• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has Filson ever made backpacks in navy twill?

What a coincidence. I was just about to make a shameless plug that I have decided to sell my prized Navy First Edition Journeyman. PM me if anyone is interested, going to be listing it on eBay soon but figured I’d offer it the members here first. The Navy Journeyman saw a very short production run before Bedrock did what they do best, and discontinued it.

2F61F46B-4EB0-4D1E-BFA6-1CBE50190AEE.jpeg

The Navy brass riveted version is even rarer before Filson revised it and offered it sewn instead.

8B88F4BB-8F8A-43B6-ABD6-0569C4BFF6A0.jpeg

linablair

Reaction score
Howdy, been lurking awhile. Long time Filson 257 user....never even knew it was called a 257 before I landed here!

We lived in Seattle and my wife bought my Filson briefcase for my birthday at the original Filson store (not the current location, and not nearly as fancy then) about 30 years ago. We both thought it was 1989 but apparently they were not made until 199?. So maybe our memories are a bit off...hehehe. anyway I used it for 10 years or so as my primary architecture work briefcase, then I bought a hand made leather satchel and graduated the old 257 to my field measuring bag, holding tapes and levels etc for building site work. Still use it for that in fact! Of course now I have gone back to Filson and bought a black 257 for some general paperwork and use a Vermilyea Pelle briefcase as my primary work bag. That is an awesome briefcase too!

BTW: previous poster pondering Carhart seat covers for their truck. I put them in my F-150 about 3 years ago and love them!.. totally worth it.

Thanks for that - It's the push I needed to buy them. Do you have both rows? I think I might start with the front row for now.

originalhype

Reaction score
I always keep records of bags I buy. So here are the hangtags stating 22 oz. Rucksacks were purchase on 2012 while the tote was purchase 2013.
These made before bedrock made the changes.

filson.jpg

Here is me comparing my new pullman

seven20

Reaction score
As I’m moving things into the new tweed and twill I found a difference I really like that I didn’t notice before buying. The leather snap closure is attached the the outside of the front pocket instead of inside the pocket. I really like this as my 257 front pocket tends to hang open because of stretching/use. This is a nice feature that is a byproduct of either not wanting to see into the tweed or due to the location of the Harris label.

also, I have the same tags with this bag that @originalhype pictured above

Attachments

• 43BFD0D1-1919-4CC4-840B-6253FD5608F2.jpeg
    43BFD0D1-1919-4CC4-840B-6253FD5608F2.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 71

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason or another Filson has trends on eBay usually. For example we've seen this on the #266/70266 and the Large Twill Carry On. One minute they're nowhere to be seen and the next minute they pop up all over the place. This month it seems The Filson x Harris Tweed collaborations are the subject.

In case anyone else is interested in obtaining the joys of having an enclosed front pocket on their #256, as @seven20 shared

and if you would like to complete the set

thewinedown

Reaction score
Looks like medium duffel is back in stock for the summer sale. Snaggletoothed one. I definitely don't need it; but for $149 seems like a reasonable investment.
Any idea when the summer sale ends? Seems to go on forever.

originalhype

Reaction score
Any idea when the summer sale ends? Seems to go on forever.
It can go on forever as filson retail stores still close due to the virus. So by putting it online, they are making up their profits online. Just depends on when all states will re-open.
Honestly, they need to put the green and the tan on sale.

One of my biggest pet peeves about the briefcase is the flappy front pocket.

They have to do it due to protection from rain and water,
I did do a write up as to how they can improve some bags.

seven20

Reaction score
They have to do it due to protection from rain and water,
I did do a write up as to how they can improve some bags.

Could you expand on why you believe the open front pocket needs to remain open to protect from rain and water?

originalhype

Reaction score
Could you expand on why you believe the open front pocket needs to remain open to protect from rain and water?
It is a 2 way direction.
Your viewpoint is understandable and it is a fine decision.

The front pockets will never get any protection at all as the flap only covers the top zippered main compartment. The front pocket is there for easy documents access. Now when putting a closure or snap on the front pockets, this means you have to un-snap the flap then reach for your documents in the front pockets.,

If there is no snap on the front pocket, you do not need to un-snap, you can quickly just grab documents.

Both methods are fine.

thewinedown

Reaction score
It can go on forever as filson retail stores still close due to the virus. So by putting it online, they are making up their profits online. Just depends on when all states will re-open.
Honestly, they need to put the green and the tan on sale.

If they put the tan and green up, I’m in very big trouble...

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they put the tan and green up, I’m in very big trouble...

Be careful what you guys wish for, once Filson puts something on sale it usually can mean that they are having difficulty selling or marketing it and it will eventually be discontinued. Happens all the time in the land of Bedrock. One minute you think you’re getting the deal of a lifetime, only to find out that you’re profiting on its funeral :(

thewinedown

Reaction score
So here’s my latest conundrum. I snagged a small duffle (navy) and medium duffle (cinder) at great deals but now can’t decide if the small is necessary. Part of me likes the navy better but it’s quite small. I’m 6’4” 220lbs, so the medium size is no problem for me in terms of any bulk. But since I have Bigfoot size shoes and boots to pack, when could I reasonably even use the small without overfilling it immediately? Maybe best to return the small and reappropriate the cash for a 257, 261, 24 hour etc (in OG or tan, no doubt!)? Thoughts appreciated as always.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics