• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I snagged a duffle during Filson's summer sale, and I see today that it has dropped an additional $50. I emailed Filson to see if they would honor this new price (the one I ordered hasn't even arrived yet). Does anyone know how they typically handle this? Otherwise, I would need to return the first one and order again, which just seems silly and wasteful.
I think in the past the price adjustment policy is 14 days from purchase. Make sure the color is the same. They won’t honor if you bought root and it’s cinder that’s on sale.

thewinedown

Reaction score
I think in the past the price adjustment policy is 14 days from purchase. Make sure the color is the same. They won’t honor if you bought root and it’s cinder that’s on sale.
Ok thanks. Definitely within that timeframe, and yes it's the same color. I'll see what they respond with. Appreciate it.

seven20

Reaction score
I snagged a duffle during Filson's summer sale, and I see today that it has dropped an additional $50. I emailed Filson to see if they would honor this new price (the one I ordered hasn't even arrived yet). Does anyone know how they typically handle this? Otherwise, I would need to return the first one and order again, which just seems silly and wasteful.
I was too late on that one. I wanted the medium cinder as a gift for someone. $150 is a steal

thewinedown

Reaction score
I was too late on that one. I wanted the medium cinder as a gift for someone. $150 is a steal
Ah darn. I just looked, and it's still showing on the website for me if you're still interested in it. Go grab it!

seven20

Reaction score
Ah darn. I just looked, and it's still showing on the website for me if you're still interested in it. Go grab it!
Yeah, it shows for me too. It was there early this morning when I looked but when clicking on the bag it says 'no longer available'. Also though, their site wouldn't render properly this morning either. It was really odd.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know what I think? I think it was made with 22oz twill when everything started. They only had one color and it was fairly simple to get a consistent product. Over the years they kept the 22oz claim the same through very subtle changes in how the manufacturer went about making the product (on purpose or because they had no choice). When they started making additional colors, the weight was not the same. Black and brown we’re both very thick and heavy, but navy almost always lighter. So then comes 2016 and bedrock is looking to cost cut and they ask the manufacturer how they can get a less expensive product. Manufacturer says well if we dont do as heavy of a waxing that saves us time on finishing, less cost in the product and makes transport cheaper. They realized at this time that there’s no way 22oz is still an accurate statement for all their twill products, so rather than make a claim that simply can’t be true they took the weight off altogether.

It could also be that none of the “2016” stuff happened and really they just said, “our twill varies in weight by color so we better not just say it’s all 22oz” but I speculate that they know they made a change. Sorry for the essay, but like many have said there is a difference in the “stiffness” of the older twill. Likely a difference in the finish or wax but difficult to say.

That all sounds perfectly plausible but I have a question about the highlighted language. My understanding that when quoting cloth weight by ounces, whether for denim jeans, suiting material, whatever, it is shorthand for saying ounces per yard of cloth, e.g., "22 ounces per square yard of cloth."

If that is correct, wouldn't the cloth in its original state, i.e. before waxing, be the basis for its cited weight? In other words, wouldn't still be 22 ounce cloth whether later added to it was a lot of wax, a little wax, or no wax at all?

NOTE: I am not weighing in (groan) on whether or not the bags became thinner or lighter after such and such a date. I own a pair of large Pullmans, a 246, and a 256, and the four straddle the Great Corporate Takeover Date and I cannot detect a difference in cloth on the four except the ones with the most use are more flexible.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That all sounds perfectly plausible but I have a question about the highlighted language. My understanding that when quoting cloth weight by ounces, whether for denim jeans, suiting material, whatever, it is shorthand for saying ounces per yard of cloth, e.g., "22 ounces per square yard of cloth."

If that is correct, wouldn't the cloth in its original state, i.e. before waxing, be the basis for its cited weight? In other words, wouldn't still be 22 ounce cloth whether later added to it was a lot of wax, a little wax, or no wax at all?

NOTE: I am not weighing in (groan) on whether or not the bags became thinner or lighter after such and such a date. I own a pair of large Pullmans, a 246, and a 256, and the four straddle the Great Corporate Takeover Date and I cannot detect a difference in cloth on the four except the ones with the most use are more flexible.

Good points. Plus Filson once (not sure where they stand now) states “22oz Rugged Twill is lightly brushed with a paraffin based wax to repel water and densely woven to reduce snags”. I’m not sure how much the added wax accounts for Twill Weight, but words such as “lightly” leads me to believe not much. I would of course recommend calling one of Filson’s knowledgeable customer service staff, however knowledgeable called in sick. I once called Filson CS to ask their recommendation on what wax to buy for my 257, she stated Rugged Twill bags don’t require wax and I was confusing myself with Tin Cloth. So unless Stanley Kohls himself chimes in, I struggle at taking anything at face value.

Last edited:

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, so what I would be suggesting is that the weight of the fabric may not have specifically changed but the way it is finished is different. Could they have also changed the weight of the product before waxing? Yes but I can’t really speak to that. All I know is that the older bags tend to feel stouter than the newer bags especially when not heavily used.

linablair

Reaction score
Toyota guy here. Bought a brand new 4wd Tacoma in 03, sold it last fall. Had a set of tools in it, the only thing I ever used them for was to change one tire and tighten the side plastic cover on my seat, and the door latch catch!
Traded it in for a 2019.

I bought my first truck, a Tacoma, last summer! a 2019, TRD Off-Road, double cab, long bed. Love it - especially when I'm lookin' for native brook trout streams in the deep woods!

Currently considering the Carhartt seat covers, as I leave my wet waders on sometimes when looking for a different spot. If there were rugged twill seat covers, I'd likely pull the trigger a bit quicker!

hilltop1

Reaction score
Howdy, been lurking awhile. Long time Filson 257 user....never even knew it was called a 257 before I landed here!

We lived in Seattle and my wife bought my Filson briefcase for my birthday at the original Filson store (not the current location, and not nearly as fancy then) about 30 years ago. We both thought it was 1989 but apparently they were not made until 199?. So maybe our memories are a bit off...hehehe. anyway I used it for 10 years or so as my primary architecture work briefcase, then I bought a hand made leather satchel and graduated the old 257 to my field measuring bag, holding tapes and levels etc for building site work. Still use it for that in fact! Of course now I have gone back to Filson and bought a black 257 for some general paperwork and use a Vermilyea Pelle briefcase as my primary work bag. That is an awesome briefcase too!

BTW: previous poster pondering Carhart seat covers for their truck. I put them in my F-150 about 3 years ago and love them!.. totally worth it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howdy, been lurking awhile. Long time Filson 257 user....never even knew it was called a 257 before I landed here!

We lived in Seattle and my wife bought my Filson briefcase for my birthday at the original Filson store (not the current location, and not nearly as fancy then) about 30 years ago. We both thought it was 1989 but apparently they were not made until 199?. So maybe our memories are a bit off...hehehe. anyway I used it for 10 years or so as my primary architecture work briefcase, then I bought a hand made leather satchel and graduated the old 257 to my field measuring bag, holding tapes and levels etc for building site work. Still use it for that in fact! Of course now I have gone back to Filson and bought a black 257 for some general paperwork and use a Vermilyea Pelle briefcase as my primary work bag. That is an awesome briefcase too!

BTW: previous poster pondering Carhart seat covers for their truck. I put them in my F-150 about 3 years ago and love them!.. totally worth it.

Welcome aboard! Fellow #257 appreciator. Research has placed the Rugged Twill Line was created by Stanley Kohls sometime in the year 1992. Out of curiosity, what made you decide black and not one of the more traditional colors? According to my Color Challenge, Black was the least common behind Brown

Last edited:

singjai

Reaction score

Nice, would really like to see some pics of the bags sometime.

Not sure where the original source of when the twill luggages came out (it was before I was even born lol) but I think the consensus most of the members here and a couple articles I read dates it as early as 91/92.

But if you do have an ah ha moment and think otherwise, I'm sure a lot of us would appreciate the input. The seller I bought my 256 from said he bought it in 89-90 but I figured it's possible he got the decades mixed up.

thefringthing

Reaction score
Has Filson ever made backpacks in navy twill?

thefringthing

Reaction score
They made the Journeyman in Navy, but I am unsure how long it's been discontinued.
Quick answer! I guess I'll set up a saved search on eBay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads