsons and VP too. Non of them are matching colors except my VP duffle and briefcase.
Wow sounds like quite the trip down memory lane.. It's a good point where it's possible these were just sold at a small scale in the retail shop before being fully distributed and marketed. This indicates nothing but to your points, the guy I bought the tan 256 from is also from the area. Guess it's just a huge mystery until there's some sort of dated catalog or receipt like OMG mentioned above...

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it’s a long shot but think you might have any photos of you with the bag when you got it as a gift? I mean I know my family still takes pictures when opening presents. That would put the date discussion to rest and I think we’d all be very curious to know if there was a test run before official production!

seven20

Reaction score
I know it’s a long shot but think you might have any photos of you with the bag when you got it as a gift? I mean I know my family still takes pictures when opening presents. That would put the date discussion to rest and I think we’d all be very curious to know if there was a test run before official production!
I think this is very plausible that it was an early/local run. Even filson says ‘re-introduced’ in 1991 in their old publications. Many companies, esp at the time would have beta runs before advertised/mass production.

[/URL]

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve also recently become a tote man. So much so that I’ve acquired a few different models for “comparisons” sake.

View attachment 1424772
I"ve so tried to like the tote. The only one I find myself using is the tin cloth tote that I use for trips to Whole Foods or whatever. It's BIG so it's perfect for groceries, etc. I had a tote but didn't use it. Not sure how to explain my reluctance but glad to see people putting them to good use!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is very plausible that it was an early/local run. Even filson says ‘re-introduced’ in 1991 in their old publications. Many companies, esp at the time would have beta runs before advertised/mass production.

[/URL]

Nice find. Also appears here. So we can speak as a matter of fact that it was officially released in 1991. How it was before that remains to be seen in what particular form or fashion. Would be interested in seeing what it was before Stan Kohls sunk his genius teeth in

FAC6260D-21B1-432A-B93D-5AE5A02F55C0.jpeg

thewinedown

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm hoping to tap into your collective expertise and general sleuthing capabilities. Below is my dad's old hunting bag. I cannot figure out who may have made this thing, and he has no recollection of where he even got it. It's certainly not Filson. I am unable to find any tags, markings, or insignia of any kind as clues. Best guess is that it is from the 1970s. Could it be military? Maybe just an off brand, unmarked bag through some place like A&N, or possibly military surplus? I thought you amazing bag heads on here might be my only hope.

Another question - what could the two small flaps on the front of the main flap (the two that have small metal rivet holes in them)? The one hanging straight down I could see random things attached two, but second one that is vertical/perpendicular, I really don't get. It seems like it would get ripped off easily from that angle if anything heavy were hung from it.

You'll see the years of gnarly patina embedded into the canvas - it's recently cleaned by the way, none of this coming out, and I love it for that. I used to use it for shells, gloves, etc. and the occasional quail. These days, it's more of a shoulder bag for road trips, farmers markets, etc. Any thoughts or tips appreciated.

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics