• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rudy83

Reaction score
Hi All, just wrote a short introduction in the appropriate thread.

I came here while researching Filson bags, as I was looking to get me one.

I carry a small satchel on a daily basis with my essentials: Keys, wallet, water bottle, book, multitool and so on. I have been into the vintage / surplus bags. I spent quite some time (and $$) on finding original shoulder bags from the WW2 era and own several. They are however all old, and some have lost their strength. Also, while cool and manly and all, they are not very business-appropriate.

Enter Filson! I immediately liked the small field bag in tan. So, went to my nearest Filson dealership (not very close by...) with the intent to pick one up. Got in there, looked at the bag and from the corner of my eye saw the Otter Green variant sitting there. I took a few minutes to find some 'Otter green patina' images, and had a very nervous and sweaty 30 minutes deciding.

In the end, I went for Otter green and haven't looked back. Can't wait for the patina! The closure strap has already softened up quite a bit in a weeks time.

I will shoot some pics of it and post them, however, I feel you all know what a new one looks like. If you are interested I can post some pics of the vintage bags I have as well.

Let me end this long rambling with a question / remark: According to Filson's site the strap is adjustable to a maximum of 120cm (48"). Is it me or is that short? I'm not a tall guy (Portuguese roots) and not a big guy, so it just works out. I can imagine if a tall dude with a more 'well built' physique wears this it will be stuck under his armpit...

Thanks for reading!

TL;DR:
Otter green small field bag - happy with it - pictures soon

Well, after about 3,5 months of carry, and laying around due to quarantine, the stitching on the leather holding the ring that the strap hooks onto is unraveling on both sides of the bag. There is still a rivet in place there, but still. I expected better I guess.

I have received a shipping address for Filson Europe to send my bag to for repair. I'm in doubt if I should send it in. I have access to waxed thread and am positive I could do a better job at making an everlasting stitch, but feel I shouldn't have to. If I send it in I will be without the bag for a few months probably.

Any advice on what to do?

Winston2

Reaction score
Well, after about 3,5 months of carry, and laying around due to quarantine, the stitching on the leather holding the ring that the strap hooks onto is unraveling on both sides of the bag. There is still a rivet in place there, but still. I expected better I guess.

I have received a shipping address for Filson Europe to send my bag to for repair. I'm in doubt if I should send it in. I have access to waxed thread and am positive I could do a better job at making an everlasting stitch, but feel I shouldn't have to. If I send it in I will be without the bag for a few months probably.

That stinks. Although I don’t know, it might be better to send to Filson to repair in the event the warranty could be voided by doing your own repair work.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That’s tedious. I’m in the Uk and have had one repair done. I know that they used a third party because they told me so. In other words, there isn’t a magic Filson Fixit Factory in Europe. So the stitching they’ll do will be done in just the same way that you are planning.
So if you have a big needle, a thimble or fid and some matching brown thread you can get it done.
But if you can live without the bag for 3-4 weeks and want the certainty of it done right, send it in.

Rudy83

Reaction score
That’s tedious. I’m in the Uk and have had one repair done. I know that they used a third party because they told me so. In other words, there isn’t a magic Filson Fixit Factory in Europe. So the stitching they’ll do will be done in just the same way that you are planning.
So if you have a big needle, a thimble or fid and some matching brown thread you can get it done.
But if you can live without the bag for 3-4 weeks and want the certainty of it done right, send it in.

If it gets repaired properly, I'd send it in. From new the stitching was a machine stitch with untied ends. If this third party were to do it properly, and would tie the ends off, of send it in in a heartbeat.

I guess I'll just send it in, the DIY route can always be taken if it comes back and unravels again.

Thanks for the replies.

Mrfuzon

Reaction score
do you guys have a care regiment for your bags? Ie condition or wax

seven20

Reaction score
5 years in with my oldest and most used 257. I put leather treatment on it for the first time around February bc the strap was looking rough. EDC bag and I walked about 1 mile each way in downtown Atlanta for 3.5 years to catch the bus. Lots of sun, rain, etc and it’s still great otherwise.

thefringthing

Reaction score
I brush them off with a garment brush from time to time but that's all.

thewinedown

Reaction score
Hey friends. Help steer a semi-newb in the right direction here. I’ve read hundreds of pages of this thread but still don’t quite know what I need. I have a small and medium duffle already. Now I’m looking for an edc shoulder bag that can also work as a personal item on flights (maybe 2 to 6 times per year, covid not withstanding). Everyday day stuff being maybe a small laptop or iPad Pro, a book, compact umbrella, pens, paper, etc. the usual stuff really. Nothing larger like cameras and lenses.

I lean toward rugged twill over tin, but am open to either. Do you all tend to wax your twill as well? The briefcase seems good but perhaps a little slim/small when it switches over to carry on/personal item duty. So where does that leave me? The 24 Hour? Something else?

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate the expertise of this sub.

Stratkat

Reaction score
And on the "old" vs new car theme. Had a 1979 Jeep CJ7, was made of solid steel, and when it ran ok, was a great vehicle, would go through snow that would stop everything else. It had it's issues (poor heat, no AC, manual that sometimes wouldn't engage, electrical that would cut out (but only at night when one needed lights), leaked ****** fluid like a sieve, etc) but overall a damn good workhorse. One had to carry a tool kit, and some spare things like hoses and fluids, but wish I still had it.
Toyota guy here. Bought a brand new 4wd Tacoma in 03, sold it last fall. Had a set of tools in it, the only thing I ever used them for was to change one tire and tighten the side plastic cover on my seat, and the door latch catch!
Traded it in for a 2019.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey friends. Help steer a semi-newb in the right direction here. I’ve read hundreds of pages of this thread but still don’t quite know what I need. I have a small and medium duffle already. Now I’m looking for an edc shoulder bag that can also work as a personal item on flights (maybe 2 to 6 times per year, covid not withstanding). Everyday day stuff being maybe a small laptop or iPad Pro, a book, compact umbrella, pens, paper, etc. the usual stuff really. Nothing larger like cameras and lenses.

I lean toward rugged twill over tin, but am open to either. Do you all tend to wax your twill as well? The briefcase seems good but perhaps a little slim/small when it switches over to carry on/personal item duty. So where does that leave me? The 24 Hour? Something else?

#257 all the way. Perfect companion to a duffel or MTB (as seen below). It’s better then the #256 because of it’s built in organization sleeves and pockets. Some will disagree with me on that, especially those that have removed theirs. However a #256 struggles to hold larger laptops and lacks padding. I am not a fan of having to buy pouches for my things, so I require the bag to feature interior organization. It’s a timeless classic, tracing its roots back to the beginning of Rugged Twill (1992 or thereabouts), and looks excellent with or without patina. They are one of the many luggage items discontinued by Bedrock Filson, but eBay has them and so do our resident Filson slingers: @GzStudio and @TinMan3 .

71A2CB9A-76BC-46E7-8AFA-E2A7139128A0.jpeg

B6FC364A-0827-4D8A-A83A-2759ACAADCC4.jpeg

A94D3F34-2E12-4D30-B69F-AFDF96C3B537.jpeg

seven20

Reaction score

Like OMG I also like the 257 for when I travel. I carry the 257 and a small duffle for 2 night trips, 257 and medium for longer. I have the older medium 222 which is overkill even for 3-4 nights.

What color do you prefer?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like OMG I also like the 257 for when I travel. I carry the 257 and a small duffle for 2 night trips, 257 and medium for longer. I have the older medium 222 which is overkill even for 3-4 nights.

What color do you prefer?
When, and if ever again, I travel...I like my 48 hr bag as main luggage, holds darn near everything I need for a few days away. I also take my 24 hr bag, as it will fit under seat in front of me and I can carry 1 change of clothing, some toiletries, my iPad and phone and chargers, so if for some reason the 48 hr gets lost (highly unlikely as it's in the overhead) I can survive for at least a day. As an aside, always got comments on the Filson luggage from fellow travelers. Had tan for years, but went with Blue last year and love the blue.

seven20

Reaction score
When, and if ever again, I travel...I like my 48 hr bag as main luggage, holds darn near everything I need for a few days away. I also take my 24 hr bag, as it will fit under seat in front of me and I can carry 1 change of clothing, some toiletries, my iPad and phone and chargers, so if for some reason the 48 hr gets lost (highly unlikely as it's in the overhead) I can survive for at least a day. As an aside, always got comments on the Filson luggage from fellow travelers. Had tan for years, but went with Blue last year and love the blue.
I’m a huge fan of the looks of the 24/48 hour bags. The 257 and small duffle were my first Bags and (outside of a 24 hr for my son) I haven’t ventured into tin cloth. Visually I think they’re more pleasing to look at though

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m a huge fan of the looks of the 24/48 hour bags. The 257 and small duffle were my first Bags and (outside of a 24 hr for my son) I haven’t ventured into tin cloth. Visually I think they’re more pleasing to look at though
I have had/still have a number of Filson bags, carried a 257? as a briefcase for years. Got a medium field bag for fishing, then another one for Dog walking, then fishing hip pack, then 24 hrs, small field, 48 hour, **** it's worse than my shoe thing.........

seven20

Reaction score
I have had/still have a number of Filson bags, carried a 257? as a briefcase for years. Got a medium field bag for fishing, then another one for Dog walking, then fishing hip pack, then 24 hrs, small field, 48 hour, **** it's worse than my shoe thing.........
My addiction is the same. Oh, and I forgot I have two of the tin cloth field duffles. I use one for the gym and one is my sons.
We’re getting a lab puppy in a few weeks and my wife’s already giving me a hard time bc I said I needed a bag for walks around the property.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads