• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevadabob

Reaction score
I'd personally go 258 over 257. I would also consider the 240. I'd rather have the extra space and not need it than to need the space and not have it.

singjai

Reaction score
Toyota guy here. Bought a brand new 4wd Tacoma in 03, sold it last fall. Had a set of tools in it, the only thing I ever used them for was to change one tire and tighten the side plastic cover on my seat, and the door latch catch!
Traded it in for a 2019.
My dad has the same one and it's still running strong today. I drove it for a while in high school and college - very good memories lol. Driving a truck as a daily isn't feasible in my position but still my favorite type of vehicle to drive.

singjai

Reaction score
Hey friends. Help steer a semi-newb in the right direction here. I’ve read hundreds of pages of this thread but still don’t quite know what I need. I have a small and medium duffle already. Now I’m looking for an edc shoulder bag that can also work as a personal item on flights (maybe 2 to 6 times per year, covid not withstanding). Everyday day stuff being maybe a small laptop or iPad Pro, a book, compact umbrella, pens, paper, etc. the usual stuff really. Nothing larger like cameras and lenses.

I lean toward rugged twill over tin, but am open to either. Do you all tend to wax your twill as well? The briefcase seems good but perhaps a little slim/small when it switches over to carry on/personal item duty. So where does that leave me? The 24 Hour? Something else?

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate the expertise of this sub.

Late to the show but 257 or 240 (both discontinued I think) were the first two bags that popped up for me.. I have both the 257 and 256. Carried the 257 for years but as my need to carry things dwindled so did the need to use the 257. I switched over to the 256 a few months ago and repurposed the 257 into a tool bag. Also, don't get the 240 mixed up with the medium field bag, I'm pretty sure they're different bags.

I think a guy on this forum did a review of both bags I mentioned above.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have the extra space and not need it than to need the space and not have it.

That’s exactly how I feel about the 256. I’ve owned a #70258 before but found it to be too cumbersome for daily carry. Maybe it excels during travel, but to me it felt too much like luggage rather then a briefcase, so I exchanged it for a 24HR, and later my Talon 257

converge

Reaction score
When did Filson lower the quality of the twill? I have an otter green 256 made on 12/12. Is that still 22oz?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My addiction is the same. Oh, and I forgot I have two of the tin cloth field duffles. I use one for the gym and one is my sons.
We’re getting a lab puppy in a few weeks and my wife’s already giving me a hard time bc I said I needed a bag for walks around the property.
I have found the best dog walking "bag" is the trout fishing fanny pack. Can put treats in one front pocket, bags for poop pickup in the other and it will fit a small bottle of water and a collapsable bowl. I removed the sheepskin fly material. It works great. Dogs now know when I put it on, we are walking!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did Filson lower the quality of the twill? I have an otter green 256 made on 12/12. Is that still 22oz?

Unfortunately this topic has been discussed at nauseam, so I’ll just link you to the most recent page number. Your 2012 is fine BTW, definitely 22oz.

Stratkat

Reaction score
really, you guys kill me. here again are measurements taken at the same location on both a talon era outfitter, and a brand new sportsman (the blocks give the calipers clearance to clear the double seam of the pocket, and spread the measurement over a larger surface area to avoid crushing the material and giving false readings).

View attachment 1416239 View attachment 1416240 View attachment 1416241
... and I’ll just repost this so you have an actual hands on comparison.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since others are continuing the debate, I’ll have to remind you that Filson determines weight in ounces, not thickness. Density and Thickness are separate instruments of measure. That’s why it’s listed as either 22oz or as the Filson advertisement lists; 18 OUNCES. If it were in millimeters/inches/centimeters previous tests would certainly hold water. As I’m sure you are aware, ounces are a measure of volume and weight, not thickness. Millimeters are a measure of length, which is not part of the debate, it’s science, which is irrefutable. This is why many have felt (by comparison) the difference or feeling of lightness when handling an older 22oz Filson and one of the newer bags (2018 and up), despite the thickness or construction not changing, at least to the naked eye. Heck Filson doesn’t even use ounce weight in their descriptions regardless, they have converted to the unintelligible “100% Cotton Rugged Twill Made with 2ply and 3ply Yarns”. A drastic unrecognizable difference from a near 25 year tradition of listing each bag as being made of “22oz Rugged Twill”. The fact that they even changed it, is suspect alone.

Hope that clears up the confusion

Last edited:

thewinedown

Reaction score
Like OMG I also like the 257 for when I travel. I carry the 257 and a small duffle for 2 night trips, 257 and medium for longer. I have the older medium 222 which is overkill even for 3-4 nights.

What color do you prefer?

Nice, thanks. I’d go for the otter green for sure.

thewinedown

Reaction score
#257 all the way. Perfect companion to a duffel or MTB (as seen below). It’s better then the #256 because of it’s built in organization sleeves and pockets. Some will disagree with me on that, especially those that have removed theirs. However a #256 struggles to hold larger laptops and lacks padding. I am not a fan of having to buy pouches for my things, so I require the bag to feature interior organization. It’s a timeless classic, tracing its roots back to the beginning of Rugged Twill (1992 or thereabouts), and looks excellent with or without patina. They are one of the many luggage items discontinued by Bedrock Filson, but eBay has them and so do our resident Filson slingers: @GzStudio and @TinMan3 .

View attachment 1422534

View attachment 1422535

View attachment 1422536
Really helpful, thanks. 257 might be the way to go then. Any idea what an appropriate price is for one in new/good condition, given they are discontinued? For example I see a navy one on eBay for $350, but no clue if that’s good or not.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really helpful, thanks. 257 might be the way to go then. Any idea what an appropriate price is for one in new/good condition, given they are discontinued? For example I see a navy one on eBay for $350, but no clue if that’s good or not.

I wouldn’t go by what’s available to determine a fair price. It’s really dependent on the seller and being realistic. I got my well preserved Talon 257 for well under $300. In my case the seller really didn’t know what they were sitting on, which is pretty rare. If you’re patient you can find almost anything at a fair price. If you need something sooner, I would PM one of our resident Filson sellers on this forum and see what they have in inventory, they sell on and off of eBay. @GzStudio or @TinMan3 chime in if you’d like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads