• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On unrelated news I am toying with the idea of selling my Navy First Edition Riveted Journeyman. I’m entertaining the idea of a Ranger Green GoRuck GR2 34L. Luckily those are still made in the USA, and not Vietnam like some of their other products.

1E7B3AB9-1337-4106-80A9-3D475A9E9C42.jpeg

seven20

Reaction score
Really helpful, thanks. 257 might be the way to go then. Any idea what an appropriate price is for one in new/good condition, given they are discontinued? For example I see a navy one on eBay for $350, but no clue if that’s good or not.
Anytime, happy to help. I think $350 is a bit steep, but honestly haven’t looked at the used market myself. I do know a filson retailer with a new 257 in Brown (if that’s your color) for $300 which was retail at the time they got the inventory. Also probably the only retailer I know of with medium 222 duffles in stock.

edit: just saw that you prefer green. good choice!

Last edited:

thewinedown

Reaction score
Anytime, happy to help. I think $350 is a bit steep, but honestly haven’t looked at the used market myself. I do know a filson retailer with a new 257 in Brown (if that’s your color) for $300 which was retail at the time they got the inventory. Also probably the only retailer I know of with medium 222 duffles in stock.

edit: just saw that you prefer green. good choice!
Yep I think it’s got to be green all the way.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Since others are continuing the debate, I’ll have to remind you that Filson determines weight in ounces, not thickness. That’s why it’s listed as either 22oz or as the Filson advertisement lists; 18 OUNCES. If it were in millimeters previous tests would certainly hold water. As I’m sure you are aware, ounces are a measure of volume and weight, not thickness. Millimeters are a measure of length, which is not part of the debate, it’s science, which is irrefutable. This is why many have felt (by comparison) the difference or feeling of lightness when handling an older 22oz Filson and one of the newer bags (2018 and up). Heck Filson doesn’t even use ounce weight in their descriptions regardless, they have converted to the unintelligible “100% Cotton Rugged Twill Made with 2ply and 3ply Yarns”. A drastic unrecognizable difference from a near 25 year tradition of listing each bag as being made of “22oz Rugged Twill”.

Hope that clears up the confusion
Lol!!! Do a blind test, I’ll bet you a whiskey you couldn’t tell a weight difference!

Stratkat

Reaction score
Just grabbed a small Pullman that had been sitting for quite a while in a shop I like. I really like the way it packs. I think it’s going to replace my 48 hour!
CB4AA5BE-E42E-4D30-A1F1-0965C6EF94B5.jpeg

singjai

Reaction score
Lol!!! Do a blind test, I’ll bet you a whiskey you couldn’t tell a weight difference!
I think you're missing the point here.... You've shown those measurements with the calipers several times and in every instance someone argued you can't measure mass/density based off of just distance. Are you choosing to ignore the fact or are you still not getting it...

Let's say you take two blocks of wood that are the exact same size, one being oak and the other being pine. Your logic is telling me both of them should weigh the same because they're both the same exact size? I'm pretty sure oak is more dense than pine, hence it weighing more.

Now I don't think anyone is claiming these new bags are any less durable than the older ones or trying to deter someone from buying a newly manufactured bag but if someone is genuinely concerned or curious, everyone should be allowed to inform them. You have all the right to answer their questions with your thoughts just like everyone else but there's no need to comment on other's posts just because you disagree. Why not just move on?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is why many have felt (by comparison) the difference or feeling of lightness when handling an older 22oz Filson and one of the newer bags (2018 and up), despite the thickness or construction not changing, at least to the naked eye

Other's already have and some even included testimonials on video, is their word not good enough? I think you just made my point BTW. Either way what does it matter if I can feel a difference or not? It's the principle of the matter, Filson has not reduced their price for offering a lesser product, despite the savings from lesser material, and they have not been open about it either, a least not intentionally. It's a shady business practice that often happens before or during a decline. I don't think many will disagree that modern day Filson is a shell of what they once were, before they routinely sold Chilean Snack Tables, Baseball Bats, Bocce Ball Sets, and an ever increasing number of Ballistic Nylon Luggage. This isn't a full knock against Filson, they have been shown to be truthful about certain luggage items being made overseas, but it almost seems you have to pry it out of them with the Jaws of Life.

On the flip-side you have a much newer and smaller company like GoRuck, who recently made a switch to overseas production for some of their products, and the company did a full article release on the upcoming changes. Many were still not happy, but A+ for honesty and integrity. Plus they were able to pass the savings onto the customer by lowering some of their prices.

Last edited:

McRiz

Reaction score
Below are screenshots from the Filson website from June 2017, discussing the 22 ounce rugged twill.

Stratkat, why did Filson remove the reference to the weight of its rugged twill? I think at some point, Filson also "mistakenly" indicated that the fabric weight was 18 ounce? Now there is no weight reference whatsoever. Isn't that just poor marketing, if you are right that there has been no material change to the fabric weight?

Attachments

• 20200712_202008.jpg
    20200712_202008.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200712_202031.jpg
    20200712_202031.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 50

McRiz

Reaction score
The discussion on the 18-ounce mistake appears around page 555 of this thread. Someone attached an excerpt from an old catalog referencing the 22 ounce weight of the twill.

Stratkat, why did Filson remove the weight reference? Extremely poor marketing? I will gladly accept a MacCallan 12 when you are ready.

Attachments

• DBB6155D-502E-4CC1-BBDF-E7C979065A1C.jpeg
    DBB6155D-502E-4CC1-BBDF-E7C979065A1C.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 57

McRiz

Reaction score
Here is the recent "field note" about the rugged twill from the website.

I think a lot of companies, such as Frost River, Duluth and VP, use an 18 ounce twill - which is considered rugged. I think heavy twill is about 24 ounce or more. Why is there no reference whatsoever by Filson about the weight of its rugged twill?

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below are screenshots from the Filson website from June 2017, discussing the 22 ounce rugged twill.

Stratkat, why did Filson remove the reference to the weight of its rugged twill? I think at some point, Filson also "mistakenly" indicated that the fabric weight was 18 ounce? Now there is no weight reference whatsoever. Isn't that just poor marketing, if you are right that there has been no material change to the fabric weight?
Do you know what I think? I think it was made with 22oz twill when everything started. They only had one color and it was fairly simple to get a consistent product. Over the years they kept the 22oz claim the same through very subtle changes in how the manufacturer went about making the product (on purpose or because they had no choice). When they started making additional colors, the weight was not the same. Black and brown we’re both very thick and heavy, but navy almost always lighter. So then comes 2016 and bedrock is looking to cost cut and they ask the manufacturer how they can get a less expensive product. Manufacturer says well if we dont do as heavy of a waxing that saves us time on finishing, less cost in the product and makes transport cheaper. They realized at this time that there’s no way 22oz is still an accurate statement for all their twill products, so rather than make a claim that simply can’t be true they took the weight off altogether.

It could also be that none of the “2016” stuff happened and really they just said, “our twill varies in weight by color so we better not just say it’s all 22oz” but I speculate that they know they made a change. Sorry for the essay, but like many have said there is a difference in the “stiffness” of the older twill. Likely a difference in the finish or wax but difficult to say.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just grabbed a small Pullman that had been sitting for quite a while in a shop I like. I really like the way it packs. I think it’s going to replace my 48 hour! View attachment 1423002
Nice. I moved from the 48 to a 242 carry on (also smaller clamshell) to have twill not tin, and for just a little extra capacity plus the clamshell convenience. Although it doesn’t have the handy front pockets the big flat pocket works just as well as long as the main bag isn’t overstuffed. The vestigial trolley strap on the 48 bothered me a bit too, always though that would have been better as a pocket. Enjoy.

seven20

Reaction score
Picked up a bag I’ve wanted ever since I got into the filson brand, the Filson x Harris tweed and twill briefcase 70066. I found this one brand new with tags from a filson retailer

I have always been a bit leery of moving to the standard size briefcase as I’ve always had a 257 and at one point when working full time and in grad school would fill it up. Back then I carried my work laptop and my personal laptop 3 days a week. Since last May I find myself trying to find things to put in it every day. I recently purchased a 24 hour bag for my son and looking at the interior I decided I could make it work.
If I ever go back to the office I’m really excited.

Attachments

• FDDB7C0D-2DAB-4067-9DC0-2A312E06A492.jpeg
    FDDB7C0D-2DAB-4067-9DC0-2A312E06A492.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 469DA7CF-2141-4B30-B31B-5E7ECDE936B7.jpeg
    469DA7CF-2141-4B30-B31B-5E7ECDE936B7.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 190B7721-BDA2-478E-BDA3-86DF11BB3C91.jpeg
    190B7721-BDA2-478E-BDA3-86DF11BB3C91.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 59

thewinedown

Reaction score
I snagged a duffle during Filson's summer sale, and I see today that it has dropped an additional $50. I emailed Filson to see if they would honor this new price (the one I ordered hasn't even arrived yet). Does anyone know how they typically handle this? Otherwise, I would need to return the first one and order again, which just seems silly and wasteful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads